_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
A noob tries building the Tamiya M51
noobking
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 31 posts
Armorama: 31 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 05:09 AM UTC
Title says it all.
After a 40 plus year break from building, I will try to start again with the Tamiya M51 Sherman kit.
I am a noob and longtime lurker who has taken the plunge, and am clueless as to even what kind of glue is good!
However, I have wanted to model the Israeli Sherman for many years, and so I just ordered a copy of the Tamiya 35323 M51.
Any advice/guidance to building this kit will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 05:18 AM UTC
I built it a few years ago,not much to say basic shake and bake Tamiya kit.It is a fairly new kit with new molding,builds up very nice,here is an online blog,not mine.

http://modelerssocialclub.proboards.com/thread/3652/building-tamiyas-m51-super-sherman

Here is mine,not as extensive

http://s180.photobucket.com/user/tojo72/library/Tamiya%20Isherman
noobking
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2016 - 03:32 AM UTC
What color is appropriate for the M51 Sherman?
Thanks in advance!
noobking
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2016 - 03:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I built it a few years ago,not much to say basic shake and bake Tamiya kit.It is a fairly new kit with new molding,builds up very nice,here is an online blog,not mine.

http://modelerssocialclub.proboards.com/thread/3652/building-tamiyas-m51-super-sherman

Here is mine,not as extensive

http://s180.photobucket.com/user/tojo72/library/Tamiya%20Isherman

Thanks for your reply.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2016 - 03:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks in advance!

On the advice of someone here,I used Life color UA 90 Sand

FSN 33711
noobking
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2016 - 05:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks in advance!

On the advice of someone here,I used Life color UA 90 Sand

FSN 33711

Thanks!
elevenbravo87
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 63 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2016 - 10:13 AM UTC
Great choice of kit. I just finished building this same kit, very straight forward build with few if any issues. I painted mine with Humbrol 072 Khaki Drill, weathered with Tamiya Pastels and stowage by Legend Productions and Verlinden.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Some pics.

noobking
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2016 - 05:22 AM UTC
Gentlemen, thank you all very much!
noobking
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2016 - 05:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great choice of kit. I just finished building this same kit, very straight forward build with few if any issues. I painted mine with Humbrol 072 Khaki Drill, weathered with Tamiya Pastels and stowage by Legend Productions and Verlinden.

Some pics.

I do not have an airbrush (though I am contemplating buying one!), thefore I will be hand brushing.
Do you think I could use your method and hand brush?
And, thank you for the info and the great pics - if my build comes out half as nice as yours I will be very happy!
elevenbravo87
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2016 - 02:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Some pics.

I do not have an airbrush (though I am contemplating buying one!), thefore I will be hand brushing.
Do you think I could use your method and hand brush?
And, thank you for the info and the great pics - if my build comes out half as nice as yours I will be very happy!

Thank you.

If you are using acrylics, I don't see an issue, I airbrushed enamal on the main build, but the figure and stowage was all acrylic and hand brushed. Acrylics seems to "flow" and "lay down" better than enemals to me. All my weathering is done by brushes.
noobking
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2016 - 04:46 AM UTC
I am considering the Lifecolor (acrylic) Israeli Army Vehicles & Uniform set (Lifecolor product # CS32).

I think I can paint the M51 by Lifecolor's Israeli colors, as I have read that Lifecolor acrylics hand paint well.

Would I need to prime the model first (and if so, what would be a good primer brand and color to go with the Lifecolor Israeli acrylic)?

Apologies for the dumb noob questions, but I am reading so much stuff that my head is spinning trying to get a grip on how to proceed!

And, having a great time in the process!

Thanks to all of you in advance, gentlemen!

noobking
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2016 - 05:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Some pics.

Which Tamiya Weathering set did you use?
elevenbravo87
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2016 - 05:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Some pics.

set A and Set C. I primed it with flat black from a spraycan
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2016 - 08:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am considering the Lifecolor (acrylic) Israeli Army Vehicles & Uniform set (Lifecolor product # CS32).

I think I can paint the M51 by Lifecolor's Israeli colors, as I have read that Lifecolor acrylics hand paint well.

Would I need to prime the model first (and if so, what would be a good primer brand and color to go with the Lifecolor Israeli acrylic)?

Apologies for the dumb noob questions, but I am reading so much stuff that my head is spinning trying to get a grip on how to proceed!

Go ahead and get the Lifecolor set. Lifecolor is excellent paint and happens to be my favorite. You can prime with Krylon grey primer, just go lightly.
For glue, get yourself a bottle of Tamiya Extra Thin Cement; it's the best stuff out there for styrene and you'll love the way it performs.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2016 - 09:12 PM UTC
Word of CAUTION. You said you were beginning to model. There are several type of glues you should use. For the majority of your work you do not want a glue that dries in seconds. You will want a glue that gives you a little time to get the part in just the right spot before it sets. If it sets too quick your seams will not fit right or the glue has dried too much by the time you are ready to fit the part.
noobking
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2016 - 05:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Go ahead and get the Lifecolor set. Lifecolor is excellent paint and happens to be my favorite. You can prime with Krylon grey primer, just go lightly.
For glue, get yourself a bottle of Tamiya Extra Thin Cement; it's the best stuff out there for styrene and you'll love the way it performs.

Done and done.
Thank you very much!
noobking
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2016 - 05:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Word of CAUTION. You said you were beginning to model. There are several type of glues you should use. For the majority of your work you do not want a glue that dries in seconds. You will want a glue that gives you a little time to get the part in just the right spot before it sets. If it sets too quick your seams will not fit right or the glue has dried too much by the time you are ready to fit the part.

I was going to ask about what type of glue, but didn't, because I thought it would be just another dumb noob question.
Thank you for saving me from making a costly error!
noobking
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2016 - 05:11 AM UTC
Can I hand brush primer?
If so, what brand/color would be good, considering that the M51 will be painted in Lifecolor acrylic Israeli sand grey?
Or, do I need to even a use primer?
I have run google searches on this, but my search-skills are not yet strong...
noobking
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2016 - 05:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Some pics.

set A and Set C. I primed it with flat black from a spraycan

Thanks for the tip re the weathering kits!
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2016 - 10:38 AM UTC
Tamiya primer in the spraycan if you don't have an airbrush.
stephenmodel
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 74 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2016 - 05:57 PM UTC
Prime with the tamiya primer then if using a brush do multiple thin layers. The first 2 will look poor but the it will build up to a nice smooth finish.

Also tamiya sell regular colored spray paint. If you can find the color you want i would use that. Same thin though very light coat then let dry for 30 minutes. then repeat and repeat until smooth and even.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/paints-amp-finishes-60/tamiya-color-spray-ts-61500
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,300 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 01:11 PM UTC
Be careful while using those cans... The paint comes out of them at a hell of a rate, it's easy to overdo...
noobking
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016 - 01:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Be careful while using those cans... The paint comes out of them at a hell of a rate, it's easy to overdo...

Never have used a can like this.
Is it possible to hand brush primer?
Edit: Thanks for the tip!
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,300 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 05:48 PM UTC
You don't really need a coat of primer if you use Tamiya's TS rattle cans, but l don't think their range includes the right color for an Israeli M51...
 _GOTOTOP