_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
REVIEW
M1A2 Tusk 1/Tusk 2
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 04:35 PM UTC
Andrew Leeth reviews and builds the 1/35th scale Meng Model M1A2 Meng Tusk 1/Tusk2 and shares his thoughts on the product as he progresses.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 04:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Andrew Leeth reviews and builds the 1/35th scale Meng Model M1A2 Meng Tusk 1/Tusk2 and shares his thoughts on the product as he progresses.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

I dunno, I still like my DRAGON M1s best, judging from the review. The prices of the DRAGON M1s have come down in recent months, so I think they're still a very viable choice- But, that's just my opinion...
LonCray
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 348 posts
Armorama: 256 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 06:30 PM UTC
Oh, good, then I'm not a horrible modeler because I can't handle those tracks at all! Just made a total dog's breakfast out of them.
schweinhund227
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 17 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 07:28 PM UTC
That's a lot of plastic... MENG should up the game on Rubber Bands... Tamiya new bands are very nice... Dragon DS rubber bands (when intact) are very nice as well... This addition would not break the bank if they included both to give the modeller a choice ! That Track Jig was terrible indeed !

Good overall build review ! its quite the kit to Start your MENG journey with !!! Hope you get to paint her soon !
ULIX-VM
Visit this Community
Puerto Rico
KitMaker: 834 posts
Armorama: 649 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 02:12 AM UTC
the hong-kong-based tiger company produce one in 1/72nd.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016 - 12:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

the hong-kong-based tiger company produce one in 1/72nd.

That's good for the modellers that build in 1/72nd scale. There may be some 1/72nd builders that weren't aware of that...
RottenFuhrer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 284 posts
Armorama: 196 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 02:02 AM UTC
I believe Tiger Model is either owned or a subsidiary of Rye Field Model.
liberator
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 783 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 08:28 AM UTC
I think so too..Dragon is the best choice. Now if only we can incorporate the details of TUSK I and II onto the Dragon kit. That would be nice.
bcm235
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 34 posts
Armorama: 31 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 05:31 AM UTC
I'm in the midst of building the Meng Tusk kit now and have the chasis almost done. I liked the kit supplied tracks and didn't have any issues with them, other than the parts being small. It was my first workable tracks, so the novelty level was high for me. The kit supplied jig worked fine. What helped, for me at least, was applying a small amount of Tamiya thin cement in the two small holes on the pads so that the pads stayed together. I just had to make sure that the glue didn't get on the "stick" portion of the tracks so that the track was workable.

Most of my kits are Tamiya, so I'm more use to the rubber band types. It would have been nice if Meng had supplied two sets of tracks (workable and rubber band). I have a Trumpeter M1 Panther II kit and that kit comes with both types of tracks.

Overall, I like the Meng kit very much. I was very disappointed with my Dragon M1A2 SEP V2 kit. Yes, it has a lot of details, but mine came with a warped hull. I have read comments from other people who received a warped hull like I did, AFTER I purchased my kit. I used some evergreen plastic to make it as straight as possible, but it still had a bit of a wobble. I bought the Dragon kit at a LHS for about $90 and I feel ripped off (by Dragon). I'm almost finished with that model and while I am very pleased with the level of detail, the warped hull really put me off.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 07:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I bought the Dragon kit at a LHS for about $90...

That was your first mistake. You can find Dragon, and pretty much any other manufacturer, for about half that from Asian and on-line vendors. Local hobby shops are great for supplies, but crazy on their kit prices. I never buy kits at them unless they are on deep discount sales. I want to support them, but not at crazy prices like that.

As to the Meng kit, it is pretty nice. I prefer indi-link track over rubber bands myself, so I like that aspect of it. I think indi-links give a better impression of actual tracks since the blocks themselves don't bend like rubber band tracks do. Indi-links are usually much better detailed as well.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 - 11:30 AM UTC
I'm like you to Gino about spending that much on my kits. I guess I am one of the lucky ones that my LHS gives a "MILITARY" discount. If it wasn't for the discount, a majority of my kits would be bought on line.

As for Bill buying the Dragon SEP V2 kit for $90, I would have opted for the Academy kit. It is as detailed as the Dragon kit, comes with rubber band tracks and is almost half the price.
A2k
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
KitMaker: 11 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 05:50 PM UTC
I got mine at one of the local modelling shows in the Netherlands discounted for 50 Euro. That was the only reason I got this one.
A2k
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
KitMaker: 11 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 05:53 PM UTC
On the tracks: The jig works for me. Perhaps I had enough practice with the one for the Leopard 1 as that uses the same system. I think making the complete tracks is going to take about 10 hours in total but I do like the detail on these and it takes my mind of work (I'm building this one in my lunch break).
 _GOTOTOP