_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Shot loader's hatches.
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 11:51 PM UTC
During the research for the two Shots I'm working on (67 Shot & 73 Shot Kal) I stumbled into reference of an after market turret with the loader's hatch oriented along the central axis of the turret. The loader's hatch on the AFV Club kits, and all the photos I found of any sort of Centurions, show the hatch aligned to the right edge of the turret, angling it to the right of the centerline. (Like the angle deck of an aircraft carrier.) As I said, I find no photo evidence of this. What's the story? Someone's flight of fancy? Some factory experiment that ended up in Israeli stocks? An Israeli mod for the later Shot Kals (Gimel & Dalet)
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 12:49 AM UTC
See the explanation/correction in your other thread about Mark 3 vs Mark 5.

I did a google on Centurion Mark 3 turret and there is a very good top view of a Centurion Mark 3 in Korea. It has the early loaders hatch configuration with the straight line of the 2 parts against the commanders cupola. On the later turrets the straight line is on the edge of the turret roof.

Or is there something missing? Can you show a picture of the turret you are talking about?
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 08:02 AM UTC
A picture of the Centurion Mark 3 in Korea, and the Legends Gimel conversion. When I got home from work I checked my reference books and found the Shot Kal Alef on display at Latrun has this turret hatch configuration.

Also, one of the very well known pictures of a Shot destroyed on the Golan Heights with the turret blown off is also one of these tanks.

The AFV Club kits are very nice, but not perfect. I have 4 of the IDF kits waiting.

afvaficionado
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 160 posts
Armorama: 159 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 08:43 AM UTC
Hi Guys
Found this dissertation on the hatches - http://www.mheaust.com.au/Aust/Research/Cent091/Centturretinfo.htm -
I wasn't aware of this issue with the hatches, but as I've just got a Cent Mk III kit in 1/16th scale, it's very well timed.

Mal
afvaficionado
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 160 posts
Armorama: 159 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 09:07 AM UTC
And this site which is all about Oz Cents - http://auxgen.tripod.com/page_9.html -

Mal
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 10:05 AM UTC
Thanks Gents. The Aussie article was real informative. Thanks Malcolm. (And congrades on the All Blacks kicking Wallaby arse last week. ) The pics Randall posted show what I refered to as the "straight deck" hatches. (I seem to remember them being more aligned to the centerline, but are angled more to the right of center.) From what I read I'd guess either or is correct, but the AFV Club "angle deck" is statistically more likely. I want to add the Gimel and Dalet to the collection. Thanks again, guys.
 _GOTOTOP