_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Drybrushing question
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2016 - 08:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

For the record -

The reason I was asking about the drybrushing was because I wanted to highlight the great many rivets on a WWI Mk. 1 Male tank. From pictures, the rivets really, really stand out but my finish had sorta washed them out. I'm planning on applying a dark wash to help pop them, but I wanted them to really jump off before I applied the dusty weathering.

It seems silly to me how much angst is generated about this technique. If it works, it works. Moving on!

Hi, Jake!

I think that dry-brushing will be your answer, if you really want to make those bolts/rivets pop...

I don't think that it's so much "angst", (German for "fear"), as all of us wanting to put in our "two-cents-worth" and then elaborating on said "two-cents", myself especially...
CDK
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 358 posts
Armorama: 339 posts
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2016 - 08:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It seems silly to me how much angst is generated about this technique. If it works, it works. Moving on!

Like Dennis, I don't see any 'angst'.

This simply looks like a discussion on a discussion board to me.

Quoted Text

If you look back at my original post in this thread, I started out by explaining WHY I prefer "soft" Red Sable brushes for my dry-brushing over "stiff"-bristled brushes.

Actually Dennis, you start out by saying "I tend to stay away from Artists' oil paints when I'm dry-brushing" and since I was the only dude to mention using oils in the thread, I chose to respond to you.

My original post in this thread was busting the chops of my friend Pat Stansell, who made a joke about modeling magazines and I found it funny that he would say that considering he publishes one.

It wasn't until you mentioned oil paints and easy co tried to corrected me about using black that I chose to get more involved. This kinda' lends itself to the 'we' versus 'I' thing in my eyes, if everyone stuck to explaining how they do it and refrained from 'correcting' others, the joke to Pat would have been my only post in the thread (and I guess a lot less 'angst' lol).
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 01:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

For the record -

The reason I was asking about the drybrushing was because I wanted to highlight the great many rivets on a WWI Mk. 1 Male tank. From pictures, the rivets really, really stand out but my finish had sorta washed them out. I'm planning on applying a dark wash to help pop them, but I wanted them to really jump off before I applied the dusty weathering.

i do Drybrush just for Highlight some corner or other parts whit a "non-defined shape" but for rivets,caps of petrol and some deck or hatches were the light hits more then other parts or small details have to pop-up i paint it with the same color in a lighter shade,for me is a cleaner technique then dry brush were some time the paint dont go just were you want,dont worry if looks to light because after with the washes everything blend together perfecly...i know took some time with all the rivets and parts of the IWW stuff but it works really well...at least for me on my FT-17
 _GOTOTOP