_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
White stripe turret markings
69mudbone
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 362 posts
Armorama: 285 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 09:54 PM UTC
Hey guys,

Looking for dates when the soviets started using the whites marking on their turrets, trying to get some ideas on possible late war diorama. Thanks
Shalta
Visit this Community
Guangxi, China / 简体
KitMaker: 165 posts
Armorama: 160 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 10:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey guys,

Looking for dates when the soviets started using the whites marking on their turrets, trying to get some ideas on possible late war diorama. Thanks

Those would be air recognition stripes.
I know in roughly April 1945, there was an order before the Soviet army was intended to 'meet up' with the Allied army that required the lead (Or leading?) tanks to have said stripes painted on.
Not sure if that helps, as I feel like it may have been used earlier too, but that's the closest I have to a documented time.
pgb3476
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 977 posts
Armorama: 976 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 10:44 PM UTC
Just prior to the operation to storm Berlin.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2016 - 09:42 PM UTC
What era?

Assuming WWII (and not cold war..heh) they started to use air recognition markings in the late winter/early spring of 1945 because they had achieved air supremacy and did not want their own aircraft bombing their tank assets. This took the form, initially, of traingles (IIRC). The Germans caught on fast and started to duplicate this on their vehicles, so the Soviets set up a rotating system of symbols based on operation, unit, or time. It was not uniformly adopted. I am sure that sometime in there stripes were used.

And as stated, as the ally armies were getting closer together there was concern for ally fratricide, so the "order" mentioned by Shalta was set up to make marking uniform and avoid confusion between allies. But the markings were in use well before April of '45.

avenue
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 544 posts
Armorama: 542 posts
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2016 - 09:47 PM UTC
what about other vehicle such as US supplied half track and scout car.do they applied white stripes?
69mudbone
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 362 posts
Armorama: 285 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 12:19 AM UTC
Hey Guys,

Thanks for feedback. I have an already build T-34/85, and a 8 verlinden figures that are in static poses, so my idea was to have looking "west" on the east side of the River Oder with title title " At last ..........". I think the makings were used closer to Berlinimage uploading site
deathdork
KitMaker: 314 posts
Armorama: 296 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 12:28 AM UTC
Please post pics of the final result great start!
 _GOTOTOP