_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Beginners
A good place to look if you are just starting out.
Hosted by Darren Baker
1:35 Diorama. Battle of Caen
MiguelBR
Visit this Community
Orense, Spain / España
KitMaker: 85 posts
Armorama: 82 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 05:26 PM UTC
Hi,

Here my last work, a battle of Caen based 1:35 Dio.

Video link: https://youtu.be/LQWOMWBUchk

Regards
strongarden
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 730 posts
Armorama: 624 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 08:40 AM UTC
MIGUEL... dude I don't know what to say this is....

AWESOME!!!!!!!

Audio? Wow this is truly impressive, the different soldiers and their comments, some were very entertaining, to say the least!
Que graciosa!

Thank You for presenting something so interesting and involved.
I noticed some figures still w/ seam lines, a minor thing in figure building. But just by how you've presented them, OOB and straightforward poses, it really doesn't matter!!!
The sound effect of a steady downpour, the Sherman's gun firing, both US/German languages, and just how they were speaking, you've really done well sir, bravo!

Thanks for sharing this.

Best Wishes
Dave
hanb7323
Visit this Community
Daejeon, Korea / 대한민국
KitMaker: 408 posts
Armorama: 407 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 08:45 AM UTC
Impressive and inspiring. Congratulations
MiguelBR
Visit this Community
Orense, Spain / España
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 12:26 PM UTC
Thanks to all. I must improve a lot of thinks, I know. The diferent video voices maded by online TTS by means windows recorder.

Regards
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 04:50 PM UTC
Miguel, I hate to point this out to you but there were no American units involved in the battle for Caen. They were exclusively British and Canadian units. It was a British objective on D-Day but it was a bit overambitious to say the least even getting as far as Caen let alone taking it. If you look at a map of Normandy you will see that Normandy is divided into two distinct sectors in line with the landing beaches with the US in the West. It wasn't until the closing of the Falaise Gap that US forces moved across to the British and Canadian sector. Also the 76mm Sherman was first used in combat on Operation Cobra which was just after the end of the Battle For Caen so it would be the wrong model of Sherman anyway. I don't mean to sound negative but I always think it's important to get some historical accuracy ie the right combatants for a depiction in a dio.If you rename to somewhere that was an American battle it that should clear up the error.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 05:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Miguel, I hate to point this out to you but there were no American units involved in the battle for Caen. They were exclusively British and Canadian units. It was a British objective on D-Day but it was a bit overambitious to say the least even getting as far as Caen let alone taking it. If you look at a map of Normandy you will see that Normandy is divided into two distinct sectors in line with the landing beaches with the US in the West. It wasn't until the closing of the Falaise Gap that US forces moved across to the British and Canadian sector. Also the 76mm Sherman was first used in combat on Operation Cobra which was just after the end of the Battle For Caen so it would be the wrong model of Sherman anyway. I don't mean to sound negative but I always think it's important to get some historical accuracy ie the right combatants for a depiction in a dio.If you rename to somewhere that was an American battle it that should clear up the error.

Karl is right!
MiguelBR
Visit this Community
Orense, Spain / España
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 07:01 PM UTC
The dio is based on pictures showed on the end of video. I donwloaded this photos from internet, the web page says that it was on Caen battle. Sorry for mistake.
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 08:59 AM UTC
Miguel, no need to apologise mate. We've all made mistakes at some point or another. I've let myself down before by not checking something properly before marking up a vehicle which resulted in a respray as I found that the vehicle I'd built wasn't used by that particular division DOH! Whenever I build a dio I usually do a lot of research before I even think about buying kits. As you're new to dios it'll be a new thing to you. When you decide in your minds eye what you want to portray say a particular battle, like Caen for instance, for the sake of speed you could have a quick read up on say Wikipedia to get a rough idea of the timeline of the battle, participants, what time of year it was (very important as you wouldn't have acres of knee deep mud in the middle of Summer). Once you've decided that is the battle you want to model then think about your vehicles and check that the vehicle was in use by whichever army in that battle. For example you couldn't have an Elefant in Normandy as they were only used in Italy and on the Eastern Front (although there are rumours a couple were about during the Battle Of Berlin)pretty much the same as you couldn't have a 76mm armed HVSS Sherman in Normandy as they came into service later on. It's all relatively easy to check online and you can do it the old fashioned way which I find is the best way and wade through a pile of books lol. Never get your information from one source. If that source is wrong it follows that the dio will be wrong. I looked at a couple of groups on Facebook that were WW2 Third Reich history groups as that's one of my main interests. Some of the crap that people came out with on there amazed me. It seemed that every picture of German infantry was Waffen SS to some people despite them quite clearly being Wehrmacht due to their uniform details and every German machine gun was an MG42 even if it wasn't so be very wary. People do get things wrong and then it has a knock on effect. Check and doublecheck lol. Use here to check things that you're unsure of as someone will always have an answer for your question and can inevitably provide you with some really useful links to help your project along as by and large people are really helpful. I hope you don't take this as lecturing you as I really don't mean to and hope I've not offended you but my philosophy is if someones going to the trouble of building a dio, working hard on all the elements of it, figures, vehicles, scenic side it's easy to check before you pick up a brush to check that it's historically correct. This is just a bit of guidance for your next dio (they are addictive I've found) which I look forward to as you've obviously put a lot of effort into this one. Remember, if ever you're unsure of something or have a question about anything in particular just ask and I'm sure someone will either answer it for you or point you in the right direction
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 06:51 PM UTC
YES!!! Ditto what Kurt said,spot on.
And don't get discouraged by corrections,they are meant well.
J
MiguelBR
Visit this Community
Orense, Spain / España
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 07:43 PM UTC
Don't worry. I'm starting and I must take on care all the aspects for a publication. I started 10 months ago, so... there is a long way. I like this hobby.

Video en castellano

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av-Qqkf7G8Q

MiguelBR
Visit this Community
Orense, Spain / España
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 07:55 PM UTC
Some Pics:

obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 08:38 PM UTC
A really unique presentation!! The addition of sound effects & the rain were pretty cool. And I like how you made good use of those old Tamiya figures. Despite any historical inaccuracy, a very well done scene. Thanks for posting it!
MiguelBR
Visit this Community
Orense, Spain / España
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 08:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A really unique presentation!! The addition of sound effects & the rain were pretty cool. And I like how you made good use of those old Tamiya figures. Despite any historical inaccuracy, a very well done scene. Thanks for posting it!

Thanks Jack, that was my intention, a new way to show my dio.
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2016 - 04:43 PM UTC
Saludos Miguel !

I agree with Karl about the importance of research (but btw they weren’t “Elephants” in Russia, they were “Ferdinands” which were later re-engineered and re-named for Italy), but you can easily fix the problem by simply re-naming your work “Falaise” or some other Normandy sector where the yanks were operating.

But most of all I echo Dave’s reaction – WOW! I noticed this isn’t your first video-dio (on YouTube anyway) but it’s definitely the best so far & the most interesting. The man-hours this production must have taken (after building/painting everything) is obvious, and your attention to detail is excellent. For me it passed the acid-test; it kept my attention and I wanted to see what happened next, right to the end. I couldn’t quite believe my eyes with that brilliant rain and the darkness.

You’re making a bigger leap in a different (if a bit similar) direction to me – but many times more difficult than my Diodramas so I’m full of admiration. I think you’re aware there a few things that need improving, but I can understand that some of those are due to the technical limitations you have to work with. One suggestion that’s easy to do (and I’m saying this because I often make the same mistake) is to keep moving the position of the figures in the same scene when you change viewpoint. It’s so easy to get totally wrapped up in all the other technicalities like lighting, other conditions, framing etc., and it’s only after I’ve taken a series of still-photos supposedly depicting a passage of time that I stupidly realise nobody’s moved at all. Obviously the basic problem is that they are statues, so how about making 3 or 4 separate figures in different poses but with identical uniform/kit/weapon to represent each guy, and never use the same one twice in the same scene.

I’m not sure but possibly slow-motion tracking shots might also reduce the static nature of a scene…maybe it could have the opposite effect…depends what the scene was about perhaps. Slowed-down smoke would make a big difference if you can manage it, but of course it’s not recommended for in-doors filming. It sure causes me big problems outdoors (I only shoot in daylight) usually due to the wind-direction reversing 180 degrees two seconds before I’m ready. Feeding smoke up from underneath via a non-flammable flexible tube from a smouldering bucket is one method. I’m still working on tank exhaust, which needs the wife/girlfriend to blow down a tube at the right moment… but that’s another story.

The voices are possibly not necessary - they don’t work well – because if the action in a scene is clear enough, you shouldn’t need them. They only need to cough, or whistle, or whisper, or make footstep noises – all universal language. The other sound-effects are excellent and the Sherman firing at the end was spectacular - I have no idea how difficult that was to do but with more trials I think you could get it looking even better. I’m sure you already know it usually takes many failures before success if it’s worth doing.

You are a very clever, imaginative and talented trail-blazer – a Video Diodramatist in fact. Maybe our esteemed Armorama editors might consider allocating a niche somewhere on the website for what you (and I) are trying to do -“Action!” Meanwhile, why not re-name your clip and post 10 or 12 stills to them for a Photo-feature, plus a link to the video? You deserve a wider audience.

Best wishes & looking forward to more, Tim
MiguelBR
Visit this Community
Orense, Spain / España
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2016 - 06:38 PM UTC
Hi Martin,

First of all, thanks for yours tips. About painting, I haven't airbrush, so that the finish of buildings or vehicles are no totally good.

I know your impresive work, how you make a realistic photos with action, ligths, exploxions,etc. I think that this is a plus of our work. You are a reference for me.

I have used a video post production for add rain, exploxion,.. with video overlay technique. I think that, add slowed-down smoke to video is easy with this technique, because, as you say, real smoke is dificult and dangerous.

I have put voices to the soldiers to explain a dio history, but you are right, perhaps it's not neccesary. I made a poor traveling at the beguining of video, but I must invent some way to make it more smoothed.

I'm happy that you like. I will work and enjoy this hobby.

Regards
MiguelBR
Visit this Community
Orense, Spain / España
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2016 - 06:41 PM UTC
Somebody knows how change the post name? I want change the name "Battle of Caen" for another

Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2016 - 07:23 PM UTC
Miguel,
Contact any of the staff members with your request.

Contact info on this page:

http://armorama.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=About_Us&file=index

Cheers,
Joe
MiguelBR
Visit this Community
Orense, Spain / España
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2016 - 07:51 PM UTC
OK
Thanks Joe
Grrdzilla
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 72 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2016 - 09:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Miguel, I hate to point this out to you but there were no American units involved in the battle for Caen. They were exclusively British and Canadian units.

I am very impressed by Miguel's response to criticism and even more impressed by the critical response on the forum: positive, supportive and helpful.
But this does highlight a long standing hobby horse of mine. The conflict between model building and history.
There is a lot of cool looking stuff used by some very terrible governments and people to promulgate and enforce: ethnic cleansing, nazism, facism, racism communism, all the evils of the world.
Yet, with a certain deafness, we continue to favour the forces of incredible evil as preferred modelling subjects.
As a matter of fact and until recently, modeller's have been grossly under served by manufacturers and left starving for Allied subjects. Something I never, ever understood.
The good guys won, didn't they? So where were the models?
Although improving. thanks primarily to Bronco and AFV Club, there is still such a limited supply of allied subjects.

This is the main reason I switched to good honest monsters for most of the last 30 years.
Soapbox mode off, with apologies.
Loved your dio Miguel, I would add one critique in that I found everything too shiny. Vallejo makes great satin and matte coats that hand brush perfectly.
Thanks for reading.
Gord
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 03:59 PM UTC

(Gord, I confess to occasionally feeling that unease you mention but I suggest you set up the soapbox on the AFV forum rather than here – although strap on some body-armour before you do, because if it’s an argument you’re after I’m sure you’ll find one there! And btw, I think Miguel will confirm that the reason his whole set is shiney is because it’s raining and everything including the figures are wet….)
Gracias Miguel, eres demasiado amable - su Ingles es mucho major que mi Espanol. I hardly ever use an airbrush either, I think they’re way over-rated unless you need to cover a large area in a uniform way. Soft brushes do not leave brush marks if the paint consistency is correct, and you can lay many thin washes to vary the surface colour with much more control.
I actually disagree about your opening shot – I didn’t think it was (Espanol – torpe?) at all – it was so unexpected my mouth just fell open after 3 seconds looking at the rain & hearing the sound effects, it seemed quite a smooth descent down to ground level. But maybe you could find some Scalextric car-track (or similar) to build into the curve or parabolla you want for a smooth tracking shot & slide the camera down it somehow? On level ground you could use (large-gauge model) railway track just like they do in the movies.
I hope they can change your title in this forum, what’s the plan for your next production? Here’s a still from a video clip I did yesterday if you need some inspiration!

Cheers, (my last name is Martin, first name Tim)
MiguelBR
Visit this Community
Orense, Spain / España
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 04:23 PM UTC
"I think Miguel will confirm that the reason his whole set is shiney is because it’s raining and everything including the figures are wet….)"

This is the real reason of shiny figures, tank, floor, roof, etc.

Thanks Tim for the tips to improve the video tracking.

I have in mind a diorama with russian tank crew and germans with motorcycle . I will check the figures, their poses and ... we will see; but in a few moths.

Thanks for try to say something in Spanish

Regards
 _GOTOTOP