_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
do vallejo acrylic airbrush colors need to be
bairdlander
KitMaker: 53 posts
Armorama: 51 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 07:24 PM UTC
do vallejo acrylic airbrush colors need to be thinned?Can they be thinned with Tamiya thinner?
PRH001
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 681 posts
Armorama: 603 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 08:11 PM UTC
It really depends on the color and the tip size and the pressure you typically spray with. Some people spray unthinned but I never do. Use the Vallejo 71.161 thinner to thin the paint. Tamiya's thinner will chase it to congeal into a goopy mess as will isopropyl alcohol.

PH
Anmoga
Visit this Community
Spain / España
KitMaker: 456 posts
Armorama: 333 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 08:19 PM UTC
Hi bairdlander,

Theorically you do not need to thin Vallejo Air.

I wouldn't use Tamiya thinner because people who did said they ended up with a gooo.

You better use distilled water or their own thinner.

Best regards,
Angel
gaborka
Visit this Community
Borsod-Abauj-Zemblen, Hungary
KitMaker: 626 posts
Armorama: 250 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 10:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

do vallejo acrylic airbrush colors need to be thinned?Can they be thinned with Tamiya thinner?

It is not essential but I prefer to add 1-2 drops of Vallejo Airbrush Thinner to Vallejo Air, as it seems to improve both flow and adhesion. You can also use the white Vallejo Thinner but the dedicated Airbrush Thinner is better. AK thinner also works beautifully with Vallejo Air.

Tamiya thinner is however not suitable (as other alcohol-based thinners neither).

AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 1,095 posts
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2016 - 10:02 PM UTC
Model Master Acrylic thinner works as well. I've used it with Vallejo Model Color Model Air Lifecolor and of course Model Master Acryl.

I also have some Vallejo retarder as it is extremely dry where I live. One drop and all is well.

G
Barrikadyzavod
Visit this Community
Barcelona, Spain / España
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 21 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 07:02 PM UTC
Dear Sir
Normally, Model Air range colors don't have any problem with direct use on airbrush, in fact ,it was designed for this purpose...Some modelers love to thin down a bit if they works with a very small needle tip or at low pressure, with a very close distance from model, with a ratio of three parts of paint for one paint of Vallejo Airbrush Thinner. Increasing this ratio, using alcohol based thinners or solvents, can ruin the paint response over the model or change the dry process.

Maybe this info will be useful for you too:
https://www.facebook.com/vallejocolors/videos/1570330492996007/
https://www.facebook.com/vallejocolors/videos/1476695585692832/

Best regards
wedgetail53
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 658 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2017 - 04:25 AM UTC
G'day Bairdlander

I have just finished the interior of a King Tiger, and used Vallejo Air exclusively. It needs to be sprayed at a higher pressure (around 2 bar), but does not need thinning.

It does, however, have a nasty habit of drying on the tip of the needle, which soon shuts down your airbrushing session. For that reason, add some Vallejo Flow Enhancer.

As for cleaning, the best cleaner I have found lately, which works equally well with Vallejo and Tamiya, is Iwata Medea.

Regards

Rob
TotemWolf
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 294 posts
Armorama: 196 posts
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2017 - 05:31 AM UTC
Do not thin it. Use their Airbrush Flow Improver and you won't have the problem with it clogging either just like Rob said.

I use it that way for both planes and armor. It works great.
 _GOTOTOP