_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
News
Italeri: WWI Figures
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 03:41 AM UTC

The news from Italeri this August bring two sets of WWI figures at 1/35 scale, from Italian and Austro-Hungarian Armies.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Ironmike
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 287 posts
Armorama: 270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 04:07 AM UTC
This company makes a few decent model kits but most of their figures have been pretty lame over the years. I'd wait to hear from somebody that builds these guys before I fork over any money. Wait and see.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 04:18 AM UTC
As for the Austro-Hungarian guys, buy an extra ICM set just for the heads, weapons, and equipment, and you have four more attackers.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 04:40 AM UTC
Look very closely at the sprues pictures and you'll see the ICM logo. These are ICM figures and if anything like their other Great War figures are very good .
GarethM
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 05:15 AM UTC
Finally someone comes out with a good set of Italian soldiers and Italeri has ride on their coattails.
MrCompletely
Visit this Community
Saitama-ken, Japan / 日本
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 06:57 AM UTC
They are indeed the ICM figures, all Italeri has done is change the box art by giving them helmets instead of caps.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 09:27 AM UTC
These figures are in uniform mostly appropriate for 1915. By the time helmets were issued they would have all been in wrap puttees and short boots. Not a difficult conversion, but new legs would have been nice for the reissue if they were looking at doing 1916 and later infantry.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 11:04 AM UTC
Still good to see these subjects.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 07:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The news from Italeri this August bring two sets of WWI figures at 1/35 scale, from Italian and Austro-Hungarian Armies.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

NICE!!!

A "shout-out" to ICM AND ITALERI:

MORE 1/35 US WWI Doughboys and Marines, PLEASE!!!
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 07:58 PM UTC
A "shout-out" certainly, to ICM for originally producing their WWl series of extremely well-sculpted figures (maybe the finest so far in plastic); not so much for Revell and Italeri who regularly re-box ICM products because they can't do as well on their own, when, with a little effort and expense, there's no reason they couldn't.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 08:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A "shout-out" certainly, to ICM for originally producing their WWl series of extremely well-sculpted figures (maybe the finest so far in plastic); not so much for Revell and Italeri who regularly re-box ICM products because they can't do as well on their own, when, with a little effort and expense, there's no reason they couldn't.

I get what you're saying Biggles, but REVELL and ITALERI have a far more diversified product range than ICM, in other words, they have A LOT more irons in the fire, what with HUNDREDS of cars, trucks, aircraft, ships and a boatload of "youth-oriented" stuff that they market.

Sure, it's a lot easier, and less costly to re-box other manufacturer's stuff, rather than "go it alone". After all, TAMIYA has done it too, by re-boxing 1/35 ITALERI and FINE MOLDS armor kits; also 1/48 ITALERI and HASEGAWA aircraft kits. So has TESTORS, when they re-boxed some of the older 1/35 ITALERI and PEERLESS MAX kits. ITALERI has re-boxed a number of 1/48 HASEGAWA aircraft kits as well. The more, the merrier, I guess-

The thing about certain identical re-boxed kits that are still simultaneously manufactured by their "original" makers, is that many times, these "otherwise the same" kits cost us MORE MONEY after they've been "re-boxed"...

A classic example of this is the 1/48 ITALERI Arado Ar.196A Seaplane; I bought the ITALERI kit on ebay for $32.95USD + Shipping on ebay, whereas THE SAME KIT, reboxed by TAMIYA, was selling for $74.95USD + Shipping from the SAME VENDOR!!! I checked around ebay just to see if the same disparate pricing was consistent, and I found that by and large, the TAMIYA re-box of that same kit was, on average, TWICE the price of the original ITALERI kit! I suppose that there is an ass for every seat!!!
ULIX-VM
Visit this Community
Puerto Rico
KitMaker: 834 posts
Armorama: 649 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 02:10 AM UTC
this set of italian of ww1. these are ready to fight the imperial austrian army in alps moutain range.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 04:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The thing about certain identical re-boxed kits that are still simultaneously manufactured by their "original" makers, is that many times, these "otherwise the same" kits cost us MORE MONEY after they've been "re-boxed"...

Sometimes this works in reverse. The 1/72 Seehunde, originally marketed by ICM, was reboxed by Revell at over $10 less. But Revell, in various re-incarnations, have 60+ years of plastic molding. The first kit I built was a Revell 190 - something taxi in 1956. I would expect much higher quality by now, than what they are actually doing.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 05:11 AM UTC
Often it costs more to upgrade and modernize an existing plant than to build something new. So an existing company cannot upgrade while a new company can start off with all the latest gadgets.

Then there's the problems with poor sellers in a big line-up of products. Sure they have their rabid fans but not enough to keep that particular line going. It stinks for us but at the end of the day it's still a business and dedicated builders are a tiny share of the market.

And we've all been told this a dozen times and still feel slighted.

Revell is also sitting on a pile of old molds. Come on, more Rewal ship reissues...
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 03:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Often it costs more to upgrade and modernize an existing plant than to build something new. So an existing company cannot upgrade while a new company can start off with all the latest gadgets.

Then there's the problems with poor sellers in a big line-up of products. Sure they have their rabid fans but not enough to keep that particular line going. It stinks for us but at the end of the day it's still a business and dedicated builders are a tiny share of the market.

And we've all been told this a dozen times and still feel slighted.

Revell is also sitting on a pile of old molds. Come on, more Rewal ship reissues...

Just to add to what Steve just said- It's obviously MUCH CHEAPER for one model company to buy models (or the old original molds) from another model company than it is to invest time and money in R&D, engineering/buying/making NEW molds and related tooling, packaging, (aside of the boxes and instructions with the re-boxing company's name & logo on them), plus overhead, i.e: wages, utilities, etc, and advertising extravaganzas for all-new products, ESPECIALLY if they are buying said models in bulk lots- They would be CRAZY not to. Even if a certain re-boxing flops, it's not as bad as losing your shirt on a "home-grown" project that fails to bring enough profits.

Steve is right when he says that "dedicated modellers" are but a small segment of the overall picture, especially if some of these dedicated modellers confine themselves to an even smaller "niche". I'm talking about the modellers who will build only in a certain scale, and who confine themselves to models of WWII German, or US/Allied, or Soviet AFVs, or Soft-skins, OR strictly "modern" examples of the same. The same goes for the Aircraft, Car or Ship Guys; we ARE a fussy lot, and SOME model manufacturers take full advantage of that. Others could give a flying leap whether we're happy with their wares, or not- Do I dare mention names..?

Also agree with what Biggles wrote in his last post, in that "sometimes the reverse is true" regarding re-boxes, but those are the exceptions to the rule, of which there are not very many. More often than not, the re-boxes cost more money than the originals. Personally, I prefer the originals...

mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,015 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 04:11 PM UTC
I actually like the Italeri/Revell reboxes. Simply because it is a lot easier to get Revell (or to a lesser degree Italerie) here in germany or get the local "Modelbau-Laden"(1) to at least ORDER something from that companies that to get Tamiya or (gasp) ICM. Sure, I can (and more and more do) order Online but still...

And it is not as if they are stealing/copying, ICM gets money for the reboxing so a Win-Win for all.

(1) Actually a dusty corner in the basement of a toy store wedged in between the "ready to use" RC kits and the Märklin railroad kits
Kinggeorges
Visit this Community
Barcelona, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,380 posts
Armorama: 845 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 04:44 PM UTC
When you look at italeri own figure sculpture skill, you can easily understand why they get license from ICM.... Creativity 0 though.
I agree with MBR, it ease their availabilty in store. That's the only positive point about this release
Ps: italeri, don't pretend to be original by changing the cap by a helmet.....

Kg
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 07:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ps: italeri, don't pretend to be original by changing the cap by a helmet.....
Kg

_GOTOTOP