_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
Soviet glider tank
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 12:29 AM UTC
While looking for images of the US T34 experimental heavy tank I happened to find this one:

Found on this web-site:
http://neosurrealism.artdigitaldesign.com/modern-artists/?artworks/fine-art/russian-t-34-glider-tank.html&fullsize

/ Robin
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 05:55 AM UTC
Very interesting. Not sure what it was other than a cartoon, but amusing non the less.
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 10:54 PM UTC
I am absolutey certain that this has only existed in a cartoonists mind. But who knows, if one of the model companies gets hold of this cartoon then maybe it will turn up in styrene as well. There is plenty of models of paper panzers so why not a soviet бумажный танк (Google translate, bumazhnyy tank)
/ Robin
Shalta
Visit this Community
Guangxi, China / 简体
KitMaker: 165 posts
Armorama: 160 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 11:15 PM UTC
I'm pretty sure this is just a cartoon-idea.
Reminds me alot of Object 416 though, which was essentially a flattened rear-turret T-54.
simonking
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 124 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 11:25 PM UTC
Try googling Antonov A-40...........
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 01:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Try googling Antonov A-40...........

or Baynes Bat

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baynes_Bat

/ Robin
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 03:06 AM UTC
After the work on the Antonov A-40 and similar ideas, the Soviets went into the parachute deployment for dropping tanks resulting the the BMD line, which, to be honest, is a pretty good compromise of all things to fulfill the mission.

But it developed into parachute deployment because all the other methods were poor, or fatal.

Even the US LAPES system is very dicey.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 03:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

While looking for images of the US T34 experimental heavy tank I happened to find this one:

Found on this web-site:
http://neosurrealism.artdigitaldesign.com/modern-artists/?artworks/fine-art/russian-t-34-glider-tank.html&fullsize

/ Robin

OOOOOH!!! I NEED one of these!!!

I wonder if this is a Soviet "partial-copy" of the German WWII "Paper-Panzer", Pz.Kpfw.XIII Ausf.Y/Z "Unterseeluftsballon" (trop.) Sd.Kfz.6007/etwasvonwolkenkukuksraum..?

I'm sure that "GROEFAZ" would have approved...
srmalloy
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 336 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2016 - 11:01 PM UTC
Reminds me of the drawing of the racing tank... which I found on the artist's page, which also has your image along with the original caption:

5. Russian T-34 Glider Tank (1953). An experimental tank designed to be driven out the rear of high-f1ying cargo planes, dive straight down, and pull out at the last second to land safely. It was an unfortunate failure for the drivers, but the two hundred-foot holes made by the T-34s turned out to be perfect for installing underground intercontinental missile silos.
TankManNick
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 551 posts
Armorama: 543 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 01:26 AM UTC
I see a bunch of people* waving their last goodbyes as the steel monster exits the plane and heads straight down! No way that thing is flying unless it's made of paper!

*Not sure they are all human - what is that creature on the right?
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 04:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Reminds me of the drawing of the racing tank... which I found on the artist's page, which also has your image along with the original caption:

5. Russian T-34 Glider Tank (1953). An experimental tank designed to be driven out the rear of high-f1ying cargo planes, dive straight down, and pull out at the last second to land safely. It was an unfortunate failure for the drivers, but the two hundred-foot holes made by the T-34s turned out to be perfect for installing underground intercontinental missile silos.

OOOOOH!!! I NEED the RACING TANK, AND A CYCLOPS for my shopping errands!!!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 04:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I see a bunch of people* waving their last goodbyes as the steel monster exits the plane and heads straight down! No way that thing is flying unless it's made of paper!

*Not sure they are all human - what is that creature on the right?

The Germans had "Paper" Tanks, mounted on bicycles and small motor-cars that they used for "training", during the 1920s and 1930s- Eventually, these morphed into the "Paper-Panzers" that the "Panzer-Heads" go into paroxysms of ecstasy over, today!
 _GOTOTOP