_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
defender wolf WMIK
clarkent
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 21 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 03:56 AM UTC
Hi there. I am starting to build the Hobby Boss kit of Land Rover Defender Wolf WMIK with addition of Black Dog and Eduard upgrades and I already got some reference pictures and saw few very cool builds from other modelers. However, I am still strugeling by lack of some details information, so I thought I will ask you guys for some help.
So, first of all, I am wondering what color to use for the vehicle, so far I mixed 1:2 Tamiya 59 & 60 and I am prety happy with the result but after checking some pictures online I am confused, the color on pictures varies from really yellowish to almost-US-tan-sandy-brownish.
Second concern I have is the way how the aditional bullet proof "doors" are attached to the vehicle, didnt found any pictures showing the actual attachement, or hinches.
Third concern I have is the radio set versus the antenas... I saw many diferent variations of antenas used, however no pictures of radio sets found.
Fourth concern I have is what is the "radiator" look alike think on the side of the vehicle (see picture).

Thank you million times in advance for any help or advise.
clarkent
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 03:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi there. I am starting to build the Hobby Boss kit of Land Rover Defender Wolf WMIK with addition of Black Dog and Eduard upgrades and I already got some reference pictures and saw few very cool builds from other modelers. However, I am still strugeling by lack of some details information, so I thought I will ask you guys for some help.
So, first of all, I am wondering what color to use for the vehicle, so far I mixed 1:2 Tamiya 59 & 60 and I am prety happy with the result but after checking some pictures online I am confused, the color on pictures varies from really yellowish to almost-US-tan-sandy-brownish.
Second concern I have is the way how the aditional bullet proof "doors" are attached to the vehicle, didnt found any pictures showing the actual attachement, or hinches.
Third concern I have is the radio set versus the antenas... I saw many diferent variations of antenas used, however no pictures of radio sets found.
Fourth concern I have is what is the "radiator" look alike think on the side of the vehicle (see picture).

Thank you million times in advance for any help or advise.

terminators
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 1,932 posts
Armorama: 1,907 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 09:53 AM UTC
AK interactive 726 or Ammo MIG 030
barny
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 273 posts
Armorama: 272 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 12:22 PM UTC
Hello mate no picture?. It really depends on what type of WMIK you are going to build.there are several variants .initially using clansman radios then the later using the bowman system
The ballistic screens for the doors are literally just tied on and opening the opposite way to the normal doors
I can only assume that the radiator thing you mention is the wolf air intake attached to both sides of the vehicle .
If you need more info pictures etc give me a shout .
Terry.
JohnTapsell
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 227 posts
Armorama: 226 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 05:20 PM UTC
There were three basic variants of the WMIK (ignoring the massively upgraded R+ WMIK with a wider rear body)

WMIK (Early - steel hub tyres)
E WMIK (Mid - mostly steel hub but some fitted with 'alloys')
R WMIK (Late - 'alloys' but also major changes tot he cargo bed and armour package)

The variant you want to build will determine what features you should be adding. The Black Dog set is a 'mongrel' because it doesn't fully represent any of the above - it's a mix of elements from each.

Most of the later vehicles have the Bowman radio system and you won't get much reference material on what the units look like (from memory, the BD set includes the Bowman aerial mounts - the Legend set certainly does).

'Door hinges' - Velcro tape
'Radiator thingy' - without seeing a picture I'm not sure what you mean but it sounds like it might be an IFF panel - commonly fitted to Coalition vehicles in Iraq. They are removable and come in a range of sizes (they show up in thermal sights because they are a different ambient temperature to the vehicle).

If you're intending to build the kit with minimal structural changes then probably an E-WMIK is your best bet - allows you to fit the supplemental armour panels and the alloy wheels but doesn't require the cargo bed changes.

The links below are to an R-WMIK project I did a few years ago and shows how much needs to be done to the basic body to produce this variant. However it also shows where a lot of the other 'bits' go on a typical WMIK.

WMIKs are great fun to build with all the extra bits and bobs so enjoy your project,

Regards,
John

http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/thread/1322428011
http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/thread/1324228549
http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/thread/1326579600
http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/thread/1328357467

Bricksy1969
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 262 posts
Armorama: 251 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 05:44 PM UTC
Superb stuff - question how on earth did you get the glow stick in the bottle??
WarWheels
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,816 posts
Armorama: 1,402 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 07:49 PM UTC
Great Explanation on the WMIK variants John.

Hopefully VERY soon I'll be posting a WMIK vehicle index on WarWheels. So, I might be asking you for some clarifications; if you'd be welcome to them of course.
WXerock
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 668 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 10:59 PM UTC
Paul, I am going to guess how John did the glow stick. The bottle still looks like solid plastic. I looked very close at the photos. It looks like he drilled a hole through the cap end of the bottle and either painted the hole or put in a piece of painted plastic rod and then sealed it from the bottom and painted the cap. Brilliant if that's how he did it. I never would have come up with that on my own.

Regards,

Eric
JohnTapsell
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 227 posts
Armorama: 226 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 01:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Paul, I am going to guess how John did the glow stick. The bottle still looks like solid plastic. I looked very close at the photos. It looks like he drilled a hole through the cap end of the bottle and either painted the hole or put in a piece of painted plastic rod and then sealed it from the bottom and painted the cap. Brilliant if that's how he did it. I never would have come up with that on my own.

Regards,

Eric

A prize for that man

Yes - I drilled a hole through the 'cap' and filled it with paint. Then I painted the cap a different colour.

The bottle itself was cut down from the 2 litre style you get in some of the old Academy kits to make it look more like the chunky 750ml/1 litre versions that tend to be used for the glow sticks.

Regards,
John
clarkent
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 03:47 AM UTC
sorry guys, here is the picture, for some reason it didnt uploaded it [img]https://gallery.kitmaker.net/data/500/thumbs/8d0543ad1f83.jpg" BORDER="0">/image.file[/img]
clarkent
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 03:53 AM UTC
wow, thank you man sooo much for your help.
I ordered also eduards PE set and ET model upgrade set (mainly because of the weapons parts).
As you sugested I will go the easy way, dont feel to do much surgery on the kit
Is it possible/ok to have no radio set on the vehicle as I found it bit difficult to deal with the radio issue?
I have some reference pictures but its bit confusing to identify which version is captured, practically each and every piece is bit different and its starting to drive me bit crazy as I thought on beggining it will be an easy ride
clarkent
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 05:39 AM UTC
Thank you Terry, any pictures will be greatly appricited.
You can post those here or send to [email protected]

Thank you

Quoted Text

Hello mate no picture?. It really depends on what type of WMIK you are going to build.there are several variants .initially using clansman radios then the later using the bowman system
The ballistic screens for the doors are literally just tied on and opening the opposite way to the normal doors
I can only assume that the radiator thing you mention is the wolf air intake attached to both sides of the vehicle .
If you need more info pictures etc give me a shout .
Terry.

clarkent
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 05:43 AM UTC
Thank you John.
Let me say that I admire your build greatly and honestly it was an inspiration for me.
the E version indeed seems to be the best fit for me.
Ill make some research.
In case it wont bother you, I will greatly appriciate any picture reference of this version.
Thank you very much in advance.

Quoted Text

There were three basic variants of the WMIK (ignoring the massively upgraded R+ WMIK with a wider rear body)

WMIK (Early - steel hub tyres)
E WMIK (Mid - mostly steel hub but some fitted with 'alloys')
R WMIK (Late - 'alloys' but also major changes tot he cargo bed and armour package)

The variant you want to build will determine what features you should be adding. The Black Dog set is a 'mongrel' because it doesn't fully represent any of the above - it's a mix of elements from each.

Most of the later vehicles have the Bowman radio system and you won't get much reference material on what the units look like (from memory, the BD set includes the Bowman aerial mounts - the Legend set certainly does).

'Door hinges' - Velcro tape
'Radiator thingy' - without seeing a picture I'm not sure what you mean but it sounds like it might be an IFF panel - commonly fitted to Coalition vehicles in Iraq. They are removable and come in a range of sizes (they show up in thermal sights because they are a different ambient temperature to the vehicle).

If you're intending to build the kit with minimal structural changes then probably an E-WMIK is your best bet - allows you to fit the supplemental armour panels and the alloy wheels but doesn't require the cargo bed changes.

The links below are to an R-WMIK project I did a few years ago and shows how much needs to be done to the basic body to produce this variant. However it also shows where a lot of the other 'bits' go on a typical WMIK.

WMIKs are great fun to build with all the extra bits and bobs so enjoy your project,

Regards,
John

http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/thread/1322428011
http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/thread/1324228549
http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/thread/1326579600
http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/thread/1328357467

Bricksy1969
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 262 posts
Armorama: 251 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 02:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Regards,

Eric

A prize for that man

Yes - I drilled a hole through the 'cap' and filled it with paint. Then I painted the cap a different colour.

The bottle itself was cut down from the 2 litre style you get in some of the old Academy kits to make it look more like the chunky 750ml/1 litre versions that tend to be used for the glow sticks.

Regards,
John

Thanks very much guys.
clarkent
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 02:57 AM UTC
Guys, thank you so much for all help. It is greatly appriciated.
At the end I decided to just leave the radio and anthena as I was struggling to find the right combination and I found few pictures of vehicles with no anthena/radio at all.
I finished the build and painting and there is only light weathering left to do and to add SA 80 I ordered from Live Resin.
Please feel free to be critical. Thank you.
clarkent
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 03:09 AM UTC
http://davidmodeler.weebly.com/
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Armorama: 2,807 posts