_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
A tale of two TUSKS
brodiebear
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 90 posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2016 - 12:05 AM UTC
So, i have just got Mengs Abrams kit, but i am a little confused, their are 4 scheme options for the kit;

1 x TUSK II
3 x TUSK I's

Now i always thought, in anything, that II was newer / better than I, so how is it that the TUSK II is for 2008 yet the TUSK I's are for 2011, Does this mean that TUSK I offers better protection cause surely you would have the best protection on your latest version - no ?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2016 - 12:43 AM UTC
It depends on a few things. One is which units were fielded w/TUSK II, not all were due to what threats they faced. Another is the time-frame. By 2011, tanks were not really leaving the FOBs much in Iraq as we were winding down our mission and transitioning to an Advise and Assist mission, which was mostly conducted using MRAPs as opposed to Abrams and Bradleys. It could have also depended on where the unit was operating and what kind of threats were in their area.

TUSK is a system of add-on parts that can be added or deleted as needed depending on the threat. TUSK II does offer more protection against certain threats, mainly EFPs (Explosively Formed Penetrators). Against IEDs buried in the road, it offered no more protection than TUSK I. The only additional armor pieces that make it TUSK II are the curved ceramic plates on the sides of the turret and hull. The rest of the TUSK parts are the same TUSK I underneath. Think of them as layers of protection w/TUSK II being another layer on just the sides of the tank.
brodiebear
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 90 posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2016 - 12:17 PM UTC
Superb Reply, and it all makes sense. Thats why i love this place, 99% of the time someone knows the answer(s), Many thanks again.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2016 - 06:14 PM UTC
How many Tusk II were operational? The only photos I see online seem to be of the same 2 or 3 vehicles.
 _GOTOTOP