_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Osprey: Five New Books to While Away some hours
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
Armorama: 1,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 04:45 AM UTC

Osprey has several new books by their heavy hitters (Estes, Zaloga, Dunstan, and Galeotti) coming out for the next several months. WW2, Vietnam, modern, etc. in the standard Osprey format.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 06:06 AM UTC
By "some hours", I would estimate three, perhaps four, for the five books combined. An author once sent me the text file of his Osprey book to review for accuracy. As I recall, the entire text - including captions - was on the order of 24 pages long. Surprisingly, there's really not that much to most Osprey books.

KL
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 07:08 AM UTC
Great! Really looking forward to that title on the South African border conflicts. Great choice of subject matter, Osprey!!
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 07:22 AM UTC
Can't have too many books, especially about obscure things like South African armor.
avenue
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 544 posts
Armorama: 542 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 08:55 AM UTC
wonder if osprey have plan to release Chieftain vs. T-62 (Iran-iraq war) in the future?
ULIX-VM
Visit this Community
Puerto Rico
KitMaker: 834 posts
Armorama: 649 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 02:13 AM UTC
ontos means in greek(one).
Pave-Hawk
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 900 posts
Armorama: 510 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 04:33 AM UTC
Of course there is a book about the Ontos, well after I finish building mine.
ChrisJohnson
KitMaker: 65 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 03:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

By "some hours", I would estimate three, perhaps four, for the five books combined. An author once sent me the text file of his Osprey book to review for accuracy. As I recall, the entire text - including captions - was on the order of 24 pages long. Surprisingly, there's really not that much to most Osprey books.
KL

With their standard formats and sweeping subject range, I look at them as excellent primers for further study. Not to be dismissed lightly.

Cheers,

Chris
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 03:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

With their standard formats and sweeping subject range, I look at them as excellent primers for further study. Not to be dismissed lightly.

I would use the phrase "brief introductions to the subject".

There's nothing wrong with them per se, they are just short as reference books go.

KL
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
Armorama: 1,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 03:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

KL

Cheers,

Chris

More importantly, after talking with a few of the authors, there's no perceived demand for longer (and costlier) books on many of the subjects. We get an overview or we don't get anything in many cases. Which is sad that the bottom has dropped out of the military publishing world but there you go.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 03:47 PM UTC
Got to admit most Ospreys I've looked at are a variable feast. There's only so much content that can fit in a 96-page format, and some topics are more sweeping than others. But the big question will be the illustrations - will the US Armor book have anything to add in the way of useful reference pics for modellers? We'll have to wait for a review to tell us...
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 07:28 PM UTC
Osprey's photo formats are usually too small for really useful reference, and sometimes the artists' renderings are laughable, but the text is good as a historical reference - especially in the Campaign, and Battles series.
 _GOTOTOP