_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Color scheme for Soviiet T-64a mod 1981?
Phil5000
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 165 posts
Armorama: 135 posts
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2016 - 02:41 PM UTC
Hi guys,

So I'm working on this kit but I'm unsure how to paint it. The box art and painting guide shows a two color cammo with sand and green, but I thought that was modern Russian. I want mine to be Soviet so should it be plain Russian green?

And if it is can anyone suggest a good colour brand and number for it? It almost looks olive drab, but with more green than brown that US vehicles.

Thanks guys.
http://img01.militaryblog.jp/usr/report/All_Japan_Hobby_Show_2012_Trumpeter_005.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_efr1EkVJX9ErRZu5p3H5lXtbTJhfhXifQM7w5KCOQKhOGaG1
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 08:59 AM UTC
Plain Russian dark green is most common for Russian/Soviet T-64 tanks. Green for a Russian tank, however, is a bit of a puzzle...and what paint do you have available? It is best to find what you like in a photo and work from that, or else you can get stuck trying to make something perfect that cannot be made perfect. Here is an example: What green in all of this is correct? All of it has been properly applied and weathered.

There was some "cammo" schemes used in the past, mostly local mud swabbed over the tank in generic patterns, with a mop.
Phil5000
Visit this Community
New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 08:11 AM UTC
Thanks Jacques,

I will paint it all in green. I prefer Vallejo but I can get hold of anything on ebay. I'm thinking of going with their US Olive Drab and adding green. The ones in that photo look almost khaki though, but I think that will be a bit too light.

What about cammo nets? I know they weren't common on Soviet tanks but were they unheard of? I ran into a snag with the kit. The headlight guards are poor quality so I cut them off and tried to fashion my own out of copper wire with only partial success. They look ok from the front but not the top so I want to cover the top with something. A cammo net would be ideal if not I'll have to use a tarp which would look a bit odd draped over the front.

Thanks again
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 08:42 PM UTC
Cammo nets are not common in photos, but T-64A's did use them:

Phil5000
Visit this Community
New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 09:07 AM UTC
Thanks again. That's super handy. I'll go ahead and use one then. It would have been a shame to scrap the project because of that one thing because I'm nearly finished and it does look quite impressive.

What about other stowage? I know it wouldn't be as plentiful as on an American tank but would a bedroll, tarp or pack be out of place?

Cheers.
 _GOTOTOP