_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Anti-slip WHIT Mr SURFACER
superfrelon
Visit this Community
Seine-et-Marne, France
KitMaker: 130 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 06:18 PM UTC
Hello everyone
I want to make a non-slip surface . I have a memory of a blog or a layout artist using a technique with Mr SURFACER and airbrush.

Could you help me regarding the type Mr SURFACER to use, the product of dilution ratio and pressure to adjust the compressor???

Thank you so much for your help ams !!!!

Pierric
Darkin
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Malopolskie, Poland
KitMaker: 56 posts
Armorama: 51 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 07:13 PM UTC
Hi on Paweł Krupowicz website (http://www.vodnik.net/) in "FEATURES" you can find accurate guide on how to "Easy to make non-slip surfaces",
Happy Modelling Darek
superfrelon
Visit this Community
Seine-et-Marne, France
KitMaker: 130 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 07:23 PM UTC
thank you my friend
It is precisely the article I was looking for !!!!
I was Despere !!!! ha ha ha
Thank you very much !!!!!!
JSSVIII
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,169 posts
Armorama: 1,067 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 10:44 PM UTC
Thank you very much for posting that, I had never heard of that method before, it should work well for most applications. While we are on the anti-slip surface subject, does anyone have a similar article on how to do the "heavier" IDF style anti skid texture? I'm sure the idea is similar, except that the sprayed on part is just used as an adhesive coat, and then I have heard that "embossing powder" is sprinkled on to get a courser finish. what is used as the adhesive coat, has anyone here used this technique, or know of a good article about it?
JUSTK
Visit this Community
Trinidad And Tobago
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 85 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 11:55 PM UTC
I still believe in Rustoleum Stone Creations and plenty of masking to do the trick.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 01:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

artist using a technique with Mr SURFACER and airbrush

I don't think anyone called me an artist before

I would suggest one modification to my original technique now: after masking the areas to be covered with non-slip, first apply a regular coat of the Mr Surfacer (appropriatelly thinned) or other surface primer. Only once this first (smooth) layer of primer is dry, I would apply my old technique on top of it, as described in my article. This way the non-slip areas should be a bit more pronounced, but still with fine grain appropriate for most modern US armor.

Please note however that I have not tried this method yet!

Quoted Text

I still believe in Rustoleum Stone Creations and plenty of masking to do the trick.

The problem is that Rustoleum type products are not available in some countries...
I recently use Tamiya texture paint (e.g. Dark Grey Pavement Effect) to achieve a bit rougher non slip coating, like here:

zapper
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 745 posts
Armorama: 734 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 01:34 PM UTC
@Pawel

Did you use airbrush to spray it on, or just a brush?
Need to put AS on my M9 and it seem to have a more rough, uneven finish than what you get from using terracotta texture spray.

BTW, in Sweden we don't have Rustoleum products, but there's another brand, CRC, that have the same kind of texture paints. I think CRC's products might be easier to find in Europe?

Cheers,
/E
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 10:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

@Pawel

Did you use airbrush to spray it on, or just a brush?

I use a regular brush to apply Tamiya texture paints. They are very thick - they would never work with airbrush.
JUSTK
Visit this Community
Trinidad And Tobago
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 85 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 11:12 PM UTC
Erik,
There are other spray textures in the Rustoleum Brand. Terracotta ans Sandstone are some of the finer ones but the stone creation are rough. I did sprikle some fine sand on the wet rustoleum from a distance on my Merkavas and then over sprayed with rustoleum a second time to seal the particles.
Wierdy
Visit this Community
Ukraine / Україна
KitMaker: 570 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016 - 08:21 PM UTC
Tried Pawel's technique on a muffler just yesterday to mimic cast texture. Undiluted Mr.Surfacer 500 never came out of the nozzle at 40 psi, but it did at 60 with a few drops of Leveling thinner. Maybe it's because my nozzle is only 0.3 mm in diameter, or I used not very fresh bottle, or both. The result was satisfactory, if not too uniform (just the thing for anti-slip), so I had to retouch it with good old brush stippling.
 _GOTOTOP