_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
AFV Club M60A1 Question
Shalta
Visit this Community
Guangxi, China / 简体
KitMaker: 165 posts
Armorama: 160 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 08:18 AM UTC
Hi, this is my first attempt at posting on the forums, so if this is in a wrong section or some other issue with the post I missed, let me know and I'll remember it in next time I post.
Basically though, I'm wondering if anyone who has built an AFV Club M60A1 can say whether the turret 'clicks' to the hull, or if it's going to fall out if it's at an angle? As I have a habit of picking up my finished models to look at them after I have them painted and built, and I'm still nervous after my Ha-Go's turret that seems to fall off if you even acknowledge it.
And I'm also wondering if the vinyl tracks are glueable? I've yet to deal with the non-glueable ones yet, as I've only been modeling for the last year at most, and I'm a bit hesitant to try the 'melting' method.

Thanks for any help though, as I've had my eye on one at my LHS for the last couple months, but I've yet to see any build-logs about this kit, and I've been unable to find this info by myself.
Sorry for the nonsensical ranting after the questions, I assume the intent is understood, but it never hurts to say.
WXerock
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 668 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 08:35 AM UTC
Shalta, I have never seen this kit in person. That said, looking at photos of the sprues shows the bottom of the turret ring has three very small tabs around the base. There are no corresponding slots in the turret ring built into the top of the hull. This leads me to believe that the tabs snap into the top of the hull. I don't know how secure this arrangement will be. Again, this is a guess in my part. You can always ask at the LHS if they'll let you see it before you buy it. Most vinyl tracks are glueable these days. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Eric
Shalta
Visit this Community
Guangxi, China / 简体
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 08:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Shalta, I have never seen this kit in person. That said, looking at photos of the sprues shows the bottom of the turret ring has three very small tabs around the base. There are no corresponding slots in the turret ring built into the top of the hull. This leads me to believe that the tabs snap into the top of the hull. I don't know how secure this arrangement will be. Again, this is a guess in my part. You can always ask at the LHS if they'll let you see it before you buy it. Most vinyl tracks are glueable these days. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Eric

Thanks, I saw the tabs but no corresponding hull locators too, had to get someone else's opinion. But I'll have to attempt asking soon, it didnt actually occur to me to try... Not my brightest moment, lol.
And I just had to make sure on the tracks, as I've only built indi-link kits so far, well, and one with DS track, though I'm pretty sure that's not vinyl.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 01:12 PM UTC
Hi - have you checked out Darren's in-box review? Looking at it, the turret has three little click-tabs, so you press it into the hull and the tabs gently grip the underside of the hole. This is ok as long as you don't turn the tank completely over, or try to pick it up by grabbing the turret, but is less secure than the old tabs and slots of Tamiya kits.

The instructions don't say if the tracks respond to plastic cement, but from the drawing the pins are too short for heat-welding, so I guess they must be glue-able. If not, you could try superglue, or go "old school" and sew them together with black thread!

Have a look here for the contents and instructions.

Hope this helps!
TankSGT
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 946 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 03:09 PM UTC
if you search this forum some one did a build review when the kit fist came out.

tom
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 667 posts
Armorama: 639 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 04:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Regards,

Eric

if it's the tabs I think they are, they're not all that secure. got afv club/s M41 and it's turret has them, and not all that secure as one broke off leaving 2. slot/tabs are far better
mogdude
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 459 posts
Armorama: 195 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 04:59 PM UTC
Make your own turret locking tabs, I do if they are not very secure or missing just look at some older Tamiya kits easy to do and gives you that piece of mind your looking for
Shalta
Visit this Community
Guangxi, China / 简体
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 07:32 PM UTC
Thanks, that's the info I was looking for. Atleast it seems more durable than no support at all.
I'll probably have to try the suggestion of making my own tabs for it, as I've aquired quite a few spare parts that should be durable enough to cut up and use.
Other than that, I think I'm going to pick it up sometime soon, here's hoping it goes well!
As for the other responses; I did see the build-log after I made this post, it didnt come up in any search untill I simply looked through the forum. It didnt seem to have info on the turret, but it seemed to suggest the tracks are fine!
Thanks all though, I'm certainly looking forward to getting a start on that kit!
 _GOTOTOP