_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
Opinions on Trumpeter's T-80 variants.
Phil5000
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 165 posts
Armorama: 135 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 02:11 PM UTC
Hi guys,

I'm interested in tackling one of Trumpeter's T-80s and I was hoping for some views from anyone who's built one. I've done two Trumpeter kits so far, the BMP 2D and the T-64A. I was impressed with the BMP despite an issue with the wheels being a bit wonky, but the T-64 was a bit of a headache. I found too many parts required me to line things up by eye, and there was a fair bit of PE which I'm not a fan of. It did build into quite an impressive looking model though.

So anyway, has anyone built one of their T-80s? What did you think? Is there any way of telling which was the newest release? I'm quite partial to the BV and BVD variants because I don't have a tank with reactive armour.

Thanks guys.
JimboHUN
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 461 posts
Armorama: 443 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 05:42 PM UTC
Hi,

AFAIK the BV kit has a number of ERA blocks missing - there should be more than one row on the side skirts:

I have no info on the BVD but is is a bit strange to me that the turret has the ERA but the side skirts not at all.

I have never checked the kits in detail though, but ERA seems weird on both.

Cheers,

Adam
bots1141
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 318 posts
Armorama: 313 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 06:05 PM UTC
At first I also thought it was strange that there is only one row of era bricks on the sideskirts but when I did a google image search I couldn't find any pictures of a T80bv with more than one row.
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 08:11 PM UTC
In peacetime the skirt blocks were usually not fitted, so for a Cold War example you can omit them.
J8kob_F
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 202 posts
Armorama: 104 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 08:26 PM UTC
I have built both the Trumpeter T-64 and T-80BV and i would say that they are about the same in terms of "fiddliness". But the T-80 looks really nice when complete So I little more work than the BMP-2 but it looks really good and you finished the T-64 so this shouldn't be a problem

Jakob
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 10:15 PM UTC
Ok.

First, the side-skirt ERA could be fitted with anywhere from 1 to 4 rows. The side skirts on Soviet Tanks are more than mud flaps, they are a form of spaced armor. The ERA added to it makes flank shots harder. However, the side-skirt ERA is a PAIN to deal with as it snags everything, so even in training the crew wanted as little as possible. In war footing there would be as many rows as there were ERA bricks available. So you have freedom in your depiction.

Armorama ERA Sideskirt discussion

The T-80BVD is a Ukrainian tank that is a T-80B rebuilt with a diesel engine instead of a turbine. It is unique and is NOT a T-80UD hull/engine deck.

Trumpeter kits: two levels of discussion.

Regular Modeler: They are good kits, similar to T-64 kits. Fiddly, yes, but that gets you the detail that makes them look nice too. No seriously annoying issues that I can think of off the top of my head. T-80BV was the most numerous of the T-80 series tanks, T-80B has a nice look and was "the boogy man" tank for a long time, and T-80BVD is unique to the Ukrainian conflict.

AMS afflicted modeler: Trumpeter kits are still the best by far, but have a few issues. Tracks in all tank kits are slightly incorrect in that they should be alternating patterns on left and right, instead they are one layer one pattern, next layer next pattern (See this thread for better explanation https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/218036&ord=&page=2 You can buy after market metal tracks to fix this OR, as I have done, buy Trumpeters T-80 workable tracks and use short runs for the front and back runs showing the correct tread pattern and use the incorrect patterned kit tracks for the upper/lower runs that you do not see.

T-80BV has the wrong upper glacis plate. It should be like the T-80U with the "bulges" next to the drivers hatch showing that the extra integrated glacis armor is present. Building it as instructed is incorrect...there are no photos so far, and we are ALL looking, of a T-80B with ERA added. IF you add part L16 (the addon glacis armor plate) you can build a Ukrainian T-80B with ERA added. No one is sure if the ERA was ever fitted to the MODIFIED T-80B (addon glacis armor) during Soviet times.

Those are the two big things I know of. Hope this helps.
Phil5000
Visit this Community
New Zealand
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 - 09:20 AM UTC
Thanks everyone. That's a huge help, Jacques. When you say the BVD was Ukranian do you mean it is used by Ukrain post Soviet Union? I definitely want to do a cold war Soviet Army one so that would be either the BV or the B?

Cheers again.
Phil5000
Visit this Community
New Zealand
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 - 01:30 PM UTC
I was reading the wiki page of the T-80 and the only mention of the BVD was right down at the bottom and said none were actually produced. It strikes me a very odd choice from Trumpeter to base a kit on, and not the U for example.

Anyway I'm going to go for the BV, just to have something that looks a bit different than the T-64 and T-72 that I already have.

Cheers guys.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 05:25 AM UTC
T-80BVD is post-Soviet. It was made by Kharkov to show they could re-engine a turbine T-80B. I am unsure if more than one was made and if it (they) have seen any combat.

I know the T-80U, T-80UD, and T-80UK are all in process of being kitted.

Enjoy working on the T-80BV, you will have a nice build when done.
Phil5000
Visit this Community
New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 07:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I know the T-80U, T-80UD, and T-80UK are all in process of being kitted.

Thanks again Jacques. Would you have any more info on them? Are they by Trumpeter? Maybe I'll hold off and wait for the new ones.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 09:50 AM UTC
What I know are educated rumors, not insider secrets, just to be clear. I know that Trumpeter is working on all three variants, but I cannot speak as to when they will be formally announced or even released. I think you may want to build a model of the T-80BV while you wait.
bots1141
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 318 posts
Armorama: 313 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 06:33 AM UTC
Im hoping that they will come out with an Oplot M also because I don't think that we will ever see Xact's!
Phil5000
Visit this Community
New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 04:18 PM UTC
I've just become aware of a T-80U from Xact Scale. Its supposed to be very good. I assume its out because there are reviews of it up but I checked ebay, my go to stop for all modeling stuff and there isn't a single one. So I don't know what to think.

Has anyone seen one? Know anything about it? Is it out?

I've ordered my Trump BV. It looks very different to the U so I'll planning to do them both... if I can find the Xact one.

Such a sexy piece of hardware.
aristeidis
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 621 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 05:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've just become aware of a T-80U from Xact Scale. Has anyone seen one? Know anything about it? Is it out?

Check hobbyeasy!
andymacrae
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 409 posts
Armorama: 402 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 06:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

T-80BV has the wrong upper glacis plate. It should be like the T-80U with the "bulges" next to the drivers hatch showing that the extra integrated glacis armor is present.

Yeah, I noticed that only after I built most of it. I was looking at pics of the particular one I was building (a Sertolovo Training Battalion one: http://www.dishmodels.ru/wshow.htm?p=2454 ) and noticed the lack of the cheek pieces on the kit and the discrepancy between the top edge of the glacis plate and the hatch position. Sadly it's too late to do anything about it without a lot of work so I'll just have to live with it.....sigh!

Andy
Removed by original poster on 07/22/16 - 06:50:07 (GMT).
Phil5000
Visit this Community
New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 11:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Check hobbyeasy!

Cheers. If they ship to New Zealand definitely grabbing one.
Phil5000
Visit this Community
New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 04:29 PM UTC
Hi again guys,

Would anyone know if the BV is in service with the Russian Federation still, or within the last few years?

I'm looking for some crew figures to go with it. Would these two be accurate?

Cheers.
http://www.bnamodelworld.com/model-figures-evolution-miniatures-em-35115-1:35-russian-t-72-main-battle-tank-crew-3-figures

http://www.bnamodelworld.com/military-vehicles-tanks-tracks-wheels-tank-tank-t-35066
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 03:02 AM UTC
Hi Phil;

I Dought if there are any T-80s left, altho there mite be A few in either storage or training schools. The T-80 was Not very well liked, as its Engine was A weak spot. And under Force Reduction treaty that was Imposed, most of them were Scraped by the Russians. Maybe JD can Shed More lite on this as He is our Expert on Armorama !

CHEERS; MIKE.
Phil5000
Visit this Community
New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 09:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Phil;

I Dought if there are any T-80s left, altho there mite be A few in either storage or training schools. The T-80 was Not very well liked, as its Engine was A weak spot. And under Force Reduction treaty that was Imposed, most of them were Scraped by the Russians. Maybe JD can Shed More lite on this as He is our Expert on Armorama !

CHEERS; MIKE.

Thats a shame. Oh well, I can do a Chechnya war scene with the second crew. They look nice.

Would you be able to tell me roughly what era the top link would be from? It just says T-72 crew.

I'm not super fussed about absolute historical accuracy but I would like the most appropriate figures to go with the tanks. I've got the BV and U. Which do you think should go with which? I'd like to paint both tanks in the tri colour sand, green and black scheme.

Thank you, I appreciate the help.

There's also these guys, but I don't like these as much as the other two.
http://www.bnamodelworld.com/model-figures-valkyrie-miniature-vm35002-1:35-modern-russian-tank-crew-set-for-t-72-t-80-t-90-2-figures
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 06:31 PM UTC
T-80B, T-80BV, and T-80U are still in service with the Russian Army, but nearly all are in controlled storage. Some are taken out for training purposes (and maybe to rotate training stock), but I am unaware of any unit that is assigned any T-80 series tank right now.
DmitryMarkov
Visit this Community
Moscow, Russia
KitMaker: 48 posts
Armorama: 48 posts
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2016 - 04:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Would you be able to tell me roughly what era the top link would be from? It just says T-72 crew.

I'm not super fussed about absolute historical accuracy but I would like the most appropriate figures to go with the tanks. I've got the BV and U. Which do you think should go with which? I'd like to paint both tanks in the tri colour sand, green and black scheme.

Both are appropriate for period 1990-2012, since both BV and U variants are in use simultaneously. BV-s were fighting in Chechnya and U's were kept home at that time since they were very valuable for commercial purposes
Since 2012 our tankmen wear new uniform so if you'll choose to make one of T-80U's that were dancing "tank waltz" at biathlon opening ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3z0t0P8QQM ), you'd better search for a figures with new uniform.
duttons
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 193 posts
Armorama: 184 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 03:05 AM UTC
Love the video, the artillerymen are very happy
Phil5000
Visit this Community
New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 07:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Both are appropriate for period 1990-2012, since both BV and U variants are in use simultaneously. BV-s were fighting in Chechnya and U's were kept home at that time since they were very valuable for commercial purposes
Since 2012 our tankmen wear new uniform so if you'll choose to make one of T-80U's that were dancing "tank waltz" at biathlon opening ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3z0t0P8QQM ), you'd better search for a figures with new uniform.

That's perfect then. I can set both scenes in the mid '90s so they may or may not be in Chechnya. I don't plan on doing anything elaborate with them. Just the tanks and crew on a basic groundwork with maybe a Russian sign post or something.

Would you happen to know anything about the paint schemes used at that time? I've googled of course and there are some T-80s in the attractive sand, green and black scheme that I would like to use but there's no way of telling what period they are in or even if they're in Russian service (apparently Cyprus paint there's that way). Would that scheme be appropriate for either or both tanks or should they both be plain green?

Thank you most kindly.
DmitryMarkov
Visit this Community
Moscow, Russia
KitMaker: 48 posts
Armorama: 48 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 12:10 PM UTC
Hi, Phil !

Couple of pics

http://cs616720.vk.me/v616720046/a7ee/CodwPsOomzQ.jpg

http://content.foto.mail.ru/mail/gromoleg/184/i-195.jpg

Both are from Chechnya mid 90-s - as you see, these machines are with camo. So to say there could be any kind of colour schemes - ochre/green/black or white/green/black or overall green just as there can be now no matter BV's or U's.
IMHO best way is to choose a pic You like and try to replicate what You see.

Best Regards !

P.S. Important thing about T-80's that people usually forget - they have rubber pads on INNER running surface of the tracks. A lot of models I've seen - people tend to paint them steel especially when using Friul or other metal tracks.
 _GOTOTOP