_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
AFV Club: M60A3 & A3 TTS Images
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 03:04 PM UTC

AFV Club released images of their upcoming 1/35 scale kit depicting M60A3 /M60A3 TTS.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 06:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

AFV Club released images of their upcoming 1/35 scale kit depicting M60A3 /M60A3 TTS.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

THANK YOU, Mario! IT LOOKS GOOD!!!

No US Armor collection would be complete without this one! I can deal with the overdone textures easily enough; nothing some filler putty and a little bit of wet-sanding won't cure. Personally, I'm going to build BOTH versions...

And now, I'm going to blow my horn again by going OFF TOPIC-

We NEED from AFV CLUB:

a) A comprehensive M48-series,

b) An M60, to round-out the M60-series

c) Their M8 HMC, which they floated out to Limbo somewhere,

d) The latest versions of the M88 ARV (they already have a good base kit to work with),

e) A Dodge WC-series M7 Tank Destroyer & a WC-54 Ambulance, (ditto, i.e their WC51 "Beep" as a base kit)

f) An all-new, or a re-worked M18 Tank destroyer,

g) A PLASTIC M5 High Speed Artillery Tractor, (they already have their RESIN M5, but less-experienced modellers may balk at a resin kit of this magnitude, and some experienced modellers balk at the resin kit's price)

h) A US-version of the MBT70,

i) An M6 Allis-Chalmers Artillery Tractor,

j) An M8 Artillery Tractor,

k) A Conqueror, a Chieftain, a comprehensive Challenger-series, and for Aussie fans, a Sentinel-series, i.e, the AC I, AC II, & AC III,

l) Their Hanomag Sd.Kfz. 251-series kits have fit issues- these issues NEED to be corrected,

m) US Soft-skins; NONE of the manufacturers have gotten the ubiquitous WWII CCKW-series "6-bys" right, even though there are hundreds, if not thousands of these that they can get correct measurements AND contours from. A WWII International 6x6 2.5-tonner, various Autocar and FWD Over-head Cab Tractors, American-La France Prime Movers/Tractors/Tow Rigs, and lastly, US Soft-skins of the Post-war, Korea, 1950s-1990s eras, AND a WWII Mack NO 7-ton Prime Mover,

n) Earlier 105mm Main Gun versions of the M1 Abrams, i.e, the pilot model, -IP, M1, etc...

o) An all-new M3 Lee/Grant-series, and an M31 ARV, using the M3 Lee as a base kit,

p) An all-new M3/M3A1 Stuart/Honey-series; the ACADEMY and the TAMIYA, (which at this point is a waste of money), kits leave A LOT to be desired. I'm NOT going to go into specifics, because these kits' shortcomings have already been discussed on this site, ad nauseam...

Sorry to have gone off-topic, I'm SURE that there are A LOT of Armor fans that could come up with quite a few more suggestions for new kits...

To sum up, we all know that AFV CLUB has come up with winners in their M60A1, -A2, and now with their new -A3 kits, and their forthcoming M113 ACAV is being eagerly awaited by many of us. With AFV CLUB/HOBBY FAN's talent-pool, they have the potential to eclipse a lot of the competition out there...

I, for one, am VERY HAPPY indeed that AFV CLUB has chosen to capitalize on their success of their M60A1 kits, by going ahead to manufacture the -A2 and -A3. Are Bridge-layers and foreign versions in the works..? I CERTAINLY hope so...
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 07:14 PM UTC
YES!!! It has decals for an Egyptian vehicle... I guess one of these will definitely find it's way to my stash in the future

Hisham
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 09:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

YES!!! It has decals for an Egyptian vehicle... I guess one of these will definitely find it's way to my stash in the future

Hisham

AGREE!!! I'm sure that there are modellers out there that will want to model M60A-1s and -A3s of their own nations, and also those modellers of former Soviet bloc nations and Russian modellers, as well!!!
Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,526 posts
Armorama: 1,294 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 10:10 PM UTC
This is awesome! Such ubiquitous tank has so many options! Thank God it was not from DML Black Plague series. Thank you AFV Club.
ULIX-VM
Visit this Community
Puerto Rico
KitMaker: 834 posts
Armorama: 649 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 02:14 AM UTC
this south korean outlet is good enough.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 02:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What The F*c* are you talking about?
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Armorama: 658 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 04:24 AM UTC
The searchlight is the only visible difference between a M60A3 (Passive) and a M60A3 (TTS). The M60A3 (P) used " for both the gunner's primary sight and the TC's primary sight. Only half of the M60A3 (P) in a platoon of 4 tanks carried a searchlight, the other two did not. The M60A3 (TTS) carried a thermal sight as the gunner's primary sight with an elbow extension for the TC to use inside the turret. The TCs primary sight was the same passive sight as in M60A3(P). So, in theory, you can build three different tanks. Two M60A3(P)s, one with and one without searchlight, representing a tank section, and the M60A3(TTS). It would be too much work explaining about the M60A3(P) w/o searchlight to make worth building.
exgrunt
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 301 posts
Armorama: 301 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 04:33 AM UTC
I assume the peeling tactical number decal on the right side of the turret is an optional feature?

:)
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 05:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I assume the peeling tactical number decal on the right side of the turret is an optional feature?

It's also built as a TTS with the blanked off searchlight plug and TTS doghouse but with the searchlight fitted. Probably to show off the new features of the kit.

What, no decals for T-2 Judgement Day or the Mach 5? Time for custom designed decal sheets.
thehermit
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 277 posts
Armorama: 171 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 05:39 AM UTC
South Korean outlet...???!!!
Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,526 posts
Armorama: 1,294 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 07:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think we all should ignore ULIX-VM. He may be a handicapped person.
Darson
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 129 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 11:11 AM UTC
I have the DEF Model M60A3 TTS kit/conversion for the old Academy kit which I never ended up building. As it stands I can definitely see a lot of those resin & metal parts making their way on to this new kit that's for sure.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 11:35 AM UTC
Now if someone could give us one of the other type of turret castings? Filled chin fillets and no side lip? Poured fillets and welded side lip?
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 04:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I think we all should ignore ULIX-VM. He may be a handicapped person.

SOME of his statements ARE funny though; could it be that he's just trying to lighten us up a little bit..?

Jeff and Steve- You are the guys I'm going to look up if I run into questions once I get my -A3s underway!!!
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 06:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

To my old eyes all the decals look like they floated off.

Were not the numbers a stick on panel for manoeuvers? I recall seeing a picture of this tank, or one similar, with the number peeled back like that.

South Korea? AFV Club's in Taiwan, maybe he doesn't know geology.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 06:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Were not the numbers a stick on panel for manoeuvers? I recall seeing a picture of this tank, or one similar, with the number peeled back like that.

Basically, it was a paper number plate that was usually taped on around the edges. They did tend to start peeling off after a few days once exposed to the weather and vegetation, so not really incorrect

Quoted Text

Or geography.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 08:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Basically, it was a paper number plate that was usually taped on around the edges. They did tend to start peeling off after a few days once exposed to the weather and vegetation, so not really incorrect

Quoted Text

Or geography.

Or,
Violetrock
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 791 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 09:02 PM UTC
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 09:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Taiwan =/= South Korea
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 11:29 PM UTC

HA! he must not have used any decal solution. Nice catch, Thomas
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 11:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

HA! he must not have used any decal solution. Nice catch, Thomas

I AM LOVIN' ALL THIS $#!+!!!
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2016 - 12:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you. I thought it looked familiar.
TankSGT
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 946 posts
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2016 - 12:23 AM UTC
If you look closely you can see the peeling part was put over the MILES Velcro. That's why it didn't stick. When my unit used the blue/orange maneuver markers in 78 they were adhesive backed decals. We peeled and placed them.

After REFORGER we discovered our mistake and why some units taped them on. It took months to get the white panel backing and glue off the tank.

Notice Hoffman device is loaded. The tanks came without the grenade launchers they came in several months later.

Well I have the A1 and A2 time to add the A3.

Tom
Bergun
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 60 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 08:55 AM UTC
Nice kit, but the only thing that bugs me is the gun tube... It looks slightly off and not to scale. I sent 6 years serving on M60A1s and M60A3s in Germany, Korea and in the States.
 _GOTOTOP