_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
New Catagory For Reviews?
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 04:16 AM UTC
Is it possible to add another catagory to the review's Interest area where the icons are and the Section/Interest drop down area? One that would encompass magazines and books?

I was going to write a review on the new book " Advanced Techniques" when Jeff (Sgtreef) told me already did. I did not previously see his review because I did not know where to look.

If we had a Book/Mag section, it would make things easier for all.
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 05:29 AM UTC
I think that is a good suggestion !
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 05:57 AM UTC
It could simply be titled Publications and show a little book icon.
And then, if it's possible, one of our editors could search for all reviews of "publications" and move them there?
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 06:12 AM UTC
Or...do we just need to start using the Library area for book reviews? I have always been bothered that we have them in multiple locations.

I am not saying I have a preference. Just looking for more input.

Jim
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 2,029 posts
Armorama: 822 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 07:19 AM UTC
Jim,

To be honest I would put them in the review section because, believe it or not, I knew that the library existed but never gone there (ok, maybe once or twice)
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 07:25 AM UTC
(playing devil's advocate here)

Okay so we put them all into a section called "Books and Magazines". No breakdown? 200 reviews (eventually) with nothing to break them into Armor, A/C, Figs, etc?

I need to re-think a long term solution for this (that is why I need more input). I agree the current Library system is somewhat obscurly located etc. But it does have more support for books and actually allows the site to earn some small amounts in affiliate links thru Amazon. Not much but in the life of the site it has helped.

Also I have always wanted to keep things like books seperated from kits and other tool-type products. I dunno, I just don't see them being the same thing I guess.

Let the debate continue though....

Jim
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 07:30 AM UTC
Maybe the solution would be to have a "/review-type" selection so that each review can be designated as a:

kit
book
magazine
tool/supply
etc

Then these things can be broken down within each section. So under Dioramas you would be able to click a link and see all the book reviews.

This would be a "fairly" simple change. Although I would probably want to dump the old Library and completely integrate the old libraries affiliate linking ability into the reviews system.

Maybe I can do the above as phase one and the other as phase two.

Cheers,
Jim
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 07:34 AM UTC
That sounds pretty cool!!!
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 07:52 AM UTC
Sorry Jim, I did not want to open a can-of-worms.
To be honest, I had forgotten completely about the Library. Where is it anyway? If I, like many others I'm sure, do not see it on the home page, well you know, I just do not know where else to look .
Hmmm... what to do? Let me think a bit (hopefully I do not hurt myself ) and I'll post back here later.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
Armorama: 903 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 08:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe the solution would be to have a "/review-type" selection so that each review can be designated as a:

kit
book
magazine
tool/supply
etc

Then these things can be broken down within each section. So under Dioramas you would be able to click a link and see all the book reviews.

Hi Jim

That sounds a good idea. I wonder if we could/should also start drawing a distinction between Previews and Reviews (full-builds)?

I ask because I've now built a kit which I previewed and wondered whether to edit the text or write a follow-up.

All the best

Rowan
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 11:03 AM UTC
Jim, I completely agree with Ken, I recently added a book review, and I didnīt know about the Library section (dumb me!) so I went to the review link and added it.
Maybe you could list a book option on the Review section and link it to the Library section, so everything keep regular.
Cheers
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Armorama: 1,245 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 03:14 AM UTC
For whatever it's worth. I've been here a while and I didn't even know the Library existed. For example I wrote a book review on a book without knowing that Jim had written one on it months ago. Even now the only way I know of to access the library is from Jim's link below. How do you find the library from the home page? If it was easier to find, and more people knew about it, there wouldn't be an issue of needing a new catagory.

staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 04:02 AM UTC
The library has a link on the homepage, next to the "On the Bookshelf" text (it says "Visit the Library"). There is also a link in the unfinished Resources section.

Jim
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Armorama: 1,245 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 05:57 AM UTC
DOH! One year and over 1000 posts to this site and I NEVER noticed that before. I guess you're going to have to bust me.

You realize of course you've opened a BIG can of worms now. I see there is a Movies and DVD section. Going through it I see it has great info on WWII and Viet Nam era movies. How about more earlier conflicts, such as Zulu, The Fighting 69th, The Man who would be King, Waterloo, etc, etc, etc? I might have to dust off my film reviewer hat.

flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 11:15 PM UTC
A very good idea,
Cheers
Peter
 _GOTOTOP