_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
ICM American Doughboy conversions
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 01:27 PM UTC
I was commissioned to make some 28th Infantry Division US infantry spring of 1918. All I had was the ICM 1917 figures. However all the bits necessary are in the box.

Making the canvas leggings into spiral wrap leggings was simplicity itself. Earlier I had gone so far as to actually wind the leg with paper and very thin sheet plastic. But it was a lot of work for too little effect. So here I just took a file and carved in the seams and grooves of the leggings.

The gasmasks were on the accessory sprue but required hollowing out of the inside to fit on the chest. The pack should conform to the chest not the chest to the pack. I still have to add the neck straps for holding them in ready position.

The figures are supposed to be advancing on a German trench so the poses had to be modified.

I wanted a variety of weapons so one guy has a shotgun and another a BAR. The 1917 figures in the box only have rifleman equipment layouts. I checked my references to get the gear layout right.

Here's a picture of the diorama layout. I'm only doing the figures. A far better builder than I is doing the tanks.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 01:31 PM UTC

My brother is doing the tanks. There will be four German defenders.
GarethM
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 03:15 PM UTC
BARs didn't reach the front lines until September 1918 because Pershing held them back to prevent them from falling into enemy hands.The Chauchat would be a more appropriate choice.

Amazing work with the posing there.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 04:01 PM UTC
These guys served with the British so might even have had Lewis guns. I can probably coax a Lewis gun or Chit-chat into the figure's hands if necessary.

They probably also had Enfield rifles rather than Springfields but I was told not to worry about that. I am to make certain to put the patches on their shoulder though most references say they didn't appear until after Armistice Day. However the 28th might have been an exception.

Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 10:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

These guys served with the British so might even have had Lewis guns. I can probably coax a Lewis gun or Chit-chat into the figure's hands if necessary.

They probably also had Enfield rifles rather than Springfields but I was told not to worry about that. I am to make certain to put the patches on their shoulder though most references say they didn't appear until after Armistice Day. However the 28th might have been an exception.

We'll I totally blew that one. So the diorama is supposed to be of the 29th division "blue and gray " in the Meuse Argonne September-October 1918. Specifically the two NJ National Guard infantry regiments. So I stand corrected.

Fortunately my research on gear and patches remains right. I'll be uploading pictures when time permits.

jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 06:42 PM UTC
Nice to see a dio concerning the GI during the Great War. One doesn't see that very often.
J
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 09:27 PM UTC
Note also that the AEF light and heavy tanks were assigned to different battalions, and served in different sectors. The British required that British-built tanks had to serve only in British areas of operations.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 10:06 PM UTC
Wrapping a thin strip of Tamiya masking tape for the leggings is even faster.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 11:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wrapping a thin strip of Tamiya masking tape for the leggings is even faster.

Hi, all! 3M also makes some tape that is very similar to TAMIYA's for less money- Pin-stripers and auto body shops use this tape; it's flexible, it comes in varying widths, it's adhesive side is low-tack, and it doesn't react to petroleum-based or water-based paints. I like to use this stuff on my 1/48 aircraft. Will check on ebay for it's proper name...
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2016 - 11:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

We'll I totally blew that one. So the diorama is supposed to be of the 29th division "blue and gray " in the Meuse Argonne September-October 1918. Specifically the two NJ National Guard infantry regiments. So I stand corrected.

Fortunately my research on gear and patches remains right. I'll be uploading pictures when time permits.

Hi, Steve!

Just a side note- The 28th Infantry Division was given the name "Bloody Bucket" by the Germans during WWII. The name stemmed from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania's "Keystone" emblem, which looked like a bucket to the Germans, and also from the 28th Infantry Division Infantrymen's ferocity in fighting their enemies.

The 29th Infantry Division's "Ying & Yang" emblem stems from it's human element, i.e, the men and women, "Blues" & "Grays" hail from Northern and Southern States, even though it is based at Fort Belvoir, in Virginia, which during the Civil War, belonged to the Confederacy.

Both Divisions fought with distinction in all the major wars that the US has ever been involved in...

NICE WORK, by the way!

PS- Have you seen Tim Wilson's WWI dio? It's under "Cambrai 1917"...

Interesting in that you are both doing WWI dios at the same time!
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 08:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Note also that the AEF light and heavy tanks were assigned to different battalions, and served in different sectors. The British required that British-built tanks had to serve only in British areas of operations.

The person doing the armor said that an FT-17 was attached to the Mark IV heavies for liason and command. That's Tom's side of things.

*forehead smack* thin Tamiya tape for leggings doh!
TimW42
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 159 posts
Armorama: 158 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 04:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi, Steve!

Just a side note- The 28th Infantry Division was given the name "Bloody Bucket" by the Germans during WWII. The name stemmed from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania's "Keystone" emblem, which looked like a bucket to the Germans, and also from the 28th Infantry Division Infantrymen's ferocity in fighting their enemies.

The 29th Infantry Division's "Ying & Yang" emblem stems from it's human element, i.e, the men and women, "Blues" & "Grays" hail from Northern and Southern States, even though it is based at Fort Belvoir, in Virginia, which during the Civil War, belonged to the Confederacy.

Both Divisions fought with distinction in all the major wars that the US has ever been involved in...

NICE WORK, by the way!

PS- Have you seen Tim Wilson's WWI dio? It's under "Cambrai 1917"...

Interesting in that you are both doing WWI dios at the same time!

Yeah, this one is looking impressive! I knew ICM had US infantry out, but wasn't sure why they went with the "not in the field look" with the campaign hats and no puttees.

But he, we have a lot more to work with now so I'm not complaining!

Cheers,

Tim W.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 02:01 PM UTC

They're done. Americans did wear the full pack during the entire war as here.

The most common modification was to drop the blanket and its carrier as here.

Helmet, gas mask, and puttees were the common battle dress. Any soldiers who could also acquired side arms like trench knives and pistols.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 02:14 PM UTC

And an Armor Force liasion officer: Just because I wanted to do him in khaki trousers and crushed campaign hat as if he's a horse cavalry officer.

There are about four different colors of OD for the uniforms, three different colors of sand and khaki for the gear including one with a distinct greenish tinge. The tan strip at the top of the puttees appears in all the photos of US troops in World War One infantry in Color Photographs
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 06:44 PM UTC
I say again,this is so cool finally seeing a dio concerning WWI doughboys. You have captured my imagination. I have full scale drawings of an American arty piece with limber I always wanted to scratchbuild,showing the whole team,etc. I have to take more of a break from that thing after finishing my German tam but hopefully someday ??
Thanks for the inspiration buddy ! Go Infantry.
J
fificat
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 135 posts
Armorama: 109 posts
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2016 - 01:32 AM UTC
Great figures. Could you tell me what paint color you used for the US infantry uniforms?
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2016 - 04:51 AM UTC
I used three different tones of brown olive drab. Humbrol (h155) and two from the defunct Polly Scale brand: Olive Drab and Soviet Khaki.
 _GOTOTOP