_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Tamiya Flesh Color
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 16, 2016 - 12:10 AM UTC
Is it just me, or is the color too orangey? The Model Master looks far better, but the paint in the jar I had was very poorly mixed.
americanpanzer
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 542 posts
Armorama: 539 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 16, 2016 - 12:24 AM UTC
it is a bit orangey; I've switched recently to Vallejo (and am still learning on those); better tones; the MM seems ok but I don't use it much; Tamiya ok but needs toned down a bit; haven't tried to do so; maybe someone else has; still have a fair amount of the Tamiya left and modeling on a budget means I don't like to waste products I have; any ideas on toning down the Tamiya would be helpful
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 16, 2016 - 03:52 AM UTC
As Tamiya paint is crappy for brush painting anyway, you might try Citadel acrylics. Citadel's are primarily for D&D gaming, etc, but their acrylics are high quality, and long-lasting. They have 4 or 5 flesh colors so mixing is very possible for individual tones.
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 03:37 AM UTC
Tamiya's paints aren't too bad for brush painting if you water them down a bit as they do tend to be a bit thick. I've tried a couple of the Vallejo flesh colours but they seem incredibly thin but I may just have bad bottles. I'd never thought of using Citadel paints. I automatically think of goblins and demons when anyone mentions them but I may have a look at them in town. Bizarrely we've got two gaming shops in town but no proper model shops in the county! Not very useful.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 04:06 AM UTC
Citadel colors have bizarre names, and they don't have specific military colors, but they are good quality. I use mainly their flesh tones. It's best to get Elf Flesh and mix it with a darker skin tone, as one's too light for humans, and the other's are too dark.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 05:14 AM UTC
is pretty good the varius set for skin tone you find on the market,like Vallejo,Andrea,Scale75 or the one i like most LifeColors,or many others,for me (and not only)Tamiya to brush in one of the worse colors brand you can get.
bigtodd
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 05:59 AM UTC
to tone down the orange add a little bit white and yellow to the flesh color.

Flesh color is a mix of white, yellow, red even a little brown.

You would be surprised how much orange is in Caucasian skin.

I paint figures all the time and I use orange as a medium color between highlight and shadows.

Todd
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 06:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Citadel colors have bizarre names, and they don't have specific military colors, but they are good quality.

I like Citadel flesh tones. They used to have some flesh washes which were/are excellent and save me a great deal of time with painting faces and hands.

Flesh tones are really pretty easy to mix yourself; and if you use non-toxic paint, you can quality-check them by a swipe of the brush across your hand.
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 10:28 PM UTC
You've sold me on the idea. I'll take a wander into town tomorrow and pick some up.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2016 - 05:50 AM UTC
I decided to buy the Model Master flesh tone base at a regular hobby shop rather than Hobby Lobby.

Good idea-the Hobby Lobby paint was poor quality (probably overaged) but the HobbyTown USA store had the same paint in better quality. And the base tone is a very good shade, plus they have shadow and warm tints to mix up.

As for Tamiya brush, it tends to dry too quickly, but it goes on OK and the shades are nice (on some colors anyway).
 _GOTOTOP