Hosted by Darren Baker
HMMWV e-brake?
WXerock
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 668 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 05:21 AM UTC
I am sorry I posted this twice. On the first try I posted it to the wrong forum! Hello all HMMWV experts, I have a question about the following pictures. What is the item that looks like it is part of the left rear bake caliper. Is this part of a mechanical e-brake and is it on both sides of the vehicle? It follows the drive shaft and extends to the frame on the left side. I can't find photos that show it on the right side. The two photos show the assembly oriented differently, but there is nothing on the top photo showing any of the surrounding structure. I assumed it was reversed.

Regards,

Eric
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 07:29 AM UTC
Those are the parking brakes. Much better than the original driveshaft mounted brake on early hummers. The link below has picts of both driver and passenger side mount.

http://flashoffroad.com/flashoffroad/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=1695
WXerock
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 668 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 09:42 AM UTC
Alright Patrick, a further question. Would an M1043 during 2003 have had this setup? There is a driveshaft one mounted on the Tamiya kit which is my basis. Have you seen any drawings that show the routing of the cable?

Regards,

Eric
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 11:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Have you seen any drawings that show the routing of the cable?

F is the parking brake rod
E is the equalizer bar that evenly distributes braking pressure to the rear brake rotors.
D are the parking brake cables...

H.P.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 12:10 PM UTC
We fielded the first gen or A0 Hmmwv's with the e-brake on the drive shaft (stupid design that jammed with mud and rocks causing the brake to burn out and heat would melt the fuel cell) until our division deactivated in 91. We also had them in Korea. I got out in late 93 while the A2 varients started to come out in the mid to late 90's I believe. So it's more than likely any vehicle used in 04 would use this setup and the majority of the A0's would be gone from frontline service.
 _GOTOTOP