_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Dragon's upcoming StuG III ausf.E in detail
Wierdy
Visit this Community
Ukraine / Україна
KitMaker: 570 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 04:15 PM UTC
Taken from here for your convenience:
http://www.moxingfans.com/test/DRAGON/2016/0823/2352.html

Wierdy
Visit this Community
Ukraine / Україна
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 04:22 PM UTC
In detail...

Me109G
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 170 posts
Armorama: 138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 04:23 PM UTC
Looks good! I really like Dragon's Panzer III and Stugs. If it comes with magic tracks and DS that's even better! That will keep both camps happy!! Something they should have done a long time ago!!
Wierdy
Visit this Community
Ukraine / Україна
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 04:27 PM UTC
...and assembled.

Wierdy
Visit this Community
Ukraine / Україна
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 04:31 PM UTC
It DOES look good with no fit/moulding issues and Magic Tracks, although it could have more decal options, but that's just an IMHO...
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 05:22 PM UTC
Dragon Stug III's are great kits.Interesting,DS and Magic Tracks ? I don't see the Magic Tracks listed on the box art,Am I missing something ?

http://www.dragonusaonline.com/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=DRA6688
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 06:55 PM UTC
Could this be a positive about-face for Dragon? Both Magic and DS tracks, a fair amount of PE, nicely done weld beads where they should be, etc. Looks like their kits from 10 yrs ago. Some modelers might grumble about the plastic tow cables, but they have the brackets attached, and it might be difficult to mount metal cables to those clamps if they were separate. Looks like a "StuG-off" between Dragon and Bronco. Price might be the only deciding factor.
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 07:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks like a "StuG-off" between Dragon and Bronco. Price might be the only deciding factor.

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on your personal perspective

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47207/thread/1471291104/last-1471410932/View+Thread
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 07:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dragon Stug III's are great kits.Interesting,DS and Magic Tracks ? I don't see the Magic Tracks listed on the box art,Am I missing something ?

Magic Tracks are provided in the first production run for this kit
Tojo72
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 07:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Magic Tracks are provided in the first production run for this kit

Why the eye rolling as if I'm stupid,I only asked if I was missing something ?
Sean50
Visit this Community
Manche, France
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 328 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 09:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Why the eye rolling

Anthony,

I don't know for certain but I took the eye rolling to be aimed at Dragon for only offering both track types in the first production run (as opposed to throughout production) rather than at you/your question.

Cheers

Sean
johhar
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 476 posts
Armorama: 447 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 09:57 PM UTC
A couple of years it seems ago, PMMS had a black and white wartime photo of a short-barreled Stug, B I think. Then it was gone. I've been wanting a new short-barreled Stug for a long time, and like the Bronco DAK, but this thread and the network54 thread make the Dragon new Stugs look good.

I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have seen these Dragon Stugs so quickly if Bronco wasn't bringing Stugs to market (attack and counterattack). So, I feel like I owe something to Bronco for the Dragon Stugs... and still want the Bronco DAK.
hanb7323
Visit this Community
Daejeon, Korea / 대한민국
KitMaker: 408 posts
Armorama: 407 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 10:12 PM UTC
Superb details!!! Dragon does not fall asleep yet
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 11:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A couple of years it seems ago, PMMS had a black and white wartime photo of a short-barreled Stug, B I think. Then it was gone. I've been wanting a new short-barreled Stug for a long time, and like the Bronco DAK, but this thread and the network54 thread make the Dragon new Stugs look good.

I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have seen these Dragon Stugs so quickly if Bronco wasn't bringing Stugs to market (attack and counterattack). So, I feel like I owe something to Bronco for the Dragon Stugs... and still want the Bronco DAK.

Hi, Tony!

I think that I'll have to agree with Sean, in the sense that I always took the "eye rolling" emoticon as something where there is some possible FACTUAL doubt, as an expression of my own personal failings, or self-doubt, or scepticism leveled at a manufacturer's mistake or sometimes even a dubious feature of some kit, and CERTAINLY, never meant it to be a deprecating expression directed at a fellow-modeller...

I think that I may bite the bullet and see if I can get this new DRAGON Stug.III Ausf.E during it's first production run, provided that I can get the "Magic Tracks"... If not, then I'll shoot the works on the BRONCO DAK Ausf.E... -(some doubt there, in my case) I always wanted a DAK Stug.III to go with my DAK Tiger I...

PS- Would also like to see a StuG.III Ausf.B or C...
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 11:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Could this be a positive about-face for Dragon? Both Magic and DS tracks, a fair amount of PE, nicely done weld beads where they should be, etc. Looks like their kits from 10 yrs ago. Some modelers might grumble about the plastic tow cables, but they have the brackets attached, and it might be difficult to mount metal cables to those clamps if they were separate. Looks like a "StuG-off" between Dragon and Bronco. Price might be the only deciding factor.

Re: "Magic Tracks" AND "DS" Tracks in the same kit "being a positive about-face"-

I HOPE so. But IMO, I still think it would be better if DRAGON decided to go with "Magic Tracks" and/or their new "Neo Tracks", which in case anyone out there hasn't heard, are "Link-and-Length" Tracks. I think that it's a definite step in the right direction for DRAGON to give us the option to decide which set of Tracks that we want to use on our models.

On the flip side, there ARE modellers that do like the "DS" Tracks, if only for simplicity's sake. As a counter-point, most US Tracked-vehicles used/uses "Live Tracks", which according to the Tech Manuals, are supposed to have "as much tension as possible, without binding" (paraphrased). The "DS Tracks" are OK on US Tracked-vehicles, but if you reeeally look closely, there is just the tiniest amount of "Track-sag" there on the real thing. That's why I would prefer the "Neo Tracks/Magic Tracks" combination in DRAGON's kits, ESPECIALLY in the case of WWII German Tracked-vehicles, as most of these had very noticeable "Track-sag"...

Opinions..?
Tojo72
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 12:08 AM UTC
We might be paying to have both included,DragonUSA is offering it for $80 for a smallish Stug,thats what their last Tigers go for.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 01:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

We might be paying to have both included,DragonUSA is offering it for $80 for a smallish Stug,thats what their last Tigers go for.

I hear ya! Prices stink, but what can you do? That's the way it is. Just the other day, I went to the grocery for just a few items, and I dropped a HUNDRED BUCKS, and walked out with THREE small plastic bags of stuff!!! And NO, no Rib-eye steaks, either!!!
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 01:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Why the eye rolling

Anthony,

I don't know for certain but I took the eye rolling to be aimed at Dragon for only offering both track types in the first production run (as opposed to throughout production) rather than at you/your question.

Cheers

Sean

That was I was trying to say.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 01:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Why the eye rolling

Anthony,

Cheers

Sean

That was I was trying to say.

Okay Timothy,

What I'm used to is somebody rolling their eyes in disgust at someone's actions,but if you weren't directing at me,that's fine,thank you.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 01:23 AM UTC
Thanks for sharing that. For those who want to compare the kit with Bronco's Ausf. E, here is my review on Armorama.

Overall, both kits have their advantages over the other:

1.) Magic Tracks/DS tracks vs. workable tracks with pins

2.) Molded-on tow cable vs. copper wire cable

3.) styrene gun barrel vs. turned metal barrel

4.) rather complete fighting compartment interior for the DML kit v. very sparse detail for the Bronco kit.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 01:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for sharing that. For those who want to compare the kit with Bronco's Ausf. E, here is my review on Armorama.

Overall, both kits have their advantages over the other:

1.) Magic Tracks/DS tracks vs. workable tracks with pins

2.) Molded-on tow cable vs. copper wire cable

3.) styrene gun barrel vs. turned metal barrel

4.) rather complete fighting compartment interior for the DML kit v. very sparse detail for the Bronco kit.

Thanks, Bill- It's certainly worth the time to think about one's priorities before making a decision as to which kit to buy. I also noticed in one of the photos that the DRAGON StuG.III Ausf.E has "pose-able" Road Wheels, that is to say, as if negotiating a low "obstacle"... That may sway some modellers towards the DRAGON kit. It's not a "major" selling point with me, but it may be for others...

PS- I know it's "Off Topic", but I think it would be nice if ASUKA included at least some rudimentary "Interiors" in their Shermans and Luchs' kits...

One thing's for certain- The "other" manufacturers have "raised the bar" enough for DRAGON to make an effort to be competitive again. I LIKE this new StuG.!!!
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 10:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

PS- I know it's "Off Topic", but I think it would be nice if ASUKA included at least some rudimentary "Interiors" in their Shermans and Luchs' kits...

Dennis, you will get no argument from me.

With all the efforts to separate, openable hatches and PE hinges, it boggles my mind that no one is offering engines for StuGs, Pz.IIIs, Shermans, etc. In many cases, you can't even purchase resin ones (either don't exist, don't fit these kits or are OOP, not to mention EXPENSIVE).
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016 - 05:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

In detail...

Hey Guys! Just saw this over on DRAGON USA:

DR-6851 StuG.III Ausf. C/D.

The initial artwork looks really GOOD. No "box-art", yet... A short "general description" and "history" are provided, along with a list of the new kit's features. No mention of what is provided for Tracks.

I expect that there will be more news of this new StuG.III, right along. Looks like another "winner"...
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 1,092 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 04:44 AM UTC
For those interested in a quick, and by no means comprehensive, comparison between the Bronco Stug 'E' and Dragon's, based solely on me having built the Bronco offering, and looking at the available photographs of the Dragon kit, I'd go with the Dragon kit. And I am a Bronco fan that has shied away from Dragon kits for their errors.

I can say that the Bronco kit is difficult to construct, the tools are ill fitting, there is a general lack of detail, and the instructions are arse about face when it comes to attaching certain parts. Case in point, step 14, parts A29 and A30, the instructions merely point in the general location these are to go. Seeing this, I attached the side mudguards (correct name escapes me right now) before aligning the vents in the correct location. Another one, Step 16, part B50 passes under B37, attached back at Step 15. Not a big deal in itself, but it does make for a difficult build that could be easily avoided had the parts been attached in a different order. And the handle of the hammer that is B37 fouls, or interferes with, the placement of B50, being the lighting conduit. Which, in fairness, is lacking on Dragon's kit.

As for details, discounting Dragon's interior and Bronco's lack thereof, there is a finesse to Dragon's kit that is lacking with Bronco's, from the questionable drive sprocket, to the exhaust parts. Where Dragon's has retaining bands and nut detail, Bronco does not. Dragon's roof on the fighting compartment is also more, and better, detailed than Bronco's. And parts like the jack, Dragon has the retaining straps across the top of the jack, along with the cross hatch on the foot of the jack; Bronco's is lacking both of these details.

My single biggest gripe would be that there is a general lack of tabs to locate and align parts, this would facilitate construction, and keep parts square or sit positively on the model, rather than just resting in place to be glued. Part A14 at Step 9 being a good example. There are others. At Step 10, I left off part A16 because I couldn't be certain where it went. And it wouldn't been seen after completion... and a classic error, Step 10, part B15, the lifting loop for the superstructure, there is only one...

Am I being unfair to Bronco, taking the opportunity for a cheap slagging match? Not really, this is what I'd want to know prior to buying any kit.

Anyways, I'm at the paint stage of this, and will post photos once finished.

Kylie
 _GOTOTOP