_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
News
Vallejo: Soviet and American Colours
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 02:53 PM UTC

There are two new sets of colours from Vallejo on their ModelAir range, one for WWII Russian camouflage colours and another for US Army MERDC Camo Colours.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
maxcyprus
Visit this Community
Kaliningrad, Russia
KitMaker: 13 posts
Armorama: 13 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 03:16 PM UTC
very usefull
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 07:49 PM UTC
MERDC - good choice for a set.
fhvn4d
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 564 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 08:12 PM UTC
taaakke my moonneeeyy
srmalloy
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 336 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 09:21 PM UTC
A minor nitpick about the description of the MERDC color set -- the pattern was the same for every vehicle of a type (i.e., all M113s used the same pattern); it was the colors that changed according to the environment the vehicle was in.
GLAARG
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 25 posts
Armorama: 17 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 12:43 AM UTC
Have a care, sometimes the 'official' colors are not as good as some alternates. For whatever reason, the period Dark Green 34079 (What the MERDC mistakenly calls 'Forest Green'), when applied over the Field Drab, came out looking more like traditional, WWII, OD.The best match for this is in fact German Field Grey as that 'neither a green nor a blue grey' color. Similarly, Field Drab itself was often a _lot_ darker than the ruddy tan which is shown and came out looking almost like an olive khaki, similar to SAC Bomber Green. The best match for this is RAF Dark Earth.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 08:07 AM UTC
Where's earth yellow and earth red? Can't do California or Texas National Guard tanks without them. New Jersey M48A5s also had those colors in Camp Drum.
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 11:13 AM UTC
Could you clarify the comment about the MERDC mistakenly calling something Forest Green? My original drawings clearly have a colour described as such, which makes me wonder why if it is a mistake. I seem to recall that FG was the base colour for a while between the OD and three-colour NATO schemes so are you saying that that colour was actually Dark Green?
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 11:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Could you clarify the comment about the MERDC mistakenly calling something Forest Green? My original drawings clearly have a colour described as such, which makes me wonder why if it is a mistake. I seem to recall that FG was the base colour for a while between the OD and three-colour NATO schemes so are you saying that that colour was actually Dark Green?

A lot of it was unit discretion. Since most painting was unit, even crew level there would be variations. Like many USAEUR units leaving out the sand highlight in fall/winter verdant scheme. CONUS units would use dark green rather than forest green because the forest green paint as supplied could be nearly black.

And supply had a ton of dark green and no forest green. Existing stocks will be used.

That is why New Jersey national Guard tanks at Camp Drum by 1988 were sand, earth yellow with earth red and light green touch ups and occasional patches of brown olive drab...
 _GOTOTOP