_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
1967 AFC Club Shot Kal lower hull hatchs
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 08:02 AM UTC
Hi All,

I started the AFV Club 1967 Shot Kal some time ago, as I really wanted to try my hand at a 'regular' Shot Kal before trying to recreate Col. Kahalani's tank with the 1973 version. Today, I restarted the build after a probably 3 year hiatus, with only the wheels and the running gear ( and some of the upper hull details) completed. I have the excellent SabingaMartin 'Centurion Tanks of the IDF' book to use as a reference, and I surely will be using it! However, I note one apparently significant (if you are going for the ultimate in detail) error in molding. On the underside of the lower hull in the rear, there are, on the real 1973 vehicles, 5 hatches, three on the 'upper' angled rear plate, and 2 on the lower angled rear plate. This is shown on the 1973 Shot Kal model box, and these 5 hatches are modeled into the plastic, again, for the 1973 tank kit which is great since I'm going for maximum fidelity for the Kahalani tank (within my VERY limited modeling skills, that is). I have A Voyager aftermarket photo etch set, and IsraDecals for the Kahalani tank.

All this as a setup for my question on the 5 rear under hull hatches that are not present on the 1967 Shot Kal model. If I'm not mistaken, the VAST majority of the SabingaMartin book shows later versions of the Shot Kal, and I can't determine if those 5 hatches should be present on the 1967 version of the tank. I've just painted the underside (a Tamiya mix to duplicate Humbrol enamel 72), which looks great, but I'm not sure if the tank needs those hatches, and if it does, does anyone have any idea about how to scratch build those hatches. Again, this is the 1967 AVF Club model kit. Also, while I know there are hundreds (maybe literally) of posts on IDF color, I think I've determined, based on Michael Mass' statements, that a 1967, and maybe the 1973 version that will be used for the Kahalani tank should be painted like the Humbrol 72 color, which is not hugely different than the current IDF color, but it is different. I created an absolute perfect mix with Tamiya colors that recreates Humbrol enamel 72 dead nuts. Regarding color, I've seen photos of models (admittedly a computer screen stinks to verify color fidelity) that is far more light and yellowish that Humbrol 72.

So, anyone have any idea about how to address (or if I need to address) the under hull hatch, and if the color (Tamiya mix of Humbrol 72) would be correct for the 1967 and 1973 Shot Kal Centurions. I posted this over in IDF-Modeling too, but it seems like sometimes it takes a long time to get responses over there. Thanks in advance.
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 08:44 AM UTC
I don't know for sure, but since the Shot Kal had a new extended rear, the hatches were probably new for that modification.

The Centurion of the Six-Day War was (Shot) and didn't have the rear end modification (certainly not the Diesel engine).
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2016 - 05:25 PM UTC
Thanks, Gary. I think you are correct. Those hatches are in the lower hull extension which was added for the new engine, and would not be present in the earlier Shot tanks. Also, since the hatches are on the AFV Club 1973 Shot, I think it's clear that they just aren't there on the real tank. Thanks again.
 _GOTOTOP