_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Humvee Conversion Question
darklen
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 72 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Friday, September 02, 2016 - 08:15 AM UTC
I have a number of old Verlinden conversion kits for the Italeri Humvee. Has anyone or does anyone know if they'll work with the 2003 Tamiya kits? Tamiya release their own tooled Humvee then and dropped the Italeri rebox (Bushmaster version) A bit of work isn't a problem but if they are too far out of whack to use, then I won't bother.
WXerock
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 668 posts
Posted: Friday, September 02, 2016 - 08:37 AM UTC
Bob, I have a few of the Tamiya M1025/M1046. There is no reason to use any of the Verlinden conversion parts. The Tamiya kits are detailed enough that none of the Verlinden parts are necessary. Although their M998 conversion, if available, if the only way to convert a Tamiya kit to that version. There was an old M998 conversion by Calibre 35, but that set is near impossible to find. The stowage contained in the Verlinden sets is nice. Their castings are usually very sharp and have very few defects. The only issue with their stowage is they stick bits into their kits that are way out of date for the version being modelled. Verlinden seems to think a Dragon Anti-Tank missile is a good loadout for a HMMWV from 1983 and 2013. If you want dedicated photo etch that is more relevant and made for the Tamiya kits, buy the Eduard sets. Eduard 35629 is made for the M1025 and 35655 is made for the M1046. The one for the M1046 is very hard to find though. Just my two cents. I hope this was helpful.

Regards,

Eric
stephane
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 432 posts
Armorama: 429 posts
Posted: Friday, September 02, 2016 - 01:28 PM UTC
Hello
I could add that the Italeri/Academy kits have not the same dimensions as Tamiya humvee.
The Tamiya kit (and the Bronco ones) is/are accurate(s) when the italeri/Academy is shorter with smaller poor wheels.
As said too, the Tamiya parts are far superior and Bronco one are better detailler and more up to date that the japanese kit.

Hope this help
Stephane
stephane
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 432 posts
Armorama: 429 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 03:19 PM UTC
I talked about the Old academy humvee not the recent m1151 one witch is correct.
 _GOTOTOP