_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Wet or not to wet......
69mudbone
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 362 posts
Armorama: 285 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 11:59 PM UTC
Hey Guys,

Any one ever use a " wet palette"? I have seen a you tube video, it seems to make sense.,just finished a tank for my first diarama and I have to face the big elephant in the room.....the figures. I believe they can make or break the diarama. I live In the desert southwest and it does not take long for things to dry up real quick. The guy in the video says it took his game up. Comments most welcomed.
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2016 - 12:25 AM UTC
Absolutely! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Since using the wet palette method, my acrylics don't dry out as fast as before ... like in between every dip of the brush! I use a shallow plastic container with a sealable lid which allows me to take breaks and return (sometimes days later) for another painting session. My skills still suck, but that's another story!

—mike
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2016 - 12:34 AM UTC
I use a wet palette, too. It is great for things like wood tools where you want slight variations in tone even on the same piece.

You can also buy retarder in a tube which slows your drying time.

Gaz
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2016 - 11:18 AM UTC
Another happy user. Acrylics last way more and do not get thick. Give it a try.
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2016 - 07:49 PM UTC
I started using one about a week ago and can't for the life of me figure out why I didn't start using one sooner.

joepanzer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2016 - 10:19 PM UTC
Step one: Try the wet Palette
Step two: Move out of the desert southwest
Lokis_Tyro
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 01:01 AM UTC
Does this help with the top of the paint gobs drying up? That is my problem with acrylic paints. There's always a skin that forms on the areas exposed to air.

The materials needed for a wet palette are a tub with cover, a sponge and parchment paper?
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 02:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Does this help with the top of the paint gobs drying up? That is my problem with acrylic paints. There's always a skin that forms on the areas exposed to air.

The materials needed for a wet palette are a tub with cover, a sponge and parchment paper?

1. Yes ... dependent on the length of your painting sessions. There is always evaporation to some degree, but the wet palette really helps matters.

Note: You will still need to keep the paint puddles active (occasionally stirred). Also, keep your brushes wet.

2. Yes. And you can substitute the sponge with 'Scotch-Brite Absorbent Counter Wipes' or a folded-up paper towel — just need a water absorbing later under the parchment paper. HTH.

—mike
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 05:13 AM UTC
Oops ... I meant to say 'Scotch-Brite Absorbent Counter Cloths,' not "Wipes."
Lokis_Tyro
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 10:05 AM UTC
Thanks for the help. I'll try a couple blue shop towels on glass with parchment paper until I find something more suitable.
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 05:15 PM UTC
I use a single layer of ordinary kitchen paper towel and that works just fine. And a cool thing I learned about the parchment paper is that once the whole thing dries out the paint doesn't stick to it. When I'm done painting I just leave everything to dry overnight, and the next day I pick up the little pucks of paint off the parchment, throw them away, add fresh water to the palette, and start again without having to replace the paper.

69mudbone
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 362 posts
Armorama: 285 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 11:41 PM UTC
Hey Guys,

Thanks for your feedback. I just finished working with the wet palette the last couple of days and it performs as stated in the you tube videos, I highly recommend it and it does not cost much to put it together
stephenmodel
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 74 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 12:56 AM UTC
I use a wet pallet when i am working for long periods of time. I also use it for doing wet on wet blending.

There is a technique i learned called the loaded brush. You load some paint on the brush and create a nice point. then you dab you brush into the color you want to blend into and get that lightly on the tip. When you go to paint it will start with the color on the tip and then, while painting, the color from inside the bristles will come out and blend itno the color from the tip

Its a little weird to explain but this guys does it perfectly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcWAIbivk7c

He does it on a large 54mmm miniature but you can see how we use it on small vehicles parts and our figures.
hutch2336
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 73 posts
Armorama: 54 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 01:09 AM UTC
Good thread and interesting too
I started with a wet palette painting heads for the first time a year ago, I have progressed to "paint by number" tubs now as it holds more paint of each shade and lasts longer,works for me as I do heads on a large scale, just finished a bakers dozen

but I still use a wet palette for the figure bodies now, if I am doing just one or 2 at a time rather than production line work!

Enjoy painting it really helps

Steve H
 _GOTOTOP