_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
tracks too short
bairdlander
KitMaker: 53 posts
Armorama: 51 posts
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2016 - 03:12 AM UTC
Building the Academy PZ 4.The tracks are too short.The cost of replacement tracks is basically the same price I paid for the kit.I decided to glue them on the road wheels,but still a gap of about 3mm.Would a work around be maybe filling the gap with some fake mud or dirt?
slug955
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2016 - 03:40 AM UTC
I am not familiar with this kit but when I had this problem it was because I had the idler swing arms rotated too far back so making the track run too long.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2016 - 03:44 AM UTC
if is vinyl track you can put in hot water and stratch them a little bit
DutyFirst1917
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 93 posts
Armorama: 86 posts
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2016 - 04:10 AM UTC
If the kit came with spare links that were to go on the turret or hull that could bridge the gap! As for the mud yeah that could work but I would recommend a real wet mud look as if the tank just came out of a mud hole. The tracks shed mud pretty fast after leaving a mud hole.

Cheers

Tim
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2016 - 06:32 AM UTC
I built a couple of those kits and never had problems with its rubber band tracks. I'd second what Vicious said -- give those track types a bit of a careful stretch before mounting. Mud / wearhering is an option to hide the gap. Other options -- Academy has AM tracks for its Pz IVs which is surely cheaper than a whole kit. Or maybe post in the wanted forum and ask for folks who didn't use their rubber band tracks in lieu of indy links.
 _GOTOTOP