_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
T72B3 Turret Question
barra733
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 282 posts
Armorama: 255 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 10:09 PM UTC
T-73B3 - Does anyone know what the bent over tube device is in the centre of this picture (from:http://www.dishmodels.ru):

It's not depicted in the Meng T-72B3 kit. I'm thinking it may be something to do with the wind sensor mast..? Is it a leftover from the old T72?
DutyFirst1917
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 93 posts
Armorama: 86 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 07:30 AM UTC
Ian,

I'll throw out a somewhat educated guess of either some type of connection based on what appears to be a cover of some sort laying next to the end of the tube. Perhaps electrical for an accessory or other pieces of kit but the angle is odd. The other idea I had was some sort of pressure relief valve. Either way it looks important as it appears that some thought was applied to protect it. Curious indeed.

Tim
barra733
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 282 posts
Armorama: 255 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 02:45 AM UTC
Have now seen it on a few T72B3 walk arounds now so think it is a standard fit. It's just in front of the antenna so it may be something to do with that. The other thought I had was that maybe it's a NBC 'sniffing' tube..?
101yann
Visit this Community
Ille-et-Vilaine, France
KitMaker: 97 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 03:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Have now seen it on a few T72B3 walk arounds now so think it is a standard fit. It's just in front of the antenna so it may be something to do with that. The other thought I had was that maybe it's a NBC 'sniffing' tube..?

My Russian friends told me it's used to connect some sort of pressure gauge to check air tightness inside the tank (in a nuclear environment, also for underwater driving).

BTW This bent over tube is seen on most T-72Bs and T-90s.

YJ
 _GOTOTOP