_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
1:35 Zimmerit Tiger I Mid (Academy #13287)??
Halps_123
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 21 posts
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2016 - 11:19 AM UTC
Hi all,

I am just about to start my first Tiger I kit and am chasing some aftermarket zim to put on the Academy Mid kit #13287.

The kit comes with a zim tool for use with putty application.. but I don't feel too confident using it - and seeing as this is my first Tiger I wanna make it look great (and don't want a botched zim attempt to ruin that).

Any help with links to online places where I can get this in Australia would be great!

Cheers
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2016 - 11:55 AM UTC
Hi James,
I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I've a couple of Dragon Tigers that need Zim. So I am doing a little experiment. I got a sheet of Tamiya's Zimmerit stickers and put it on an old Tamiya Tiger. Fit is really good !The adhesive sticks well and you can pull it up if you get a wrinkle & reposition it. The Zim itself, to me, doesn't seem textured enough. But then again how much texture is there in 1/35th scale? Pre-molded Zim seems a bit too exaggerated.
Don't know how it will take paint yet.

Good Luck
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 05:29 AM UTC
Try ATAK for some Zimm for the Tiger. Nice stuff, comes premade, just glue it down.
Halps_123
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 01:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Try ATAK for some Zimm for the Tiger. Nice stuff, comes premade, just glue it down.

Thanks mate, much appreciated will give Atak a try, it seems the goods.

And cheers for that idea as well ivanhoe6, I'll have a look at the tamiya stickers.

Thanks for the replies, such a helpful community for a beginner armor modeler like myself!
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 06:40 PM UTC
I've seen the Tamiya zimmerit; it's about the same price as much better releases, such as ATAK. I found the Tamiya version a little disappointing.
stephenmodel
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 74 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 07:44 PM UTC
I got the eduard for my tiger 1 late. It might be good for you or they might have a mid version kit

here is an album of my eduard zimmerit
https://imgur.com/a/q6nhd
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 03:13 AM UTC
Stephen, great looking Tiger, THANKS for sharing ! From your pics the Eduard's Zim has really nice definition. Next project!
I went to Roll Models web site Atak zim was $33, Eduard & Tamiya's were about $10.
Post some pics of your Zimmed up Kitty James if you get a chance James !
Halps_123
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 07:08 AM UTC
Wow Stephen! that Tiger looks awesome! Are they the 'Tiger Aces' figures by Dragon on top? If so, I've also got them in the stash waiting for the completion of my Tiger. The zim looks excellent, might have a look around and see if Eduard do zim for mids. Cheers.

Big jump on price for the Atak zim there ivanhoe6, although it does look pretty convincing. I'll have to see how the bank is looking when I order them...

When I get around to finally finishing off the Tiger I'll try and upload some photos for you all, even for just some constructive criticism and helpful feedback to improve on my first Tiger attempt.

Happy modelling!
 _GOTOTOP