_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M3A3 "Bradley" Turret Basket Stowage
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,300 posts
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2016 - 11:16 PM UTC
Does anyone have any pictures and/or info what would be stored here ?
Thanks in advance,
Israel
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 12:14 AM UTC
No pics of actual Bradley turret basket stowage, but anything can be stored there. It is basically a catch-all for whatever the crew wants to put there. Common items are sleeping bags, water jugs, MRE boxes, ammo cans, etc., etc., etc...

Here is an example in model form.

ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 12:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No pics of actual Bradley turret basket stowage, but anything can be stored there. It is basically a catch-all for whatever the crew wants to put there. Common items are sleeping bags, water jugs, MRE boxes, ammo cans, etc., etc., etc...

Cool ! A modeler's dream...
Removed by original poster on 09/25/16 - 16:49:13 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 09/25/16 - 16:50:09 (GMT).
exgrunt
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 301 posts
Armorama: 301 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 09:52 PM UTC
Just note, the pic above is a bit misleading. All the crap shown in back would have been secured, either with ratchet straps or rope. Otherwise, it would all be missing after a few miles of travel.

It's interesting how many modelers add all sorts of stowage to tanks and AFVs but never take the time to tie it down. Nothing was left unsecured on vehicles. If it didn't get bounced out of the basket or off the deck, tree limbs would do the rest.

elevenbravo87
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 63 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 10:36 PM UTC
Not a M3A3, but my M2A1 looked like a band of traveling gypsy's wtih all the stuff on it.

ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 10:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just note, the pic above is a bit misleading. All the crap shown in back would have been secured, either with ratchet straps or rope. Otherwise, it would all be missing after a few miles of travel.

Yeah, as a former tanker I double that... It seems bit strange though that there's no standard equipment stored there...

crushkill
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 06:41 AM UTC
As a Bradley guy for the last 10 years... The vehicle tarp, drip pans, fluids for the vehicle, MREs. Usually we kept everything else inside. Occasionally throw a case or two of water in the bustle rack (what we call the turret basket). Also rarely tied any of it down because the rack is so deep.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 07:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Yeah, as a former tanker I double that... It seems bit strange though that there's no standard equipment stored there...

According to the Armor Center load plans for M60 and M1 the bustle rack was usually reserved for tank tarp and crew storage. If the load plan on a Bradley has nothing there it's for crew storage, which is water, bags, coolers or anything the turret crew wants out and at hand.

By the way, there are some things you don't need to tie down just because a rack is deep or it's too heavy to move unless you flip the tank. And then it really doesn't matter any more. Road wheels and full track links could be left on a fender as it's just not going anywhere on its own. Then there's also the distance factor. If I am driving between ranges or just down the street I will be lazy and not secure everything. Long road march or into action, secure it. But then I could get obsessive with securing stuff. I was one of the few tank crewman I knew who had a frame on his Alice pack because it stayed secured to the bustle rack better.
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 12:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Road wheels and full track links could be left on a fender as it's just not going anywhere on its own.

I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean here...Could you please elaborate?
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 01:51 PM UTC
Some things are heavy enough that they are not going anywhere unless you plan on flipping the tank. Ever try lifting a full t-142 track link? Someone gave my brother one as a gag birthday present. Over 80 pounds it wasn't going anywhere.
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 02:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ever try lifting a full t-142 track link?

As a former IDF tanker I wouldn't know what that is, but I kinda have the idea of working with tanks. I've asked you to elaborate on this: "Road wheels and full track links could be left on a fender"

Well, as far as I'm concerned, nothing can be just "left on the fender" (assuming I have the right idea of what a "fender" is. Since English isn't my first language, I'm not entirely sure...) unless it is secured somehow (including track links, no matter how heavy they are); that wouldn't be safe, would it? (Plus you're risking loosing them...) As for the turret basket (or any other deep storage), that's a different story. We used to keep a roadwheel in our Merkava's that wasn't needed to be secured. All we had to do is just to put some other (preferably heavy) stuff next to it, so it wouldn't shift.
Removed by original poster on 10/14/16 - 10:00:03 (GMT).
 _GOTOTOP