_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Jagdpanther references?
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Monday, July 04, 2016 - 01:12 AM UTC
Besides the Panzer Tracts printed material (which I might end up getting) are there any on line references helping identify the differences between Early~Mid~Late Jagdpanthers?

I'm in the early stages of telling them apart but there are some confusing images with the Mid version and wondered if there are any websites for some quick help.

Thanks for reading!

Jeff
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Monday, July 04, 2016 - 03:07 AM UTC
I'd recommend just buying the book. Anything you find online about them is likely to be either derived from there or just outdated and wrong. It costs less than a Dragon kit and personally I think it's one of the best books in the series.
Jerrers2000
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 42 posts
Armorama: 40 posts
Posted: Monday, July 04, 2016 - 03:20 AM UTC
Have you tried - http://www.achtungpanzer.com/panzerjager-v-jagdpanther-sd-kfz-173.htm
Mannloon
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 99 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 02:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Besides the Panzer Tracts printed material (which I might end up getting) are there any on line references helping identify the differences between Early~Mid~Late Jagdpanthers?

I'm in the early stages of telling them apart but there are some confusing images with the Mid version and wondered if there are any websites for some quick help.

Thanks for reading!

Jeff

This is an introduction I wrote on a forum a few years ago when I built a Jagdpanther. I think it sums up the basics pretty well.

"The Jagdpanther had either a 8.8 cm Pak 43/3 or 43/4 L/71 on the very good Panther Chassis. Initially called "8.8 cm Pak 43/3 auf Panzerjager Panther", it was renamed JagdPanther and began production in January of 1944. There were technically 2 variants, the G1 and G2. but my impression is there are 3. The G1 early and G1 late, and G2. The early G1's made in 1944 were factory applied with Zimmerit, have a smaller internally bolted mantlet, two vision slots for the driver and a Panther A engine deck. The late G1's have the larger G2 mantlet, and I believe can have either gun, the monobloc or two part barrel. The G2's made in 1945 had no Zimmerit, the larger outer bolted mantlet, one driver vision slot, a Panther G engine deck and the two part gun. They are also distinguishable by the crew heater fan housing on the engine deck, and that all the pioneer tools are on the rear engine deck instead of the side of the tank. The G2's also commonly had flammenvernichter exhaust, but i don't know if that was dependent on which of the 3 factories they were made in or if all G2's had them."
 _GOTOTOP