_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Vietnam
For Vietnam diorama subjects or techniques.
Hosted by Darren Baker
"Breakfast in the Boonies." Vietnam July 1967
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 726 posts
Armorama: 687 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 03:15 AM UTC
Hello All,

This diorama depicts the crew of track C14 having a c-ration breakfast and engaging in other morning activities. My friend Bill Rambow was the gunner, and later the driver, of C14 which was a track that had a 106mm Recoilless Rifle mounted on the right side of the gas-powered M113 belonging to C Company, 2d Battalion, 47th Infantry (Mechanized), 9th Infantry Division. This diorama features the entire crew and C14 as the vehicle appeared in July 1967.

This diorama took a little over a year to build. Originally, when I started to build the M113, it was going to be the commander's track which Bill eventually was the gunner and later the driver of as well, but that was towards the end of his tour in Vietnam. As I was building the M113 and was converting figures while developing the layout of the diorama, I decided to change from the commander's track to C14. Bill had sent me some pictures of the crew and it was decided to depict them as they were in July of 1967.

In regards to the M113 model, I used the Academy ACAV model and backdated it to a gas-powered M113 by changing the gas tank and making the headlight guards out of wire. I wired the interior, put in the radios, added stowage, and changed out the normal troop seats with boxes made of wood. C Company made it SOP for all of their tracks to have their troop seats replaced with boxes that helped organize the load of ammo, pyro, and explosives for each track. Bill actually made these boxes for this project just as he had made the real boxes back in 1967. I loaded these up according to the load plan and when I made the seat covers, I made them so they were folded back exposing the ammo cans, grenade shipping containers, radio accessory bags, and claymore mines stored in the box seats. On the floor against the engine access panel are three rows of 106mm rounds topped with c-ration, beer, and soda cases. On the right side of the interior is a scratch built 90mm recoilless rifle hanging from the wall, laundry bags, butt packs, and other gear. There is a cooler on top of the battery box. On the floor is a lightweight rucksack with frame. Taped to the gas tank are two centerfolds, one being the Playmate of the month for July 1967.

On the top of the track you will see the 106mm recoilless rifle, gun tub for the .50 cal machine gun (it does not have the front shield because this interfered with the operation of the 106mm RR, slave cables, shield for an M60, ammo boxes, and Bill's personal items inside the gun tub. On the gun tub is the name of his girlfriend at the time, Lee Anne. On top of the drivers hatch, the Soldier on guard is preparing to eat a c-ration breakfast. There are the individual meal box, the accessory packet which is open showing the pack of 3 or 4 cigarettes, a regular size pack of Marlboros, and the July 1967 issue of Playboy. Flak vests a stewn about the deck. The aerial recognition number 14 is on the troop hatch. On the side of the hull is the driver's (Bud Tucker) wife's name, Patsy. The star has been covered with some mud to keep it from being used as an aiming point. On the trim vane is a poorly rendered Panther (2/47th Infantry "Panthers") but that is what it looked like. The crews' pioneer tools are placed through the tail light guards for easy access. In place of the shovel on the front, the crew had placed the tripod for the .50.

On the ground, from left to right are Marvin Cato playing with a yo-yo to break the monotony, Reddick looking at him while smoking a cigarette, SGT Hester (the squad leader) talking to the Soldier on guard, Doc Payne eating c-rats and talking to Bud Tucker who is sitting beside him, Bill Rambow smoking a cigarette while waiting for his coffee to be ready who is also watching Billy Washam feed a dog a c-rat pork slice. On the back ramp of the track is the platoon sergeant, SFC Richardson, preparing to put some Grape Kool Aide into his canteen when he gets distracted by Washam feeding the dog, and on the top deck is a Soldier who was a transferred to the unit whose name is not recalled. On the ground in terms of accessories are several sets of web gear, flak vests, weapons, boxes of ammo, grenades, and explosives, medic bags belonging to Doc Payne, and ammo cans that had been brought on the overnight ambush patrol that Washam, Reddick, and Doc Payne had just returned from. Washam's M60 is in a state of partial disassembly for cleaning. A case of c-rations is opened and individual meal boxes had been passed out. Some of the cans are out, and one can is being heated on a stove made from an old c-rat can with holes poked into it. The canteen cup of coffee that Bill is heating up is on one of these stoves as well.

For the groundwork, I used DAS clay putty that I got at Hobby Lobby because I had recently seen it used in a diorama book I had recently purchased. I really did not like using it. It did not cling to itself, so the pieces had to be glued together for them to mesh. The good thing was that I could place the figures and the model to get their imprint, and then remove them so I could paint the ground and add the vegetation. There was some change to the material that occurred while it dried which caused the M113 to not sit quite like I had wanted it to as well as some of the figures requiring the pins in their feet to be cut smaller to get the figure's feet to be deeper in the foot prints. Since the monsoon season was going on during July, this diorama depicts a day when there was a break in the rain and the ground dried up a little bit. There is still some muddy areas. In reality, soon all of it would be muddy again as the rains returned shortly after breakfast. The grass and sparse vegetation was common in the area where the company laager site was located, probably due to the herbicides that were sprayed in the area at an earlier time.

I took the photos at the barracks, so there are some distractions in the background. Perhaps I can get some better pictures later when I bring this diorama home. I had entered it in the Austin Model Show on the 24th of September and it won 1st Place in the Armor Diorama category as well as Best Diorama.

ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 03:27 AM UTC
Here are some more photos.

jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 03:28 AM UTC
Let me be the first to call this spectacular !! You know as an old grunt I love stuff like this,specially when you can actually depict the real dudes. Having lived on 113s for the first 10 years in the Army this all brings back memories for me,albeit a bit later than this. I never had a gas powered track,that's for sure. Given that those composite metal hulls would actually burn I suppose gasoline was not wise for a power system ?
All the touches of home are in this little gem. Great job Sir ! I wish I hadn't thrown away my Plt Sgt notebook I kept on all my guys' stats. I hardly remember any names at this point. Heheheh,grape coolaid. Ya know what they say about guys that drink grape coolaid doncha'?
This is great work and a nice tribute.
J
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 03:39 AM UTC
And a few more...

I hope you enjoyed looking at this diorama. If you have any questions, I will try to answer them the best I can. Thanks for looking.

Cheers,
James
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 03:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Let me be the first to call this spectacular !! You know as an old grunt I love stuff like this,specially when you can actually depict the real dudes. Having lived on 113s for the first 10 years in the Army this all brings back memories for me,albeit a bit later than this. I never had a gas powered track,that's for sure. Given that those composite metal hulls would actually burn I suppose gasoline was not wise for a power system ?
All the touches of home are in this little gem. Great job Sir ! I wish I hadn't thrown away my Plt Sgt notebook I kept on all my guys' stats. I hardly remember any names at this point. Heheheh,grape coolaid. Ya know what they say about guys that drink grape coolaid doncha'?
This is great work and a nice tribute.
J

Thanks, Jerry. It means alot coming from you. I tried to put as much of the "touches of home" into this project as possible. It helped that Bill provided some great information and advice. I know what you mean about hardly being able to remember some of the names. I remember the faces and things about all of the Marines and Soldiers I have led and served with, but some of the names escape me no matter how hard I try to remember. The multiple head injuries and getting older probably has a lot to do with it

Cheers,
James
binglee
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 05:04 AM UTC
Looks great! A really nice moment in time.
Where are the various figures from? They capture things well.
Thanks
Bill Inglee
Greenmachine
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 129 posts
Armorama: 122 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 05:21 AM UTC
No other words than awesome! Even the weathering on the uniforms is realistic.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 07:21 AM UTC
James-- this work of art should going into a museum! It is jaw dropping accurate, the red mud (which was everywhere and on everything) is awesome. What a marvelous, incredibly detailed diorama...when the building is finished (we just did the ground breaking) see if the Army Museum at Fort Belvoir will display it
A tremendously well done piece
Thanks for sharing
DJ
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 07:58 AM UTC
A very well executed and compact scene that tells a great story. Exceptional!
namengr
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 332 posts
Armorama: 328 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 08:36 PM UTC
James, so glad to see this on here. I've been following as best I could from your emails, but my old pc is so slow I couldn't always get everything down loaded. This is a great piece, made even better by the real life story that inspired it. I know that they will be proud of your effort and dedication to getting everything just right. Again Bravo and also good luck on your pending retirement. Wayne
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 08:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

And a few more...

I hope you enjoyed looking at this diorama. If you have any questions, I will try to answer them the best I can. Thanks for looking.

Cheers,
James

I REALLY LIKE the whole thing- You got the idea across, right down to the guy playing with his Blue "Yo-Yo"!
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 10:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks great! A really nice moment in time.
Where are the various figures from? They capture things well.
Thanks
Bill Inglee

Thanks, Bill.

The figures are conversions of Bravo 6 figures. Starting from the left, the guy playing with the yo-yo is a conversion of the figure wiping his brow and holding a canteen from the "Take Five," kit. I sculpted the jungle fatigue shirt onto him (note the outline of a pack a cigarettes in the lower right shirt pocket). The figure of Reddick who is standing watching Cato is a conversion of the LT from the set with the RTO and LT from the movie Platoon. I removed all of his gear and used Magic Sculpt to fill in where the equipment was located and the shirt pockets. SGT Hester is a conversion of the other figure from the "Take Five" kit. Doc Payne is a conversion of one of the figures from "Ham and Limas Again!" kit. Bud Tucker and Bill Rambow are conversions of the figures from the "Taking Care of my Baby" kit of the guys cleaning weapons. Billy Washam is a conversion of the "Black Echo" Tunnel Rat figure as is the guy on the top of the track (put the flak vest torso from the Field Briefing kit on the Black Echo legs). And finally, the platoon sergeant is a conversion of the officer from the Field Briefing kit.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
James
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 10:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

No other words than awesome! Even the weathering on the uniforms is realistic.

Thanks. I am glad you like it. The weathering was done with MIG pigments.

Cheers,
James
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 10:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

James-- this work of art should going into a museum! It is jaw dropping accurate, the red mud (which was everywhere and on everything) is awesome. What a marvelous, incredibly detailed diorama...when the building is finished (we just did the ground breaking) see if the Army Museum at Fort Belvoir will display it
A tremendously well done piece
Thanks for sharing
DJ

Thanks, DJ.

It actually will be going to either the small museum area at 2d BN 47th IN at Fort Benning or to the Vietnam Museum in Mineral Wells, TX after it has gone through the show circuit. However, I am pleased that you think it should be in a museum and appreciate the offer of it being displayed at Fort Belvoir. At the ADA Museum, we should be breaking ground for our new Learning Center soon, and I know how long construction may take, so you never know what the future might hold in terms of this or other dioramas.

Cheers,
James
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 10:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

James, so glad to see this on here. I've been following as best I could from your emails, but my old pc is so slow I couldn't always get everything down loaded. This is a great piece, made even better by the real life story that inspired it. I know that they will be proud of your effort and dedication to getting everything just right. Again Bravo and also good luck on your pending retirement. Wayne

Hey Wayne!

At the WTU Barracks, I have a hard time with even opening emails, so I am glad you are able to see the pictures here on Armorama. I am glad you like it. I have definitely put my heart and soul into it to make it a fitting tribute to Bill's crew as well to the unit itself. Thanks for the well-wishes concerning my upcoming retirement.

Take care and keep me posted on your project. With the Joefix Lambretta and the other elements you are planning to put into it, I know it will be a pleasant memory type of diorama. I told my Dad about it and he is looking forward to seeing it.

Cheers,
James
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 10:45 PM UTC
Dennis and dvsand,

I am glad you like the diorama and thanks for the positive comments.

Take care and have a great day.
Cheers,
James
binglee
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 11:43 PM UTC
Outstanding. Thanks for the information.
Cheers
Bill Inglee
Mark
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 554 posts
Armorama: 461 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 01:42 PM UTC
Hi James,

Like I said, I like this a lot! I love what you do to (the already brilliant) Bravo*6 figures! and I love the weathering, all the details, the set-up, the story etc.

Good luck in the future with great family-, friends- and modeling time!

best regards,
Mark
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Armorama: 1,850 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 02:36 PM UTC
Hi James, my friend.
This is another hundred times to look diorama from you. I already know all steps of this dio but it is a great pleasure to see final photos. Great job on M113, very nice conversions on figures which you can name them as real persons and unbelievable details.
Congrats my friend. I really wonder how miracle dios you will build when retired
keep safe
Engin
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 07:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi James,

Like I said, I like this a lot! I love what you do to (the already brilliant) Bravo*6 figures! and I love the weathering, all the details, the set-up, the story etc.

Good luck in the future with great family-, friends- and modeling time!

best regards,
Mark

Hello Mark,

Thanks. I am glad that you like this diorama. Some of it would not have been possible without the soda, beer, and c-ration cases from MecModels. I am glad that you produce such items.

Also thanks for the well-wishes about my retirement. Hopefully I will have more time to work on models, figures, and dioramas.

Cheers,
James
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 07:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi James, my friend.
This is another hundred times to look diorama from you. I already know all steps of this dio but it is a great pleasure to see final photos. Great job on M113, very nice conversions on figures which you can name them as real persons and unbelievable details.
Congrats my friend. I really wonder how miracle dios you will build when retired
keep safe
Engin

Hello Engin, my Friend.

I am glad you like the diorama and can finally see it completed. Thanks for your input throughout this project and for a few of the items that are in the diorama. Hopefully I will have more time to concentrate on modeling when I retire so I can create more scenes encompassing the entire Vietnam experience.

Cheers,
James
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 07:54 PM UTC
In my haste to post the photos of this diorama and explain some of the story behind it, I failed to discuss the modeling aspects of the project.

The figures are conversions of Bravo 6 figures. Vladimir Demchenko has done an outstanding job sculpting the figures for Bravo 6. It makes the conversions easy to do because the quality of the base figure is so high. Our discussions about figures and painting techniques have helped me become a better figure modeler.

The paper products in this diorama came from four sources: MecModels, Archer Fine Details, Engin Kayral, and Duplicata. The soda, beer, and c-ration cases and a couple other things were from MecModels. A couple magazine covers were from Archer Fine Details, the comic books were from Engin, and the cigarette packs and the car magazines were from Duplicata which is a company I found on EBay. Oh yeah, Bill Rambow provided a scaled down version of one of the pictures of Lee Anne that he had taped to the inside of the gun tub.

The accessories such as field gear, radios, ammo cans, etc come from several sources which are Bravo 6, MasterBox, Armand Bayardi, Verlinden, and some scratch built items. The M16s and XM177 are from Trumpeter.

For the M113, it is based on the Academy M113A1 ACAV kit which has been backdated to be a gas-powered M113 by making the headlight guards out of wire and changing out the gas tank. I used copper wire to put in the wiring and some photo etched parts for other elements of the interior. I used sheet styrene and rod to make the shelf the radios are on. I used a coated copper wire for cords to the handset, speaker box, and CVC helmet. I used parts from the newer Legend M113 detail kit and the Eduard photo etched kits for various parts of the vehicle. Fruilmodel tracks were used for the tracks. The boxes that replaced the troop seats were made by Bill Rambow.

For painting, I used Reaper, Vallejo, and Andrea acrylic paints for the figures. Since I had already done the interior and wasn't sure how to spray paint the exterior without the risk of getting some overspray into the interior, I hand brushed the entire exterior flat black, then Vallejo US Olive Drab, and then Reaper Black Green to get the dark OD color that vehicles of that time period were painted. I then sprayed some dullcote onto it and placed the dry transfers for markings. I hit it with another coat and did a couple oil filters/washes. Once those were dry, I used MIG pigments for final weathering.

Well, that is what I did.

Take care and have a great day.
James
obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 09:27 PM UTC
Exceptionally well done!! From the guy with the yo-yo to the stray mutt & everything in between is beautifully realistic. Every time you scan thru the photos, you can find another detail you missed the first time. Having your personal recollections from "the guys who lived it" as a background just adds to the whole scenario. Great work, and thanks for sharing!!
maxim37
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 157 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 11:03 PM UTC
Excellent job James!!.I like what you created very much indeed.Lots of things that draw the viewers eyes to.Very impressive work and worthy of awards.Must do some vietnam stuff myself!!!.
Very inspiring.
Great job that man!!!!.
Richard.
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Monday, October 03, 2016 - 02:31 AM UTC
Totally outstanding .Haven't had the time to go trough all the text,but will go back later,

Tom
 _GOTOTOP