_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
progress on alpine Gis
Kinggeorges
Visit this Community
Barcelona, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,380 posts
Armorama: 845 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 01:30 PM UTC
Hello fellows,

I've had the modeling fever taking me again, and I cured myself with some Alpine figures. It's an excellent drug ! Specially the last sets of Gis.
The thing is that there is a curse on me which force me to fail totally the first painting session on such figures. Specially for the face. It's like because I know I have a spare head, I allow myself to miss completely the first one. For three figures I had to switch to the spare heads. Unfortunately there is no spare body with Alpine figure....People like me will make Calvin Tan rich !

I also make a try with acrylic (last time for me was maybe 10 years ago). I freaked out because I thought I lost my painting mojo. The result looked ugly to me. Back on the safe side of the force, enamel rulzzzz ! I still want to give a try to Jo Sonja. Who knows..

I'll post pictures of the failed tries, so that w
Kinggeorges
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 01:36 PM UTC
OK something funny happened when trying to publish my post. It got cut in half.

So I've got one face done, and the other in the making, my goal being to portray the second one like Damian Lewis because they have very close facial features.

Sorry for the poor quality of the pics taken in this morning with my Iphone.

KG

and the future Damian Lewis

Kinggeorges
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 03:28 PM UTC
I'm wondering if one can see my pictures. Can you confirm ?
KG
Bonaparte84
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
KitMaker: 338 posts
Armorama: 331 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 03:43 PM UTC
Nope, no pictures...
Kinggeorges
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 06:38 PM UTC
Ok, I lost some Armorama reflexes since my last post here.
New try, hopefully the good one....

And Damian Lewis at his early stage

jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 06:46 PM UTC
Brilliant paint work my friend and welcome back! Very realistic flesh tones. What kind of paint?
J
Kinggeorges
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 07:21 PM UTC
Thank you Nicolas for the notice. You brought me to the light !

Jerry, thank you ! Good to find again some time to paint. Almost one year withtout touching a brush, that's a loooong time. I use as always enamels and oils. I work with very diluted layers, it's all about the right amount of paint and letting the different layers of paints sufficently dry before going to the next steps (if not you could ruin in one stroke hours of work). The pictures don't render justice to the figures. The first guy cheeks are almost violet, which is not reflected here..where it looks almost black and white on the pic.
I'll try a different style for Damian. Whereas the first completed head received a large amount of paint layers and controlled washes, I'll try to make Damian much less contrasted, close to what Toshihiro Sano is doing. I'll plan to have a lot of fun of the freckles

Keep going with the Elbe dudes Jerry, I follow that with interest (although I'm too lazy to post encouragments...)

Julien
Kinggeorges
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2016 - 05:19 PM UTC
Hola,

made some progress on the figure. the upper part is almost there. still lack the binocular, the portative radio strap, a bit of matt varnish here and there.
I struggle on his face. The eyes are not exactly at the same level, which gave me hard time to make them similar. I tried to pait the face in a less contrasted way that the one I first posted above.
In a first try I made him dozens of freckles. As the overhaul result wasn't that good, I dropeed the freckles but keeped the beauty spots (in the neck and on his cheeks).
You might notice I gave a torn look to the jacket on the elbow. Maybe it's not noticiable on the pics I took.

Voilā ! I plan to paint several of the Gi's from Alpine and to make a big scene. Might take me 10 years though...(and Alpine is keeping releasing new US sets, I'll never see the end of the tunnel....)

All critics, comments, jokes, rants, etc welcome.
Best,
Julien

The guy is gathering with other GIs in the fog.

jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2016 - 06:43 PM UTC
That is really coming along nicely!! I am so glad to see you back at it amigo,
J
dhines
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 407 posts
Armorama: 373 posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2016 - 07:05 PM UTC
Hi Julien, the face on this figure looks fantastic. He really does look like Damian Lewis. I look forward to your next update. Best regards....Dale
 _GOTOTOP