_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
RyeField: Tiger I Mid
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 03:36 PM UTC

Rye Field Model will be releasing a new Tiger I (Mid) with full interior

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 04:37 PM UTC
Groovy The recent trend of full interiors included is more than welcome
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 06:03 PM UTC
When Tiger "217" was commanded by Otto Carius, it had the old "flat" tracks. They don't seem to be in this kit. The kit depicts in in winter whitewash, i.e. months before Carius took possession of the tank.

David
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 07:35 PM UTC
Can you find any "pro's" to this kit? Is the only "con" incorrect box cover art, or wrong choice of tracks?
Yankasippi
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
KitMaker: 134 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 08:43 PM UTC
I think that the David is right, don't depict something that you can find out is not correct. The kit might be full of good stuff but to advertise it as Otto Carius' tank is wrong. And Biggles, did you know that criticism like this is expected by RMF?I have communicated with on the subject of encouragement and helpful criticism and they have told me that they welcome criticism in order to have more accurate product. By pointing this out, David is actually helping the company. And me, well, I like RMF Tigers very much, they started the rush to make the full interiour kit the standard and there are details on the kit that previously one had to make if they wanted to display a Tiger in a certain circumstance. My hat is off to RMF and David Bryden!
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 09:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Can you find any "pro's" to this kit? Is the only "con" incorrect box cover art, or wrong choice of tracks?

There are plenty of "pros" to any kit, and you'll find them in its marketing materials. When a model company do something right, they know it, and it's their job to tell you about it.

The "cons" of a model kit are presumably not known to the model company that designed it. Historians and researchers are the people who will see the "cons", and that is their contribution to your purchasing decision.

So, for example, the "pros" include this being a Mid Tiger at a (presumably) lower price, the interior, the fact that no other company has ever offered a plausible Mid interior in plastic, the tracks that have realistic sag, etc.

I expect that there will be many "cons" based on the manufacturer's past performance. For example, the CAD doesn't show the engine being any more connected to the tank than their previous Tiger engines.

David
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 10:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Rye Field Model will be releasing a new Tiger I (Mid) with full interior

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

"another tiger..." No further comment is necessary...
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 11:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You're assuming that everybody has the same opinions as you.
But we don't.
If you don't make a comment, we won't know what you are thinking.

David
48thscale
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 229 posts
Armorama: 109 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 - 12:31 AM UTC
I didn't do any "axis" models...at all. That changed when TAKOM did their King Tiger with all the internal bits, combined with my recent visit to the Saumur tank museum where that machine is on display. This Tiger looks like a serious fun build, with all you need in the box, something I really appreciate. I'm also not a historian, so I guess that makes me one of those modellers that are easy to please:-) Still won't do an SS machine though...too many very, very bad associations. So if RFM is listening, please some more choice in less worrisome representations...
Blackstoat
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 561 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 - 03:27 AM UTC
Love the idea of full interior.

BUT I wish they would give some thought as to how it will be displayed. If you are one of those who think it is sufficient that YOU know it's there that's great an hats off to you.

Personally after putting all that work in I want more than a glimpse through a hatch. Also leaving panels off isn't ideal for me

what I would like is optional pre- formed cutaway external armour to allow viewing of the interior... Perhaps from just one side. I see it all the time in museums eg DAK Panzer III at Bovington
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 - 04:50 AM UTC
I knew there was a reason I was holding off on adding a mid-Tiger to my collection.

I stayed away from panzers for a long time and the last one I built was a Bandai kit in middle school. Until last year that is. So this could make it on to my shelf.

Anyone notice something that is very conspicuous by its absence? Usually associated art would have it even if the kit doesn't. The "z" word and I don't mean zombies.
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 - 05:03 AM UTC
The kit's box art has full Zimmerit, and as for the plastic, we haven't seen it yet.

David
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 - 05:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The kit's box art has full Zimmerit, and as for the plastic, we haven't seen it yet.

David

Thank you. Right after posting I realized I probably just wasn't seeing clearly on my phone.

Macreload
Visit this Community
Beijing, China / 简体
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 - 12:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

When Tiger "217" was commanded by Otto Carius, it had the old "flat" tracks. They don't seem to be in this kit. The kit depicts in in winter whitewash, i.e. months before Carius took possession of the tank.

David

So David, just want to know more about Otto Carius's tank. When Otto Carius was at narwa, before he change his tank. did he use an early type and in white wash? and what is the number of that tank?

Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 - 12:44 PM UTC
We don't have enough photos or information to be comfortable about this question. But, as far as I know, this is his first Tiger, an "early" numbered 213.

David
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 - 12:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

You're assuming that everybody has the same opinions as you.
But we don't.
If you don't make a comment, we won't know what you are thinking.

David

Hello, David!

I should think that my "YAWN" emoticon, " ", might have expressed my opinion more than adequately, rather than posting some tiresome, and oft-repeated diatribe which might have only raised the hackles of Tiger fans...

You, in turn, are assuming that my own personal comment and opinion is, in my own mind, shared by the other contributors in this thread- By NO means. My opinion is my own. If anyone should care to agree with me, then it is their own prerogative to do so, and I DO NOT EXPECT that anyone else will. That's all.

So...

"another tiger..." (big deal...)
Removed by original poster on 11/01/16 - 08:59:51 (GMT).
Macreload
Visit this Community
Beijing, China / 简体
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 - 02:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

We don't have enough photos or information to be comfortable about this question. But, as far as I know, this is his first Tiger, an "early" numbered 213.

David

Many thanks
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 - 09:03 PM UTC
Speaking of "cons"; I've posted what I consider the first real "con" of this kit... based on the one single sprue photo that we have seen so far.

Floor duct on Rye Field's Mid Tiger

Not an easy thing to fix.

David
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 - 09:30 PM UTC
Not easy, as you pointed out; but, entirely doable.
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 - 11:01 PM UTC
While I'm sure that this kit is very nice -problems notwithstanding- I can't help but feel that we're trundling down the "every variant in creation plus one" that Dragon loves to sucker us in on...and as to the Zimmerit issue, oh well, out comes the Tamiya putty and scrapers yet again.
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 - 11:05 PM UTC
I don't agree. "Final Mid Tiger" is a major version, there were about 200 of them; in fact it's strange that Rye Field give us so few decals in this kit.

Now, the "Bergepanzer Tiger" was certainly a milestone along that road!

David
thehermit
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 277 posts
Armorama: 171 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 08:26 PM UTC
I've said it before and I'll say it again...pros, cons, early, mid, late...who cares...it's just another Tiger...buy it and build it or STFU...!!We really do like to see ourselves in print don't we...including myself...LMAO...!!!
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 10:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've said it before and I'll say it again...pros, cons, early, mid, late...who cares...

I care. I, and I'm sure many others as well, don't like to pay a wad of cash for inaccurate kits. And I'll take Byrden's opinion over yours any day of the year.
ChrisK89
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 80 posts
Armorama: 73 posts
Posted: Friday, November 04, 2016 - 12:31 AM UTC
Question is.. what do you prefer?

1. a somewhat accurate kit in need of many AM things like PE details, tow cables and tracks which will cost all in all way over 100$

or

2. a reasonable accurate kit which doesn't need any aftermarket pieces and better details for half the price?

I for one would always choose the second option cause many of these "inaccuracies" can be fixed fairly easy in no time.

cheers Chris
 _GOTOTOP