_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Berlin Brigade Chieftain crew
paulo
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 72 posts
Armorama: 66 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 10:35 PM UTC
A bit of a strange one this! I am looking to add a few crew members to the Takom Chieftain Mk 10 (Berlin Brigade camo scheme)and wondered if the crew would have worn the standard issue British tank helmet of the time? The figures I intend to use are the Valkyrie BAOR crew figures who are all wearing berets. Thanks Paul
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 10:59 PM UTC
The comms would work with headsets but helmets are generally a good idea in AFVs due to the risk of injury from hard surfaces. One of the AFV helmets I have has a detachable headset and I recall that the same design was in use at the time the Mk 10 was in service. I believe that it was dependent on the unit and as the Berlin MBT squadron rotated between different regts, you might want to consult pictures from the period you are modelling and base it on those.
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 11:12 PM UTC
As an artillery observer I was a crew member on Dutch Leo's. So, pratical info!
Inside the tank we never wore helmets for many reasons. They reflect the noise of the gun, if fired,inside the cupola, they hinder in movement, barrets are just much easier while wearing headsets, helmets are chunky and take quite some space in the cramped turret or driver section.
But also, the vision via vision blocks is severly hindered with a helmet.
Only nowadays modern tanks have more space and also helmet technology improved considerably, so lighter, smaller helmets with real protective capacity have been developed.
So, you will hardly see helmets on tank crews! Not to speak about the image increase while wearing barrets!!!
paulo
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 72 posts
Armorama: 66 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 01:35 PM UTC
many thanks
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 01:53 PM UTC
The Tankograd book on the British Berlin Brigade shows every Chieftain crew on patrol wearing the crew helmets...no berets. Berets are shown on crews on parade tasks.
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2016 - 12:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Tankograd book on the British Berlin Brigade shows every Chieftain crew on patrol wearing the crew helmets...no berets. Berets are shown on crews on parade tasks.

Though not having seen the photo you refer to, this might be in the late 80-ies, where significant equipment changes and upgrading took place.
However, even after this many crews can be seen wearing their berrets!
So one may conclude that both options are possible to build.
 _GOTOTOP