_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Merk IV details
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2016 - 02:32 PM UTC
On the Merkava IV, by the inboard hinge for the TC's hatch are two cylindrical racks(?), right next to the fire extinguisher. Any clues to what they are? Only pics I can find of the area are from a museum tank, and , of course, the frames are empty. Also, what color should the contents be?
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,300 posts
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2016 - 02:53 PM UTC
Do you have a picture of the actual area? I'm not quite sure what you mean, but could be the rack for attaching the TC's assault rifle: either a short barreled Galil ("Glilon") till the early 2000's, or a short barrelled M16 (ever since).
nakpadon
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 86 posts
Armorama: 75 posts
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2016 - 03:18 PM UTC
Hi,
They are smoke pots for signalling. They are usually painted green.

Paul.
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2016 - 03:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

On the Merkava IV, by the inboard hinge for the TC's hatch are two cylindrical racks(?), right next to the fire extinguisher. Any clues to what they are? Only pics I can find of the area are from a museum tank, and , of course, the frames are empty. Also, what color should the contents be?

Did you mean the rack in the bottom left corner of this picture?
http://data3.primeportal.net/tanks/jian_zhen_wei/merkava_iv/images/merkava_iv_46_of_57.jpg

Probably a better picture of the area in question...
http://data3.primeportal.net/tanks/jian_zhen_wei/merkava_iv/images/merkava_iv_38_of_57.jpg
Removed by original poster on 09/20/16 - 11:04:30 (GMT).
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 07:46 AM UTC
Hi, Israel. Yes. I thought they were round, but look more semi circular now. In the second pic they are straight back from the rear end of the MG rail. (TC's personal weapon rack is outboard of the TC's hatch, along the edge of the turret, no?) Paul, if they are the smoke pots, what shade of green (about)?
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 08:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

(TC's personal weapon rack is outboard of the TC's hatch, along the edge of the turret, no?) Paul, if they are the smoke pots, what shade of green (about)?

Indeed, l just wasn't sure about the exact area in question...
I think the smoke pots might be pale green, the same color like the fire extinguishers and the smoke grenades. Having said that, under field conditions we usually paint them over in the main color (at least the fire extinguishers...). Anyways, l don't think you can go wrong with either options. Since I've served on an older version of the Merkava (without smoke pots) do not take my advice for granted. Some Merk experts may have a different opinion after all...
 _GOTOTOP