_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Porsche King Tiger Track Question
mrm1944
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 52 posts
Armorama: 24 posts
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2016 - 12:50 AM UTC
Hi,

I have the Dragon Porsche King Tiger with Zimmerit (6302) and have recently acquired a set of Friulmodel ATL-22 tracks/sprocket wheels..

My question is, can I use these tracks on this kit as I know these represent the early Gg 24/800/300 track? I want to build a standard vehicle as seen in combat in '44 and not any of the first few prototype vehicles..I'm struggling to find any reference photos!

Sorry for the long ramble..

Thanks
Mark
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2016 - 05:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,

I have the Dragon Porsche King Tiger with Zimmerit (6302) and have recently acquired a set of Friulmodel ATL-22 tracks/sprocket wheels..

My question is, can I use these tracks on this kit as I know these represent the early Gg 24/800/300 track? I want to build a standard vehicle as seen in combat in '44 and not any of the first few prototype vehicles..I'm struggling to find any reference photos!

Sorry for the long ramble..

Thanks
Mark

Since I haven't memorized Friul stock numbers, I would say that if you want to depict any early turret ("Porsche") King Tiger assigned to a heavy tank battalion, it would have the double-link tracks, as seen on the production turret ("Henshel") King Tigers. One link with center guide teeth, alternating with a link without center guides, using the nine-tooth drive sprocket. Two companies of the Army 503rd Battalion eventually received these tanks in France, and some were later assigned to the Army 506th. The remainder of the "Porsche" tanks seem to have been issued randomly to new battalions as they were returned from training and evaluation units, and reworked at the factory.

The only tanks to see action with the early tracks with one wide link alternating with a narrow link and three little dog-bone connectors, were the five tanks that served with Panzer Lehr Division in Normandy. They were the first five tanks off the production line, and had very early features: 18-tooth drive sprocket, no armor ring around the turret base, engine deck snorkel mounted (also seen on the early Panther D), and initially, the Tiger I-style plate exhausts, later replaced by locally fabricated curved exhaust pipes, which were longer than the factory versions. These tanks had Zimmerit, but it was very fine in pattern, and hard to see in some pictures. Huge, hand-painted two-digit white numbers were painted on the turret sides.
mrm1944
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 52 posts
Armorama: 24 posts
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2016 - 12:16 PM UTC
Thanks Gerald,

That is exactly what I needed to know..

I'll save these early tracks for another project..

Kind Regards
Mark
 _GOTOTOP