_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Fairly Accurate Tiger Help
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 04:48 AM UTC
I'm looking for a fairly accurate Tiger in 35 scale. Budget is tight($20-35). Any recommendations?
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 05:20 AM UTC
In that price range you would probably be limited to Tamiya, Academy and Zvezda, unless you can score a deal on ebay or at a local hobby store. All have their issues, but so do some of the bigger and more expensive kits. Look up David Byrden's website, as he goes over the issues with the kits. For myself, I built the Zvezda kit and had fun with it. I used AFV Club tracks as the rubber band tracks that came with the initial release were unusable. I don't do shows and model for myself, and for me it looks like a Tiger. I have the Dragon orange box release of the early Tiger, but haven't started it yet. I have read comments about it being a nightmare.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 08:20 AM UTC
When originally released the Dragon Orange box Kursk Tiger was the right price. But now? Last one I saw was going for $60. The big problem with that kit was that it was a simplified kit with the rear road wheels combined into one piece like a 1/72 kit.

The Zvezda first release had awful thick rubber band track, later releases have link to link. But that didn't fit the molding issues Zvezda had with a multiple piece mold. There are sinks on some of the side panels and front plate that are very difficult to fill.

I'd go Academy if you can't find the Tamiya for the right price (which I couldn't after several months trying) That said the recent retooling of the Academy late and mid have made them better than the Tamiya late and mid. But the Tamiya Afrika and Early are better choices than the Academy early.

Now after all that, I buckled down and got the Academy kit and fudged the version I wanted. I liked the kit but ithe lacks certain bits. These days with all the different production variants so well delineated it's hard to design a kit without some compromise so you're left forking out the bucks for the newest RF or Dragon kits or DIY or doing without.

I actually still use band track that's wired down to the roadwheels. Another compromise since I can't afford after market tracks. I'd rather have another kit or a set of crew figures.
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 2,493 posts
Armorama: 2,344 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 09:05 AM UTC
The Rye Field DAK Tiger 1 is $39 on scalehobbyist.com
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 11:11 AM UTC
I really enjoyed the Academy Late Tiger. According to David Byrden's site I only had to modify the aft hull panel with some small knife work. I replaced the tracks with Friuls with no troubles.

Gaz
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 11:52 AM UTC
Rye Field it is.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 09:46 PM UTC
Tamiya late is $39, shipping included, at Lucky Model. A little late to the game, but there.
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 2,493 posts
Armorama: 2,344 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 11:39 PM UTC
I think the Rye Field kit is a better investment. It has workable tracks and is a new mold. If price is the same, I'd go with Rye Field.
Patships
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 20 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2016 - 01:14 AM UTC
I just finished building the Zvezda Tiger 1. I didn't have any problems with it other than the funky tracks. I bought the kit because it was cheap plus the interior detail of the turret was pretty neat.
 _GOTOTOP