_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
T72M1 build
metooshelah
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
KitMaker: 1,507 posts
Armorama: 1,304 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 11:22 PM UTC
hey, this is my build of the Tamiya T72M1 MBT. i will use PE from Voyager, tracks from MaterClub and barrel from RB. while you do get 2 built options (regular and desertized one) painting options are very limited. I'm looking for an interesting camo scheme, and would appreciate any help on this

what i like about tamiya kits is the little intro at the front of the instruction booklet:

DSC_0021 by Nathan Ram, on Flickr

fantastic details very sharp and crisp, even on the hull

DSC_0030 by Nathan Ram, on Flickr

DSC_0032 by Nathan Ram, on Flickr

just to the right and up of the sprocket mount there should be a welt and bolt pattern for a mud scraper. not only does the part does not exist, there are no markings for it on the hull! i have found several references to it on pictures so its weird to me tamyia forgot it

DSC_0040 by Nathan Ram, on Flickr

here it is on the voyager pe instruction sheet (still trying to figure how to solder pe):

DSC_0042 by Nathan Ram, on Flickr

i have assembled the sprockets so i could get a balk-park estimate of the location of the mud scraper. also tried some MasterClub tracks - they fit beautiful:

DSC_0038 by Nathan Ram, on Flickr

getting the barrels ready to receive PE straps. started scraping with a knife, then coarse sanding paper and finished with fine paper with a bit of water:

DSC_0044 by Nathan Ram, on Flickr
hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,024 posts
Armorama: 1,013 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 04:43 AM UTC
If you are going for 100% accuracy, the Tamiya kit only allows you to build the NVA (East German "National People's Army) version, since the kit represents a vehicle with a mix of the M hull with the M turret, only used by this army.

If you don't mind that much about accuracy, you may try the Indian Army urban cammo scheme, or something a bit easier like the Finnish Army cammo.

In any case, you should consider to check the particular specific differences between these versions and the NVA one, to decide how much detail you'll want to add.
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 11:06 AM UTC
Hi;

"AHH"--The Tamiya T-72 !! Now this is A kit I know really Well Ive built Fifteen (15) differen version's of the Tamiya kit of the T-72. Now keep in mind that this is Not A new kit of the T-72, and as such is not even close in detail as either Trumpeter or Meng's newer kits. As for accuracy you just have to Look at its own Box Top art rendering and find missing details that are not included, Now I am A Fan of Tamiya and have A Lot of there kits in my collection, my Biggest Gripe with this kit is the Open Sponson's Fill in the sponson's on each side of the Hull ! As Hugo Stated about accuracy, you could spend Six Months just trying to add the missing details.
Enough Said; If you Google the T-72 and Search further down you will come across the Tanks Incyclopedia on the T-72,
It gives you quite A few camo; scemes that you mite like.
CHEERS; MIKE.
metooshelah
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
KitMaker: 1,507 posts
Armorama: 1,304 posts
Posted: Friday, May 19, 2017 - 11:47 PM UTC
phew, it has been a while...

im a sucker for voyager PE. they are my go-to PE manufacturer for almost all of my project. but this time... I'm kinda disappointed. the instructions are not on par with their usual stuff, with steps that will have you scratching your head.
a lot.
also, many of the parts are overly engineered and feel complicated just for the sake of being complicated. i dont enjoy this PE kit :/

but i will persevere, because some of the Tamiya kit parts i have already modified to accept the PE replacements, and at this stage i can't go back. I also want to get that T72 done and by thunder i will!

the following pictures are of what i manage to make of the fuel drum holders. by no means a good job, but at least i managed to solder them - which was not easy for me, this being the first time I'm soldering PE, and the kit is no help...

IMG_0522 by nathan ram, on Flickr

IMG_0523 by nathan ram, on Flickr
JSSVIII
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,169 posts
Armorama: 1,067 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 20, 2017 - 12:31 AM UTC
It is funny that you just brought this thread back to the top Nathan, I was just going to post these photos as a new thread, but I think I'll post them here instead. I have been wanting to do a Libyan t-72, with the sand base with black stripes, which I find very interesting:

Then I noticed that apparently either some of the rare versions of the T-72 that the Tamiya kit depicts have made their way to Libya, or they welded the front hull plates on themselves:

Either way, it looks like the Tamiya kit can be used as a Libyan tank, at least the front hull can be used as it is found in the kit that is. I'm not sure about the rest of the details in the kit, as I understand it the turret has shape issues. I don't know enough about T-72 turrets yet to be sure which aftermarket replacement would be correct for a Libyan version, but maybe someone here can help with that.
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 07:14 PM UTC
Hi;

The T-72 has been discussed at lenght here on Armorama, all you have to do is just read the articules that JD has posted and it should give you all the features on the Tamiya kit !! The kit is fine for A Out Of Box build if you want A rare example of A type used by the NVA with A rare turret. As for AM turret's there are replacments by Miniarm,SBS,BLAST, and A couple of other's : And as far as A libyan example is concerend there are A few different versions you could be built, even the URAL turret cab still be seen !

CHEERS; MIKE.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 09:55 PM UTC
For a Libyan tank, I would simply buy a T-72 A/M1 turret (Without any ERA or the applique armor on the top) and you should be good to go.

If you want more info, like Mike said, there is a lot in the other threads you can read about. Look for anything T-72 related and go from there.
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 11:46 PM UTC
This shop sells various T-72 turrets.
http://www.hobbyeasy.com/
 _GOTOTOP