_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Der Silber Drachen
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,194 posts
Armorama: 1,077 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 04:17 AM UTC
Here's some shots of my latest figure project, Dragon's officer from the Pz IVE 3 in 1 kit basically OOB with a piece of stretched nylon thread for the upper piping on the cap. The base is 3 sheets of styrene. This was an exercise in sheens and marbling using Vallejos.

Kimmo

GidGar
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
KitMaker: 47 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 12:41 PM UTC
Well painted. I like the base idea, easy and effective. Thanks for sharing

Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 1,615 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 01:56 PM UTC
I don't know much about figure painting but this sure looks GREAT!
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 02:57 PM UTC
Thanks guys! Expanding on the base a little, if you're on a budget like I usually am, you can get rather nice bases from sheet styrene with a bit of practice. I have quite a bit of stock collected over the years so it gets put to good use. The trick to getting lovely random streaking for wood/marble grain is to use a fan brush. I usually make them wood, this time around I went for marble.

Kimmo
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 06:43 PM UTC
I did a few bases for dios using wood painted to look like marble. Nice technique. I first saw it in Europe as a lot of the older churches used this when they didn't have the money or access to real marble. Nice job!
J
ColinEdm
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 1,229 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 06:55 PM UTC
Nicely done Kimmo! All with acrylics? Did you use any glaze or retarder to help with blending?
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 07:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nicely done Kimmo! All with acrylics? Did you use any glaze or retarder to help with blending?

Thanks Colin! Yep, all acrylics. You guessed right, glaze all the way. I've found a touch or two really helps with blending (layering, technically speaking)if you work quickly. I've also started tinting my clear coats to get a nice uniform feel, it also helps to tone down extreme highlights or shadows. Another bonus was depth for the coat and boots. For the marbling I work wet on wet, so first a thinned glaze coat, then colour and streaking and add as many layers as needed.

Kimmo
 _GOTOTOP