_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
Did Noth Veitnam use this...
Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,314 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 03:14 AM UTC
Hi guys,

I am wondering if anyone can advise / has photos of the Gaz - AAA truck with the quad maximum's on it??

As I am thinking it would be cool to do a North Veitnamise one if they used them.

Haven't had to much luck looking on the Veitnam war sites

Cheers Mike
pgb3476
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 977 posts
Armorama: 976 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 03:58 AM UTC
I have not seen photos, but highly doubtful. They had more modern types like the ZSU-57-2.
Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 04:01 AM UTC
Hi Greg,
Thanks for the reply, I will keep looking & hoping

Mike
namengr
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 332 posts
Armorama: 328 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 04:43 AM UTC
The war was fought when much newer weapons were available. Look to BTRs and such. DSHKs were around.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 05:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The war was fought when much newer weapons were available. Look to BTRs and such. DSHKs were around.

Well... Not so fast-- there are countless photos of Vietnamese forces with weapons going back to WWII and before. You could find German MP3s, Japanese Arisaka's, French Lebels, and lots of Soviet weapons from WWII in many photos of captured N. Vietnamese weapons stocks. Captured French weapons (with a healthy smattering of US Thompsons, grease guns and M1s carbines) were prevalent after 1954. Many German weapons supplied to Nationalist Chinese forces before WWII were captured by the Communist Chinese and found their way into N. Vietnamese hands. And of course WWII Soviet weapons were supplied to the North Vietnamese by both the Soviet Union and Communist China. There is a pre- WWII Soviet machine gun in the Fort Lewis Museum captured by the 9th Infantry Division in the late 60's-- still on its original WWI carriage.
Remember the N. Vietnamese were a composite force
of three different Armies-- prior to 1954 they were the Viet Minh, fighting first the Japanese and then the French. After independence, there was the regular N. Vietnamese Army (NVA) and the North and S. Vietnamese communist irregulars known collectively as the Viet Cong (VC). So it may have been possible to see older weapon systems like the Gaz AA vehicle being used by N. Vietnamese forces, especially early in the war. I don't have any photographic evidence, but history tells us these were very enterprising and ingenious folks-- It's not likely they'd throw anything away if it was useful just because it was obsolete. Even without photographic evidence it might be fun to come up with something on your own-- a beat up old truck with the machine guns covered with jungle camouflage maybe?
VR, Russ
Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 05:39 AM UTC
Hi Wayne,
Thanks for the reply, I already have a DSHK in waiting to do in the future

Hi Russ,
Yes my thoughts exactly unfortunitly I would be building for a club comp do need photos for reference, just thought would be a different opition than doing the kit Russian or German.

Thanks Mike
pgb3476
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 977 posts
Armorama: 976 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 09:08 PM UTC
Just one more comment, and not to rain on any bodies parade. Small arms are one thing, but trucks are another. Most of the Gaz AA's and AAA's were lost in the first year or two of WWII. After that the ZIS and Studebakers were much more common. I just really don't think any Gaz trucks would have made it there. The Soviets had a lot of much more modern types around.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 10:27 PM UTC
The GAZ-AAA AA version was a pre-war and early war vehicle. It became very scarce after the first few months of the war as the trucks were needed to haul supplies, tow artillery, etc... SFAIK they were no longer in use by 1942. Even if a few had survived by the time of the Vietnam War, I doubt they would have sent them...Vietnam, especially NORTH Vietnam, was not exactly wheeled vehicle friendly.

I understand the desire to do something different, but in this case you may have to either do something else (basically Russian or captured German) or regun it (DsHK or 37mm variants).
GarethM
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 11:36 PM UTC
If you really want to go wild, why not sure a Japanese or French truck?
Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 01:28 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the replies, looks like I will just do a russian one then

Mike
 _GOTOTOP