_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
israel M-60 during 1973 war
avenue
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 544 posts
Armorama: 542 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 09:55 AM UTC
during the 73 war, US M-60 were shipped directly from US strategic reserve in germany to israel.were M-60 been modified,or just send directly to the front?
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,300 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 11:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

during the 73 war, US M-60 were shipped directly from US strategic reserve in germany to israel.were M-60 been modified,or just send directly to the front?

The IDF suffered heavy losses during three weeks of fighting (especially on the first one) on two fronts (Golan Heights and Sinai Peninsula). I seriously doubt there was any time to carry out any (major) modification. I believe the M60’s received during the war (operation "Nickel Grass") served in their original configuration. The exact number of tanks supplied from German depots is unknown, but it is widely believed that they we're flown to Israel in VERY LIMITED numbers towards the end of the war. In other words, their influence on the final outcome was neglectable.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 05:48 PM UTC
The tanks sent were standard M60A1s without any modifications. Many were quickly sent into combat still in OD green, with only their white US stars sprayed over with black paint. Other than that, no changes were made.
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 921 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 06:15 PM UTC
The following photo shows Magach 6A tanks on February the 21st 1973. Notice the paint of the vehicles.

This is a destroyed Magach 6A. Notice the machine gun added to the commanders cupola. The destroyed searchlight on the ground suggests that it was mounted on the manlet.

These photos are for refference only, I cannot clarify the date:

I do not have any information regarding plain M60 tanks (Magach 6).
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2016 - 01:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The tanks sent were standard M60A1s without any modifications. Many were quickly sent into combat still in OD green, with only their white US stars sprayed over with black paint. Other than that, no changes were made.

As I mentioned earlier, the exact number of M60's supplied to Israel DURING THE WAR is unknown, but according to different sources, the story as follows:

"a single M-60 tank was flown to Israel in a C-5 plane, was unloaded in front of the press, then in hiding it was loaded back on the C-5 and flown back to Germany, where it came from. These things had the hoped effect on the Syrian and Egyptian governments who now agreed to a cease fire, which they didn’t agree to earlier on, around Oct 12. In reality, much of the reinforcement arrived in ships about two months after the major hostilities ended."

source : https://www.quora.com/What-if-the-US-never-supplied-Israel-in-the-Yom-Kippur-war

I've crosschecked this info in Hebrew, received the same results. However, I'm still looking for more references concerning the amount of M60's received during operation "Nickel Grass".

avenue
Visit this Community
Philippines
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2016 - 01:40 PM UTC
do dragon's M-60a1 include decal for israel army?I thinking of get one.
avenue
Visit this Community
Philippines
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2016 - 01:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

you mean standard NATO tri-color?
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2016 - 01:52 PM UTC
Most likely this picture resembles that specific M60 that was flown to Israel for "PR" reasons. It's hard to tell, but it looks like a single color scheme (probably standard US OD).

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Nickel_Grass_M60_C-5.jpg#/media/File:Nickel_Grass_M60_C-5.jpg
mkp
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
KitMaker: 35 posts
Armorama: 35 posts
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2016 - 04:10 PM UTC
[/quote]you mean standard NATO tri-color?[/quote]

The NATO three-color camo was established in mid./late 1980ies. In 1973 most of US vehicles in Europe were in dark OD, although they started to test the so called 7th Army Camo (also called MASSTER camo). This was a four color camo with sand/red brown/light olive/black.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2016 - 05:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

you mean standard NATO tri-color?

Nope, as Mirko says, US AFVs were still overall dark OD Green in '73. NATO tri-color camo wasn't adopted until the early-mid '80s.

Quoted Text

do dragon's M-60a1 include decal for israel army?I thinking of get one.

I think you mean AFV Club's M60A1 since Dragon doesn't offer an M60A1 (yet). Most of the parts for one are in their new M60 kit, minus the new turret. AFV Club's does have IDF decals though, white chevrons and number plates.

Check here for a full review.
 _GOTOTOP