_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Achzarit version
Spartak
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 130 posts
Armorama: 108 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 16, 2016 - 01:41 AM UTC
Hi boys,

On the internet, I accidentally found a great picture of Achzarit. Unfortunately resolution and quality is not very good.

I wonder if it is possible that this is a late Achzarit version with the old T-55 wheels?
Can I used Achzarit late model from Meng (SS-008) replacing Centurion wheels with T-55 wheels to make this beauty?

knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 1,092 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 16, 2016 - 04:05 AM UTC
Yes, that would be the easy way to do things, backdating your kit to this vehicle (you also have the benefit of the interior). I've looked, and cannot find a higher resolution photo of this vehicle, or a photo of the other side. I'd expect that the right side "toga" armour is in place, rather than missing as is evident on some operational Achzarits. Of course, its your model and you can finish it as you see fit.

good luck with your build

kylie
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 16, 2016 - 05:02 AM UTC
that's a cool looking option. I'd be curious to see what you find out about this vehicle
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 1,092 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 16, 2016 - 06:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

that's a cool looking option. I'd be curious to see what you find out about this vehicle

I'm glad you asked, allow me... looking in "Israeli Wild & cruel cats, volume 6", 2016, Dr Robert Manasherod, this is one of several vehicles returning from operations in the Gaza Strip; unfortunately no date is given. There are photos of two other Achzarits at the same location, with Centurion wheels, aka "Western suspension".

Vehicles in the column include a Merkava 3D, an armoured jeep, and a Nagmachon, among others.

Maybe Dr Manasherod, who visits here on occasion, can shed more light on the vehicle.

hth,

Kylie
Spartak
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 130 posts
Armorama: 108 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 16, 2016 - 12:05 PM UTC
Great information Kylie, thank you very much for your help.
This will be an interesting version of Achzarit with old and new parts.
SabIngaMartin
KitMaker: 173 posts
Armorama: 171 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 16, 2016 - 12:53 PM UTC
Hi All
As I can see this Achzarit is Mark I variant B Achzarit that got the early type of the "Aquarium" commanders cupola. Thus if you want to build this one than use the first version of the Meng Achzarit (early) and add to it the "Aquarium" from the second version Achzarit kit (late).
For more interest versions of Achzarits see as mention above my books vol 3 and vol 6 of the "WIld and Cruel Cats" at www.sabingamartin.com
Hope it helps
Robert

Dr. Robert Manasherob
www.sabingamartin.com
 _GOTOTOP