_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
MR Modellbau: Cutting Through the Hedgerows
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 01:03 PM UTC

MR Modellbau announces the availability of its hedgerow cutter.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 09:24 PM UTC
These look good and it's always nice to have a couple handy for those Normandy dios. But I'm confused, cause the cutter in photo #1 looks different than photo #2 and #3. Which one is in the box??
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 12:53 AM UTC
My guess would be that you and an option of which style to build.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 07:52 PM UTC
Since these cutters were made from cut up German beach obstacles, I've found that scratching them from bits of Plastuct I-beams, and angles (depending on the type of cutter), cheaper, and usually more realistic. And quite easy to make. All you need is a clear photo of one (and there are many). Since they were all hand-made by an army of engineers, you could expect some variance between examples.
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 1,095 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 09:40 PM UTC
Photo #1 is the base, #2 and #3 are the base with the triangular "wings".

G
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 05:28 PM UTC
Some food for thought (by S.Zaloga )

http://www.missing-lynx.com/articles/usa/zaloga_culin_cutter.htm

H.P.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 06:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Interesting, very interesting
I have always wondered how the Culin cutter which is narrower than the width of the tank hull (i.e. width between the tracks) could make a hole big enough for the whole tank to get through.
Using them to make holes to put explosives in makes sense in a way but the poor sod handling the explosives would be exposed to enemy fire.

I would have tried with a conical "hat" on a steel tube, the "hat" has a larger diameter than the tube, the tube is firmly attached to the tank (like the Culin cutter), the tube contains an explosive charge which is fixed to the "hat" and with a sufficiently long cord and rip detonator to the inner end of the tube. The "hat" has a larger diameter than the tube and is very loosely connected to the tube. The tank rams the tube/tubes into the hedgerow and slowly backs out, the hat sticks in the hole since the "brim" is larger than the tube, the explosive charge stays with the "hat" since it is tied to it, the rip cord is pulled out when the tank backs away and the detonator blows the charge. If cardboard tubes were available they could be used to enclose the explosives as long as the whole thing fits inside the steel tube. With more advanced workshop facilities it could be possible to have prongs on the "hat" with springs to push them out into the soil of the hedge (think arrowhead with barbs).

/ Robin
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 07:58 PM UTC
The primary reason for the hedge cutter was not to make a hole by itself, but, by forking into the base of the hedgerow, preventing the tank from riding up and over and exposing it's thin belly plate to AT fire. The tank then just forced it's way through the hedgerow by brute force. The one above by MR Modelbau does look a little small.
VintageRPM
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 300 posts
Armorama: 207 posts
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2016 - 02:37 AM UTC
MR Modelbau has some interesting stuff, but does anyone outside of Germany carry their products? Shipping from Germany to the US is ludicrous.
 _GOTOTOP