_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Whittmann's Early tiger Question
Totalize
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 743 posts
Armorama: 549 posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2016 - 02:51 AM UTC
Some Questions regarding the Dragon Early "Whittmann" Tiger. The instructions regarding the engine deck hatch do not state to use the
movable stops. However, checking my references these stops were added to the rear deck hatch starting in February 1943. Also, the track cable configuration on the kit puts it at a May 43-July 43 built tiger??

So, are the instructions regarding the stops for S04 not correct?

The drive sprocket seems to have the earlier version too. Any one know why?

Also is it a May43-July 43 tiger???
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2016 - 03:16 AM UTC
According to Doyle and Jentz, the engine hatch legs were added from late April 1943.

I don't know what you're talking about in regards to the track cable. I'm not aware of changes that took place in May or July 1943. The kit's layout is the same as that of the Bovington Tiger which is from February.

We don't have adequate photographs of the rear deck of "S04" to be sure about it. I used a photo of "S05" and other information to deduce the tank's configuration but there could be an error somewhere.

Since "S04" is a Befehlstiger, it is not typical of the production at any one point in time. These Tigers were kept at the factory for an extended period and could have some upgrades while there.

David
Totalize
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2016 - 03:38 AM UTC
Yes. In my Jentz and Doyle book there is a change in the track cable configuration in February 1943 which stayed the same until October 1943. My other book Modeler's Guide to the Tiger tank lists the change in May 43 which is inline with the Feb Change. So it looks like the date in the Modelers guide is off by a few months i.e May as opposed to February.

So could this Tiger be one dating from Feb-Sept 43. I say Sept because one of the paint schemes has it in Italy in September 43.

With this tiger being a Befehls tiger and tending to remain at the factory for a longer period of time I suppose it would be possible they used on older rear hatch when building it? It's not a problem for the build as the kit has both types of rear engine hatches and the stops for them as well.
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2016 - 03:48 AM UTC
The Tiger "S04" appears to have been built about March 1943, but various of its details are slightly "off" that date. However, everything that we can see in photos is reproduced in the kit.

David
Totalize
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2016 - 04:52 AM UTC
Great!

Thanks David.
 _GOTOTOP