_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Decanted Tamiya primer questions
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 05:28 AM UTC
Hi everyone,
After just about blasting pieces off my model, I've come to the conclusion that my red Tamiya primer would be more useful (and safer to the model) decanted.

Decanting seems like it would be messy with lots of stuff flying everywhere. Is there some technique where I can spray it into a small resealable container without it misting an entire room?

If I need to thin it later, what thinners will work well. I hate buying brand-specific stuff for big money when I can buy hardware store stuff that is the same.

Does it last very long decanted? Is there a point of saving the excess when I'm done priming?

Thank you for your consideration,

Gaz
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 05:49 AM UTC
i never try,i think laquer thinner can work but i see a friend use one of that little container the take-away use to put the souces,make a hole on the lid and spray in there...
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 06:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi everyone,
After just about blasting pieces off my model, I've come to the conclusion that my red Tamiya primer would be more useful (and safer to the model) decanted.

Decanting seems like it would be messy with lots of stuff flying everywhere. Is there some technique where I can spray it into a small resealable container without it misting an entire room?

If I need to thin it later, what thinners will work well. I hate buying brand-specific stuff for big money when I can buy hardware store stuff that is the same.

Does it last very long decanted? Is there a point of saving the excess when I'm done priming?

Thank you for your consideration,

Gaz

See if this helps

http://www.finescale.com/videos/how-to-videos/2012/02/decanting-spraypaint
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 06:45 AM UTC
Anthony,
That helped a lot!