_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Large Scale
Dioramas with large scale (1/16 plus) subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
La Fin
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 1,491 posts
Armorama: 997 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 02:49 AM UTC
Dear fellow builders ,

La Fin is the name of my new project in scale 1:16 and it's a vignette in progress. The theme is the Battle of Waterloo and it depicts a French Cuirassier who's badly wounded after the charge against the British infantry .

i spend a few days thinking through how i'm going to do this in a convincing looking way than i came up with the idea to let him fall from his horse.. well not really of course but giving the impression that he loses his consciousness and tumble down from the horse . Although the model is build out of the box i did a few changes . The kit is from Miniart .

In my mind he is a senior officer after searching on the internet i found out that a colonel of the Cuirassiers had two silver gray epaulettes, however on the box art the guy is a corporal with two red epaulettes i changed him into a colonel. Also a lot of gold color was added on the sword and armor. When the figure head is assembled it's bald , the helmet will be on the ground so i made hear from tiny bits of steel wool after squeezing it first in my hand. Fixation of the hear was done with instand glue.
A few pics ,

the restyling of the figure ,

Filling up the gaps and holes with putty and milli put .

After sanding and priming the painting started,

Checking out the colors in daylight,

And this is the work so far after some further painting and the creation of blood splashes on his armor

Okay that's it for now i hope you like this ?It is a totally different thing than scale 1:35 and WWo 1 and 2 builds
Thanks for watching.

Kurt.

obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 04:25 AM UTC
This is certainly something different and looks like you're moving along nicely. Using steel wool for hair is a cool idea. It also looks like there was a LOT of work covering gaps in both the figure & horse. I'll be watching to see your finished vignette.
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 01:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This is certainly something different and looks like you're moving along nicely. Using steel wool for hair is a cool idea. It also looks like there was a LOT of work covering gaps in both the figure & horse. I'll be watching to see your finished vignette.

Thanks man, the gaps in the figure happend because i had to cut the figure a little bit in order to let him bend to the side, by doeing that a big gap occured between the torso and hip. Same story about his right arm holding the sword.

Some further progress ..

Thanks for watching .

Kurt
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 10:21 PM UTC
Hi everyone ,

back with more !

Thanks for watching !
Kurt
pnance26
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 766 posts
Armorama: 518 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 10:40 PM UTC
Beautiful work!
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 10:49 PM UTC
Kurt,

Exceptional! Love the hair.
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 11:30 PM UTC
Thanks guys for the nice comments.

@ Frederick , i'm pretty happy with his hairstyle it looks way better than mine

Kurt
JGphins
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 249 posts
Armorama: 249 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 02:55 AM UTC
Excellent work and great detailing as well. Different and interesting piece. Makes a very nice conversation piece. Thanks for sharing.

JGphins
Stickframe
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 12:16 PM UTC
Hi Kurt - always a pleasure to see your work! I really enjoy the variety of work you pursue and the techniques you use - great to see -

Cheers
Nick
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 01:07 PM UTC
Joaquin and Nick , thanks guys for the nice words.

To all , the figure is near completion so i have to continue with the horse. Now this was for me the hardest part to paint , i didn't know how the figure would turn out in the end because the fact is, i'm not an experienced model painter. The horse on the other hand is not my first painting job . A few years ago i made a unicorn out of a horse fron Pegaso models 74mm . Not so difficult to do , put a horn on the horses head and voila you have a unicorn.

I have a few pictures of the model, to show you my skills...ahum.

Don't worry i'm not planning to make a unicorn again
See you on the next update and thanks for watching.
Kurt
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2016 - 02:46 AM UTC
Hi everyone ,

i'm back with an update . I needed a lot of putty and some milliput to fill up the gapes and holes on the horse. But that's the past. I'm going to show you my paint work so far and i think i did well. The unicorn was painted with acrylic paint (base) and the shadows and highlichts were done with oilpaints . That was the same technique i've learned by watching a video from Michigan Toy Soldier.

This time i did it differently , after applying the primer and a first layer of acrylic paint , i made a mixture from pigments and paint to create a more realistic skintone . Well that was my intention anyhow and it worked pretty well IMHO. So please take a look at the pictures , the horse isn't done yet and the paint was still wet by taking the photos

Thanks for watching !

Kurt
strongarden
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 730 posts
Armorama: 624 posts
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2016 - 04:44 AM UTC
Kurt
Nice to see something like this as a change of pace. Historical subject in large scale, w/ some body mods, and you've done a nice job Kurt. Very nice work on the horse too.
I'll be closely following your updates because I recently purchased MB Napoleon's Red Lancer in 32nd scale. I've never attempted a horse, but it's always been on the to-do list.

Cheers
Dave
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2016 - 07:09 AM UTC
Nice to see a change of pace as far as topics go!! Plus it's got a horse!
J
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2016 - 10:03 AM UTC
Nice work on the horse, especially considering the filling down to change the stance.

As you probably know officers did not have sheepskin covers on their saddles. Be a nice touch to keep the horse furniture that of a ranker as if the colonel had gotten a remount.
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2016 - 01:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Kurt
Nice to see something like this as a change of pace. Historical subject in large scale, w/ some body mods, and you've done a nice job Kurt. Very nice work on the horse too.
I'll be closely following your updates because I recently purchased MB Napoleon's Red Lancer in 32nd scale. I've never attempted a horse, but it's always been on the to-do list.

Cheers
Dave

Thank you very much Dave , in my opinion painting a horse is less hard to do in compaire painting a figure . Give it a try !

@ Jerry , thanks for the reply . Let's see if i can create a horse as beautiful as you do
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2016 - 02:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice work on the horse, especially considering the filling down to change the stance.

As you probably know officers did not have sheepskin covers on their saddles. Be a nice touch to keep the horse furniture that of a ranker as if the colonel had gotten a remount.

First of all thanks for your reply and to like my work on the horse.

According to my research on the internet some officers had black sheepskin covers on the saddles . Every cuirassier had a sheepskin cover when they went in campaign. However i agree that the model is not historically correct. It was summertime during the Battle of Waterloo and most of the cuirassiers didn't wore their armor including the sheepskin covers on their saddles.

Also the type of horse is not the right one , black or brown horses were assigned to the elite cavalry like the cuirassiers. The horse in the pictures above is a light bay. But in those days Napoleon had to assemble his army very quickly because Wellington and his army including the prussians were located at the French- Belgian border . So a lot of the French units were not equiped as they should be.

Kurt.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2016 - 03:02 PM UTC
From the picture's lighting I honestly couldn't tell it was a bay. It looked like a brown to me.

And I still say it'd be a good touch to have him on a ranker's mount. Remember how many times Ney remounted. By the way I am doing a diorama of one of the squares in 54mm.
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2016 - 03:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

From the picture's lighting I honestly couldn't tell it was a bay. It looked like a brown to me.

And I still say it'd be a good touch to have him on a ranker's mount. Remember how many times Ney remounted. By the way I am doing a diorama of one of the squares in 54mm.

I didn't get it the first time i'm sorry for that. In fact a great idea . Let's say he got the horse of one his men... i like that .
Ney attacked the squares at least 7 times when he retreated the horses were exhausted so Napoleon couldn't rely on his cavalry anymore. That charge was a strange decission from an experienced top ranked officer . At the time the French cavalry was superior to the British so maybe he thought '' Let's finish this quickly''?

Thanks for the reply and is it possible to see your work too ? A link or something ?

Kurt
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 02:08 AM UTC
Hi everyone ,

i did more paintwork and weathering on the horse today so here's the result .

Thanks for watching !
Kurt.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 07:30 AM UTC
The horse is looking good. I like the beat up look.

Murat and other French cavalry generals had perfected a tactic where mass cavalry charges forced the enemy infantry into square and then the artillery was brought up to blast the squares apart with grape.

However the British squares were too well supported and Ney too distracted to bring up the guns. Some believe that British fire discipline also played roll, that Napoleon had never faced infantry capable of such rapid and accurate volley fire.

I have to find my pictures.
This may motivate me to get back to the diorama.
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 06:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The horse is looking good. I like the beat up look.

Murat and other French cavalry generals had perfected a tactic where mass cavalry charges forced the enemy infantry into square and then the artillery was brought up to blast the squares apart with grape.

However the British squares were too well supported and Ney too distracted to bring up the guns. Some believe that British fire discipline also played roll, that Napoleon had never faced infantry capable of such rapid and accurate volley fire.

I have to find my pictures.
This may motivate me to get back to the diorama.

Thanks for your reply man , interesting thing you've said '' Bringing up the guns '' the soil was to soft by the rain from the night before so the French artillery simply could not replace their canons. That is also why i did some weathering on the horse , like dirty spots on the flanks and on the cloth , sheepskin.... I think i may add some little tufts of grass in his hair .....

I have been thinking about the posture of the cuirassier. The original idea was to let him fall out the saddle , now i'm not sure about it anymore . It looks a kind unreal to me although i thought at first it was a great idea ?The way he's holding his sword is not from someone that is about to lose his conciousness... i don't know ? The figure straight on the saddle is much more realistic but has less impact to the scene .. like on the picture below

Thanks for watching .

Kurt

cheyenne
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 11:42 PM UTC
Like him just the way you've got him placed Kurt .
Very cool hair work and painting man , wonderful !!!
strongarden
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 730 posts
Armorama: 624 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 11:59 PM UTC
Kurt
This is coming along beautifully, his pose looks fine, and maybe more importantly looks believable. just my 2c
Fascinating stuff btwn Stephen and yourself btw!

Cheers
Dave
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 10:41 AM UTC
Maybe less dramatic, but still effective. Slight downward tilt of the figure in the saddle could say a lot about exhaustion and defeat.
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 12:00 PM UTC
Cheyenne , Dave and Stephen .

Thanks guys for the nice words and to follow my updates. Yes good point Stephen ,that's my intention too so this will be his posture in the saddle please take a look at the picture .. He's sitting a little bit higher and slightly downwards.

Meanwhile i've done some further progress on the horse and its rider ..

Thanks for watching ,
Kurt
 _GOTOTOP