_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Which PE Sets are Correct?? Panther II
Stands24
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 70 posts
Armorama: 64 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 08:13 PM UTC
Please note, you WILL have to manually copy all the links including the bits after the commas because this site didn't count the commas as part of the links for some reason.

Hey guys. So I bought this set of Aber side skirts because I'm trying to make a Panther II. The product ID is Aber 35-223.
http://www.aber.net.pl/detal,672.html

Only to find out that they do not fit with this set of side supports. The hooks are not in proper spots to mate with the skirts.
http://www.aber.net.pl/upload/pdf/5b1c61c8cc73505c82e759888e218f66.pdf

This is the other release of the side supports on Aber's website; I cannot find the version I have on their website (Aber 35-A24). This version is Aber 35-A024, where the product ID is only differentiated by a new 0.
http://www.aber.net.pl/detal,498.html

So, here is the other release of side skirts for the Panther G/F, Aber 35-A028.
http://www.aber.net.pl/detal,790.html

I just want to know if I've suffered from a terrible fate and ordered non-matching sets. Right now I'm looking at tearing off the lower parts of the attachment hooks and super gluing them in "proper" spots. I'd just really like to know if this can be as simple as buying a new set and snapping off the current side bars, then I'd just have to somehow remove the excess super glue residue.

Long story short, I need to know the difference between these...

As well as the difference between these.

I'd also like to know which set of side bars go with which set of skirts. Thanks.

After doing just a tiny bit of searching I noticed that the Dragon brand isn't mentioned in these specific Aber sets... My Panther II is Dragon. Voyager does have an upgrade kit for this Dragon Panther II. Should I simply be using Voyager and not Aber for this kit?????
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 08:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Please note, you WILL have to manually copy all the links including the bits after the commas because this site didn't count the commas as part of the links for some reason.

Hey guys. So I bought this set of Aber side skirts because I'm trying to make a Panther II. The product ID is Aber 35-223.

Only to find out that they do not fit with this set of side supports. The hooks are not in proper spots to mate with the skirts.

This is the other release of the side supports on Aber's website; I cannot find the version I have on their website (Aber 35-A24). This version is Aber 35-A024, where the product ID is only differentiated by a new 0.

So, here is the other release of side skirts for the Panther G/F, Aber 35-A028.

I just want to know if I've suffered from a terrible fate and ordered non-matching sets. Right now I'm looking at tearing off the lower parts of the attachment hooks and super gluing them in "proper" spots. I'd just really like to know if this can be as simple as buying a new set and snapping off the current side bars, then I'd just have to somehow remove the excess super glue residue.

Long story short, I need to know the difference between these...

As well as the difference between these.

I'd also like to know which set of side bars go with which set of skirts. Thanks.

After doing just a tiny bit of searching I noticed that the Dragon brand isn't mentioned in these specific Aber sets... My Panther II is Dragon. Voyager does have an upgrade kit for this Dragon Panther II. Should I simply be using Voyager and not Aber for this kit?????

The VOYAGER "Panther II" PE set came out after DRAGON re-released their old, and incorrect kit of their "Panther II" in the "Orange Box"- The VOYAGER set will PROBABLY suit your needs better than trying to mix and match all those ABER PE sets...
Stands24
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 09:54 PM UTC
Alright, fair enough! This is the 1994 original release though, not the Cyber Hobby re-release. I hope it still works.

Does Voyager sell individual part sets like Aber or do they only do the large full-vehicle upgrade sets? I really just need the side supports and side skirts.

Also, now I need to make a thread to find out how to remove super glue.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 03:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Alright, fair enough! This is the 1994 original release though, not the Cyber Hobby re-release. I hope it still works.

Does Voyager sell individual part sets like Aber or do they only do the large full-vehicle upgrade sets? I really just need the side supports and side skirts.

DRAGON didn't change a single thing as far as the Tank itself is concerned- All they did was add some figures to the kit, and I believe they discarded the "link-to-link" Tracks in favor of those detestable "DS" Tracks- Not 100% sure about the Tracks, but that's what CYBERHOBBY/DRAGON has been doing with most of their re-boxed kits. After all is said and done however, you should be OK with the VOYAGER PE set...

Re: "Super Glue Remover" Try ZAP Products' CA Glue Remover- It's available in small, soft plastic "squeeze bottles". It works great for me. Easy to find on ebay, and in some hardware stores. Use it sparingly...

Re: ABER vs. VOYAGER PE sets- The VOYAGER PE set is only sold as a single package, but it's NOT loaded up with everything but the kitchen sink. It's actually a nice, comprehensive set. Shop around- You can get the VOYAGER PE set for decent pricing on ebay, most likely from one of the Asian vendors. CHECK SHIPPING PRICES before you commit...

All is not lost; you can still use some of the ABER "Panther II" PE parts, as they are mostly oriented towards "real" Panthers; the DRAGON "Panther II" is basically a figment of the imagination of someone who got lazy at DRAGON, what with the incorrect Road Wheel spacing and their positions, the shape and size of the "Schmallturm" is incorrect- Some modellers have said that the "Panther II" was supposed to use the Panther G Turret..? I don't know for sure. I opted for the ACCURATE ARMOUR "Schmallturm" on my "Panther II", instead. The Rear Engine Deck is also questionable, insofar as the Engine Fan & Heater Housings are also supposedly incorrect.

Re; The DRAGON "Panther II" kit, itself:

I "corrected" my own DRAGON "Panther II" (1994-issue) kit by using certain parts that I "pirated" from the older TAMIYA "Late" Panther G kit, (Engine Fan & Heater Housings, and a few other "doo-dads"), and the DRAGON kit's Tracks and Sprockets were replaced with the FRIULISMO Tiger II "Transport Track & Sprockets" set. I used the ACCURATE ARMOR "Panther II Schmallturm, Mantlet and Main Gun" set, in lieu of the totally wrong DRAGON parts, and I re-arranged the positions of the Road Wheels and Road Wheel Axles/Bellcranks to match the side-view drawing of the "Panther II" in the RYTON "Panther" (Pz.Kpfw.V) and "Jagdpanther" book, by Uwe Feist. It is with this drawing and information in the RYTON book that led me to replace the DRAGON kit's Tracks and Sprockets with the FRIUL set. I liked the "look" of the "Panther II" in the RYTON book much better than what DRAGON had come up with. Keep in mind that the "Panther II" was essentially a "Paper-Panzer", even though a "general mock-up" that looked very much like a late Panther G was built...

It's up to you whether you want to take things to such an extreme as I did, but I think all the extra effort was worth it, at least for me, anyway...

GOOD LUCK, and let us know how you do!
Stands24
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 04:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

DRAGON didn't change a single thing as far as the Tank itself is concerned- All they did was add some figures to the kit, and I believe they discarded the "link-to-link" Tracks in favor of those detestable "DS" Tracks- Not 100% sure about the Tracks, but that's what CYBERHOBBY/DRAGON has been doing with most of their re-boxed kits. After all is said and done however, you should be OK with the VOYAGER PE set...

Re: "Super Glue Remover" Try ZAP Products' CA Glue Remover- It's available in small, soft plastic "squeeze bottles". It works great for me. Easy to find on ebay, and in some hardware stores. Use it sparingly...

Re: ABER vs. VOYAGER PE sets- The VOYAGER PE set is only sold as a single package, but it's NOT loaded up with everything but the kitchen sink. It's actually a nice, comprehensive set. Shop around- You can get the VOYAGER PE set for decent pricing on ebay, most likely from one of the Asian vendors. CHECK SHIPPING PRICES before you commit...

All is not lost; you can still use some of the EDUARD "Panther II" PE parts, as they are mostly oriented towards "real" Panthers; the DRAGON "Panther II" is basically a figment of the imagination of someone at DRAGON, what with incorrect Road Wheel spacing and and their positions, the shape and size of the "Schmallturm" is incorrect, (Some have said that the "Panther II" was supposed to use the Panther G Turret..?), and the rear Engine Deck is also incorrect, insofar as the Engine Fan Housings are also incorrect.

I "corrected" my own DRAGON "Panther II" (1994-issue) kit by using certain parts that I "pirated" from the older TAMIYA "Late" Panther G kit, (Engine Fan Housings, and a few other "doo-dads"), and the DRAGON kit's Tracks and Sprockets were replaced with the FRIULISMO Tiger II "Transport Track & Sprockets" set. I used the ACCURATE MINIATURES "Panther II Schmallturm, Mantlet and Main Gun" set, in lieu of the totally wrong DRAGON parts, and I re-arranged the positions of the Road Wheels and Road Wheel Axles/Bellcranks to match the side-view drawing of the "Panther II" in the RYTON "Panther" (Pz.Kpfw.V) and "Jagdpanther" book, by Uwe Feist. It is with this drawing and information in the RYTON book that led me to replace the DRAGON kit's Tracks and Sprockets with the FRIUL set. I liked the "look" of the "Panther II" in the RYTON book much better than what DRAGON had come up with. Keep in mind that the "Panther II" was essentially a "Paper-Panzer", even though a "general mock-up" that looked very much like a late Panther G was built...

It's up to you whether you want to take things to such an extreme as I did, but I think all the extra effort was worth it, at least for me, anyway...

Will definitely get that CA Debonder you suggested; got a lot of buildup around the side supports. I hope it doesn't ruin the plastic!

Concerning these side skirts, for now I will try to move the hooks around since I figured out how to make it look okay. If that fails I can always snap off the supports and try Voyager's stuff. Or try the different Aber sets above... Will have to see.

I got the Friul tracks as well, but I kept the running gear the same since I like the way it looks as-is. The most major change was the entire replacing of the turret with Trumpeter's E-50 Schmalturm. I kept the gun barrel and mantlet from the Dragon kit though. I also added an IR device from Greatwall Hobby's German Infrared set. You can see my build log here: http://www.scale-models.co.uk/topic/27069-dragon-panther-ii-in-135/

ALSO! The Panther II hull was actually fully built and sits in Fort Benning, Georgia. c: I hope to see it sometime. As for the turret, only a weight was fitted to simulate the weight of the turret. The Panther II was never actually supposed to have the Schmalturm BUT I don't think any of us want to scratchbuild the proper turret. xD
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 04:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

All is not lost; you can still use some of the EDUARD "Panther II" PE parts, as they are mostly oriented towards "real" Panthers; the DRAGON "Panther II" is basically a figment of the imagination of someone at DRAGON, what with incorrect Road Wheel spacing and and their positions, the shape and size of the "Schmallturm" is incorrect, (Some have said that the "Panther II" was supposed to use the Panther G Turret..?), and the rear Engine Deck is also incorrect, insofar as the Engine Fan Housings are also incorrect.

I "corrected" my own DRAGON "Panther II" (1994-issue) kit by using certain parts that I "pirated" from the older TAMIYA "Late" Panther G kit, (Engine Fan Housings, and a few other "doo-dads"), and the DRAGON kit's Tracks and Sprockets were replaced with the FRIULISMO Tiger II "Transport Track & Sprockets" set. I used the ACCURATE MINIATURES "Panther II Schmallturm, Mantlet and Main Gun" set, in lieu of the totally wrong DRAGON parts, and I re-arranged the positions of the Road Wheels and Road Wheel Axles/Bellcranks to match the side-view drawing of the "Panther II" in the RYTON "Panther" (Pz.Kpfw.V) and "Jagdpanther" book, by Uwe Feist. It is with this drawing and information in the RYTON book that led me to replace the DRAGON kit's Tracks and Sprockets with the FRIUL set. I liked the "look" of the "Panther II" in the RYTON book much better than what DRAGON had come up with. Keep in mind that the "Panther II" was essentially a "Paper-Panzer", even though a "general mock-up" that looked very much like a late Panther G was built...

Will definitely get that CA Debonder you suggested; got a lot of buildup around the side supports. I hope it doesn't ruin the plastic!

Concerning these side skirts, for now I will try to move the hooks around since I figured out how to make it look okay. If that fails I can always snap off the supports and try Voyager's stuff. Or try the different Aber sets above... Will have to see.

I got the Friul tracks as well, but I kept the running gear the same since I like the way it looks as-is. The most major change was the entire replacing of the turret with Trumpeter's E-50 Schmalturm. I kept the gun barrel and mantlet from the Dragon kit though. I also added an IR device from Greatwall Hobby's German Infrared set. You can see my build log here: http://www.scale-models.co.uk/topic/27069-dragon-panther-ii-in-135/

ALSO! The Panther II hull was actually fully built and sits in Fort Benning, Georgia. c: I hope to see it sometime. As for the turret, only a weight was fitted to simulate the weight of the turret. The Panther II was never actually supposed to have the Schmalturm BUT I don't think any of us want to scratchbuild the proper turret. xD

NICE BUILD!!!

BTW, I just checked photos of the Fort Benning "Panther II" online- The "Panther II" that you're referring to has a Panther G Turret mounted on it, so our "Panther IIs w/Schmallturm" are actually following the intended German "Paper-Panzer" "Panther II concept"... I also followed the RYTON book's illustration of the "Panther II's" Main Gun, which has slightly "busier"-looking details. I thought that these details would add a little bit more "visual-interest" to my impression of this vehicle...
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 2,493 posts
Armorama: 2,344 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 04:47 AM UTC
Not to hijack this, but I'd like to know for "knowing" sake.

What's the differences in the Panther F and the Panther II?
Stands24
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 05:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

NICE BUILD!!!

BTW, I just checked photos of the Fort Benning "Panther II" online- The "Panther II" that you're referring to has a Panther G Turret mounted on it, so our "Panther IIs w/Schmallturm" are actually following the intended German "Paper-Panzer" "Panther II concept"... I also followed the RYTON book's illustration of the "Panther II's" Main Gun, which has slightly "busier"-looking details. I thought that these details would add a little bit more "visual-interest" to my impression of this vehicle...

Thanks! I had to do a lot of little modifications along the way...

The Panther G turret was slapped on since the Americans couldn't find a proper turret for it (it was never made). Is this the drawing you're referring to?
http://forum.warthunder.com/uploads/monthly_06_2014/post-228291-0-51401100-1402620773.jpg

If so, someone made a model of what a full Panther II probably would have looked like.
http://www.dishmodels.ru/gshow.htm?p=1343&lng=E

Quoted Text

Not to hijack this, but I'd like to know for "knowing" sake.

What's the differences in the Panther F and the Panther II?

Lol you're fine bud!
The Panther II was designed as a tougher Panther basically. At first it was supposed to mount the 88mm KwK43, but designers eventually agreed on the 75mm KwK42 since they weren't sure if the 88 would fit in the turret. A turret was drawn but never made, but the hull was. Refer to my links before your quote to see what I mean. It was supposed to have thicker armor as well as a better engine and transmission, allowing it to be much faster in forward and reverse despite the heavier armor. The Panther II was cancelled due to not really being needed and being impractical at the late stage of the war as materials dwindled.

The Panther F was a somewhat more feasible design, supposed to succeed the Panther G. It's got the same hull as the Panther G as far as I know. It would have mounted the Schmalturm (and you can see this in historical photos) and the 75mm KwK42. It never saw production since the war was ending. One of the Schmalturms was sent to a British target range, and currently resides in the Bovington Tank Museum all shot up. The second Schmalturm was supposedly taken by the Americans and we don't know what happened after that. Supposedly it is sitting in storage somewhere...
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 2,493 posts
Armorama: 2,344 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 07:11 AM UTC
Thank you Ryan! I appreciate you giving me that info.
Stands24
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 07:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you Ryan! I appreciate you giving me that info.

Anytime bud. I love the mid and late-war German tanks.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 05:28 PM UTC
Hi, Ryan!

The "War Thunder" drawing is definitely NOT pictured in the RYTON "Panther" book which I've been referring to. The "Schmallturm" that I'm referring to is what has been generally accepted by modellers to be THE "Schmallturm"-design that has been used on numerous plastic and resin models, i.e, the one that is pictured in the RYTON "Panther" book, and many other publications. That doesn't mean that the turret in your drawing is wrong, just that the "other" "Schmallturm" seems to be more "popular", if I can even use that word...

The "Panther II" in your second link, is virtually identical to what I wound up with in building my "Panther II", except for the paint-job. I opted for German Primer Red below the Upper Hull Sponsons, with the entire vehicle sprayed in Dunkelgelb, and over-sprayed with wide Olivgruen "cloud/band"-patterns, and the circular, segmented stencils done in Dunkelgelb. I like this color scheme, and my "hypothetical Panther II" seemed to be a likely candidate for this particular scheme...
Stands24
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 05:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi, Ryan!

The "War Thunder" drawing is definitely NOT pictured in the RYTON "Panther" book which I've been referring to. The "Schmallturm" that I'm referring to is what has been generally accepted by modellers to be THE "Schmallturm"-design that has been used on numerous plastic and resin models, i.e, the one that is pictured in the RYTON "Panther" book, and many other publications. That doesn't mean that the turret in your drawing is wrong, just that the "other" "Schmallturm" seems to be more "popular", if I can even use that word...

The "Panther II" in your second link, is virtually identical to what I wound up with in building my "Panther II", except for the paint-job. I opted for German Primer Red below the Upper Hull Sponsons, with the entire vehicle sprayed in Dunkelgelb, and over-sprayed with wide Olivgruen "cloud/band"-patterns, and the circular, segmented stencils done in Dunkelgelb. I like this color scheme, and my "hypothetical Panther II" seemed to be a likely candidate for this particular scheme...

You should post a picture or two; sounds like something I'd like to see!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 06:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi, Ryan!

You should post a picture or two; sounds like something I'd like to see!

THANKS! Wish I could- I don't have a digital camera, otherwise I'd have posted pics of my work long ago...
 _GOTOTOP