_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
Takom's T-55 Tanks
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 05:01 AM UTC
They advertise a T-55AM and a T-55AMV on the side of the T-54B box. Do they or will they have a 1958 version T-55 in the works?

Even better a T-34/85? I haven't liked either the Dragon or the Academy kits.
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 05:25 AM UTC
Hi;

For A Specific Year or A Special Varient it's going to be A Wait & See event. Your most likely to have Better Luck with one of the AM boy's lke SP Design or Legend !!

CHEERS; MIKE.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 04:23 PM UTC
I'd rather wait for the plastic.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 05:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Don't hold your breath, Tom! It doesn't work...
exgrunt
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 301 posts
Armorama: 301 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 07:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Why? For the most part, aftermarket resin is of higher quality than plastic. Unless it's a cost issue, I'd prefer to go with resin bits instead of waiting for a plastic release that may or may not ever be released. I've used SP Designs on a couple of kits and their stuff rocks. Excellent quality, very reasonably priced.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 04:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Why? For the most part, aftermarket resin is of higher quality than plastic. Unless it's a cost issue, I'd prefer to go with resin bits instead of waiting for a plastic release that may or may not ever be released. I've used SP Designs on a couple of kits and their stuff rocks. Excellent quality, very reasonably priced.

AGREE- The masters for resin parts, update & backdate kits, conversion sets, etc, are made to pack more detail into the molds, which sometime is just not possible with the plastic kits. This is why we have so many model-aftermarket companies out there to choose from.

Granted, the resin bits and pieces, especially conversions, updates, backdates and full resin or multi-media kits can run into a lot of money, but as long as there are modellers that WILL shell out the extra bucks in order to build, detail or convert that special vehicle that the plastic manufacturers just DON'T WANT to bother with, or CAN'T produce, there will be aftermarket manufacturers who will only be too happy to take our money... If you're going to take this hobby, ESPECIALLY this particular niche within a hobby seriously, then sooner or later, you're going to bite the bullet and buy what you want, or "need"...

"You", being a general term, not meant to point out anyone in particular...
JimboHUN
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 461 posts
Armorama: 443 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 05:06 PM UTC
I think sooner or later all versions will eventually come out.

Plus they have many overlapping parts so you have many possibilities.

From the T-54B late you can almost build a T-55A and also an early T-55 I think because there is a good number of unused parts at the end (engine deck, hatches, etc.).

And one of their latest anouncement is this:

Cheers,

Adam
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 03:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

AGREE- The masters for resin parts, update & backdate kits, conversion sets, etc, are made to pack more detail into the molds, which sometime is just not possible with the plastic kits. This is why we have so many model-aftermarket companies out there to choose from.

Granted, the resin bits and pieces, especially conversions, updates, backdates and full resin or multi-media kits can run into a lot of money, but as long as there are modellers that WILL shell out the extra bucks in order to build, detail or convert that special vehicle that the plastic manufacturers just DON'T WANT to bother with, or CAN'T produce, there will be aftermarket manufacturers who will only be too happy to take our money... If you're going to take this hobby, ESPECIALLY this particular niche within a hobby seriously, then sooner or later, you're going to bite the bullet and buy what you want, or "need"...

"You", being a general term, not meant to point out anyone in particular...

My problem is that resin is excellent for dinky independent parts like aftermarket heads and hands or even figures. But I tend to screw up royally with resin vehicle conversions that are more complex than drop-in add-ons.
exgrunt
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 301 posts
Armorama: 301 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 07:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My problem is that resin is excellent for dinky independent parts like aftermarket heads and hands or even figures. But I tend to screw up royally with resin vehicle conversions that are more complex than drop-in add-ons.

I hear you.. But in this case, I think to update the Takom kit, all you are talking about are some resin replacement parts that should be drop-ins. No mayor surgery required.

On the TAKOM kit, my biggest gripe is the grossly overscalled headlight guards. I really wish someone would produce a wire replacement. If not, it would mean lots of fiddly work and probably soldering as well. Just not worth it.

Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 08:05 PM UTC
Why? I think the guards look inscale by a few degrees, particually compared to the Tamiya kit's attempt at those parts.
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 06:40 AM UTC
Hi Guys;

I think that there are something's that we are just going to have to live with, meaning the level limitations of producing certain parts in plastic size wise. In 1/35 there is only certain parts that are almost impossable to get rite scale wise; Compare the Level of detail's in Tamiya's T-72 & then Look at A T-72 from Trumpeter, were getting better with each new release. The Smaller Detailed part that they will make will Cost Us More !!
As of this point in time were living in A period of Plenty, and Companies like Trumpeter are Spoiling us Rotten !! We see all of this New Stuff being released and from New Kit maker's that we want Everything we can think of; We can only Hope the New Guys like Takom, Tiger Models, Panda, keep producing New Stuff !!

CHEERS; MIKE.
 _GOTOTOP