_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Need help!
Katyusha
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 110 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 09:47 AM UTC
Ok. I need help for a dio. I need all of these questions answered very quikly...
What is the best material for building a house from scratch?
How do you make insulation?
Does anyone have any clue on how to make a solar panel and what material you might use for it?
How do you make furniture?
This house will be roughly in 1/32 scale..The time era will be modern present day.
If you cany answer any of these, please do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Katyusha
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 754 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 12:34 PM UTC
Katyusha

I can't answer all your questions but I might be able to give you some ideas. The solor panal would be pretty easy. Use a thin mirror. The Furniture, if all you need is basic table and chairs they can be scratched using balsa wood or sheet plastic. anything more advanced you may want to look into aftermarket. Lastly, the house. What kind of house are you thinking of. A farm house, apartment or what? How big and complex ? There is an article called "Building a diorama from Scratch" on this page. I would recomend it on building materials. I know its not much or even complete answers to your questions, but I hope it helps.

Wolfsix

flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 06:21 PM UTC
With regards to solar panels...
TONYWAN posted this in the space forum in answer to a similar question.

Quoted Text

How about using mylar, tinted with a clear dark blue.
You could take a Staedtler finepoint sketch pen or any technical pen with waterproof ink and draw in the the grids

Hope it helps
Cheers
Peter
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 06:33 PM UTC
1) The easiest and quicker method for a scratchbuild house is using plaster in your home made wooden molds covered with aluminiumfoil and vaseline for easy take off. measure make asketch divide in walls sections and make the molds, pour the plaster mix, leave as more as you can to dry 3-4 days and trhen connect them to shape the xouse with steel pins, white glue and house putty overall. Furniture is easy made by scaling down the dimensions of real furniture (dividing every dimension with 35) and marking the parts on balsa wood or doctors;s examining mouthsticks, cut ,trim, sand white glue, paint, finished.
The solar panel could have a frame from wood painted in a metallic colout mostly aluminium and a plastic surface in painted black with dark grey tubing added in for the circulation of the water, and covered above with glass like transparent plastic card taken from a plastic glass or from some packaging material.This could be also cutted in random size small parts to pretend the broken glass effect if its ruined . In general scaling down and copying the real things around has been proven to me the easiest way to make things in Dio's

Hope i helped a lil
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,352 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 08:50 PM UTC
What era would this house be, you know in the old days they never had insulation, most just used old news papers and pages out of magazines, I've seen many houses remodeled and when they tore the plaster off the walls, that is when we found old sears and robucks pages from some of their add books, plus pages from real old news papers stuck in the walls.
 _GOTOTOP